• August 22, 2018, 03:06:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ram Air Kit  (Read 6993 times)

GoFaster

• Learner rider
Ram Air Kit
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:35:35 AM »

Hey everyone.. I have access to a large machine shop and I'm building a new air box with a ram air kit. Does any think this would be a marketable part if i can keep the price down? This isn't a homemade hack job but a proffesionally built one of a kind performance part.. Please let me know what you guys think.. This one is being built for my 06 GT650R and I will have pics soon.
Just bought a new 06 hyosung gt650r that was on a dealers showroom. Thought i would come here to see what i could learn.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

fatrat2

Re: Ram Air Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »

I'll take function over style any day.
I'm with ya ;D

Crumpy

• Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Kalgoorlie Road Rider's
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:23:42 AM »

I'd be in .... though I just bought a BMC filter lol
Kalgoorlie, Western Australia.
'08 GT250R, Irridium Spark plugs, K&N air pod, fairing bling, 'Hyo Brother's' race can...

iwantmore

• Scraping the pegs
    • Hyosung-GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:14:15 AM »

is this still just an idea yet or have you designs yet?

i toyed with the idea a long time ago and came up short, too many clearance issues, relocation of parts, etc..

the post is below is it will help you out

http://korider.com/index.php?topic=10411.0

from what i learnt aswell there would be way more variables than you could imagine (if it worked as intended) and correct jetting would be almost impossible.

and for it to be worth any of your time you would need to find the point of highest pressure on the front of bike, or it would just be a simple cold air feed.

+ the increased pressure if it works could cause air to be forced through the jets the wrong way at high speed stopping any fuel entering the chamber and blowing bubbles in the float bowl.

if you can concure (or already have) these and many other problems you are definatley onto a winner, and i would be nagging you to make one for the 125/250 bikes and wouldnt stop until i had one ;D ;D ;D ;D

hope my thread helps you out, and post some design pics when there ready

GoFaster

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »

we are way past idea stage.. The first one should be on my bike by the end of the weekend. the one i have built is made from stainless and i was thinking of going that direction because it will stay cleaner longer. let you all know how the jetting works out.  We are also putting together a stainless muffler that is based on stock but better free flow and nicer tips. hoping to have dyno reports and pictures by the end of the month.. keep you all updated.. I'm trying to build this into an entire bussiness so keep in touch. We are all very frustrated by the lack of good performance parts available for a decent price.
Just bought a new 06 hyosung gt650r that was on a dealers showroom. Thought i would come here to see what i could learn.

wahkupup

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »

I think a "ram air" system is a must have on all fuel injected models. However not so much on carb'd bikes. Like stated earlier there's alot of jetting to deal with. Plus with true "ram air" The faster you go the more air would end up in the intake. Why is this a concern? If you set the bike up at idle so the air/fuel ist stat. Then when you are running hatd (more air) you'll run lean posably damiging your motor. This is on carb models only. And the oppisite applies stat a/r ratio under load equals rich at idle. You can get a good balance point but again the time spent jetting and rejetting seems a little silly por maybe 1-2 hp increase. Plus
you can't just say every bike will need a set jet size as elivation, air temp, and so on plays a roll in jetting. But that's my 2cents

GoFaster

• Learner rider
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 03:23:20 AM »

so it seems the jetting is gonna be an issue. Maybe modifying design to work more like a cold air intake for carb models.  Ram air for efi only maybe the way too go.. Any thoughts on that... Too bad though cause stainless would look killer on the naked bikes. I have a GT650R so cant really see the stainless anyway.  All the help i can get will go along ways. I'm trying to get a business going manufacturing performance parts.

fatrat2

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:29:47 AM »

I think a "ram air" system is a must have on all fuel injected models. However not so much on carb'd bikes. Like stated earlier there's alot of jetting to deal with. Plus with true "ram air" The faster you go the more air would end up in the intake. Why is this a concern? If you set the bike up at idle so the air/fuel ist stat. Then when you are running hatd (more air) you'll run lean posably damiging your motor. This is on carb models only. And the oppisite applies stat a/r ratio under load equals rich at idle. You can get a good balance point but again the time spent jetting and rejetting seems a little silly por maybe 1-2 hp increase. Plus
you can't just say every bike will need a set jet size as elivation, air temp, and so on plays a roll in jetting. But that's my 2cents
I respectfully disagree, I believe the Mukini carbs can be tuned for this extra air intake. Same as desnorkeling or adding pods,etc.

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
  • Mesa Arizone where it nevers snows
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:09:11 AM »

Several builders have used the same MIKUNI carburetors with a turbo blow through setup, requires the vents to be pressurized and a higher PSI fuel pump.

What ever you think you can do with port injection a carburetor can and has done better.
Ride safe Mike on the Rock
All my Rides are Naked.

http://seaies.com
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

fatrat2

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3