• August 20, 2018, 04:06:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: lifting the tank height  (Read 2635 times)

hyofighter

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
lifting the tank height
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:40:04 AM »

is lifting the front of the tank for better air flow to the filter really worth it , sure i can see the potential for gains but they would be minimal , has anyone done it and was it worth the mucking around ?

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

cbrfreak

• Too old to give a damn
  • Training Wheels
Re: lifting the tank height
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »

I did mine just because that's what I did with my SV and I already had my tank off for jetting and AIS removal.

I don't really feel any difference at all in power from it.
2007 GT650R. jetted, removed AIS, raised tank .7"

pumbaa

• Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:45:06 AM »

Haven't done it on the 650 yet but I did do it on my 250. Obviously won't doing anything noticeable. But I bet it helps with the airflow at higher speeds. On the Dyno it doesn't make one bit of difference.
2012 Hyosung Comet GT650
2016 Ford Focus

BradCCM

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 06:09:30 AM »

I lifted the one on our race bike 1/4 inch. and trimmed the lip off that sits against the bottom of the tank.  I am not sure what the actual power difference was, but it will get more air.

EbAgS

• BrUnSwIcK wEsT. aUsTrAlIa.
  • Grinding the pipes
  • For some it's therapy, the rest it's motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:19:22 AM »

It will get more air, but that doesn't mean it will 'suck' more of that air in. I dont see speed making a difference. . .  its not ram air were talking.

hyofighter

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:28 AM »

so really its just more for wank factor , thats okay didnt think it would make much of a difference just wanted peoples veiws

BradCCM

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »

Going back through my notes. We had to raise the needle a half clip to compensate for more air.  It does not affect anything with speed because there is no ram air system. But if you create a larger area for the bike to get air from. It will increase power.  Just not a lot. For us it was about 1/2 a sec faster per lap on average. Normal street/track rider would not notice a thing unless you are religiously checking lap times  or doing dyno runs after each mod.

hyofighter

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »

hey brad question : if i raise the needles in my carbs will i or should i have to balance the carbs  ??

EbAgS

• BrUnSwIcK wEsT. aUsTrAlIa.
  • Grinding the pipes
  • For some it's therapy, the rest it's motorcycles.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »

hey brad question : if i raise the needles in my carbs will i or should i have to balance the carbs  ??

+1 and should you balance the carbs after adjusting the A/F?

BradCCM

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »

+1 and should you balance the carbs after adjusting the A/F?

No you really should not have to if you change jets/needle position.  I have changed a ton of jets/needle position at the track and never did it, and when we checked it after it was still right on.

By A/F I think you are saying the Air Fuel mixture screw. Yes you need to adjust after that. Because you can have inconsistency from one screw to the other, even if you do the exact same amount of turns out you still can have one screw a little different than the other. It is not like installing 2 machined parts that are identical into the carbs (jets /needles). If you have one carb getting a different about of A/F than the other you will have one trying to run at a different idle than the other.  When you balance the carbs you are adjusting the butterfly's so both carbs are running at the same amount of thottle and is a mechanical adjustment.  If you changed or cleaned you air filter you would not have to. but if you changed to a different intake (pods) you would have to because they might get a little different amount of air changing the air fuel mixture.

I hope that makes sence...   :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5