• September 24, 2018, 06:17:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Vibration Fixes?  (Read 8083 times)

d3m0nsp33d

• Regular rider
Vibration Fixes?
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:03:49 AM »

Ok, so I've read a few old posts on this, one of which compared some differences between the GT650R, SV650, and Ninja 650R. 

As an owner of both the GT650R and the Ninja 650R, I have to say, sound, and feel (vibration-wise) of the Ninja 650R are better than the GT650R.  Overall, I'd still choose the GT650R, due to a few things: inverted forks, more HP, better look, no banana seat, clip ons below the triple... The cockpit overall feels a lot more comfortable and better for someone tall like myself. (6"7')  That's what led me to buy the GT650R and put my Ninja up for sale. 

So, on to the point.  The Ninja has an amazingly smooth ride.  It's like a night and day difference switching from one bike to the other.  So, I'd like it if anyone could just continue to add to this thread any and all steps/fixes they've taken to reduce the vibrations of this rumbling V-twin.  I understand it is a V-twin and you're never going to make it as smooth as a parallel twin. But, I'd like to get as close as possible...  So, whether it be some kind of synthetic oil, bar end weights, or some locktite put in the handlebars, or just whatever, post it here; not only for my sake, but for others. :)
Go big or go home.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
  • Mesa Arizone where it nevers snows
    • www.seaies.com
Re: Vibration Fixes?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:36:11 AM »

Looking at the rest of the 90' V-twins what vibrations do you find? The Gus and the Duck as well as the Honda seem to have less vibration, as some have a balance shaft and all have better QC and balance that is what I would look for.

Balancing the engine would help a lot, but I have found that the chassis has a lot as well, like the rims are unbelievable out and the bearings  leave a lot to be desired as well, you can balance out a lot of the wheel vibration and go to a soft tire that will fit the rim better and notice a vast improvement.

As for the Engine and transmission, that is the next step, but expensive to do.
Ride safe Mike on the Rock
All my Rides are Naked.

http://seaies.com
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

EbAgS

• BrUnSwIcK wEsT. aUsTrAlIa.
  • Grinding the pipes
  • For some it's therapy, the rest it's motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:56:15 AM »

You could always get a chick on the back and then you'll be posting up how to make it vibrate more!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Wooo ha ha ha!

d3m0nsp33d

• Regular rider
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:34:30 AM »

Lol.  Well, my fiance is fine on the back.  But no matter how much she may or may not enjoy that rumble between her legs.  It's too much rumble in my hands and wrist...   So, what tires would you recommend to get this vast improvement, and is there anything to do with the rims that can help short of buying new/better ones? 

--Instead of asking for details on each individual thing you listed, I'll just ask for detail on all of it...  I'd like to know not just what you think causes the vibration, but what could be done to fix that particular item.  I.E. What is wrong with the bearings, how can you fix it, or what bearings could be a better replacement? 
Go big or go home.

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:55:07 AM »

If you want to get rid of the vibes sell the GT and ride the Kwaka...

meowmix

• Northland, New Zealand.
  • Scraping the pegs
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:20:50 AM »

Bearings, blueprint balance with cams, crank etc is a major. Mike has done it (was it with the 250?). Massive amounts of time, and the bikes engine in several hundrred pieces for ages.
Unfortunately, v-twins vibrate lots. Maybe some thick foamy grips will take the edge off yer wrists, or perhaps someone somewhere has mounted the engine with urethane or hard rubber absorbers?
'04 Hyo GT250: Pod filters, rejet, 7.5wt fork oil, DIY fender elim.

'91 Toyota MR2: Pod filter, tacky plastic steering wheel.

d3m0nsp33d

• Regular rider
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:23:57 AM »

If you want to get rid of the vibes sell the GT and ride the Kwaka...

Wow.... =\  ya know i've seen some of the input you give in certain posts here and there, and I normally think you have good knowledge and stuff...

So, you either really dropped the bar here, or you're being sarcastic.  Because to me that had to be the stupidest response..  When I layed out all these things I like about the Hyo over the Kawi and the only bad thing I didn't like were the vibes, which can be toned down with some fixes... The fact that I'm super tall and the cockpit of a Hyo is more suited for a tall person than the Kawi simply isn't fixable at all... =\  And another thing, I owe like 4200 on the Kawi, and I bought the Hyo for 3,400.  So if I sell the Kawi I make money in the end.  So, again, getting rid of the Hyo I just bought to adjust for my size due to the Kawi being too small, would be extremely stupid.  If I do anything at all that involves getting rid of the Hyo, it'd be selling both bikes and gettings a Daytona 675...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 05:26:52 AM by d3m0nsp33d »
Go big or go home.

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 05:27:06 AM »

What fixes??? It's a 650 VTwin it vibrates get used to it, even if you pull the whole engine down and blueprint and balance it it's going to vibrate.

So yes I was being sarcastic...

JGNT

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 05:38:53 AM »

But, aside from the "it's normal, don't worry" comments- there have to be things on the bike that can cause excess vibration and noise?

My flatmate and I both have GT650R's, same year, same dealer- however his vibrates and rattles a lot less.

What are the usual suspects for rattles and general noise and vibrations?

d3m0nsp33d

• Regular rider
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:46:30 AM »

What fixes??? It's a 650 VTwin it vibrates get used to it, even if you pull the whole engine down and blueprint and balance it it's going to vibrate.

So yes I was being sarcastic...

Well, I know... if you'd freakin' pay attention to the beginning post.  I said "I know it's a V-twin and it's going to vibrate more than a parallell"  But, there are things that can be tweaked/adjusted to reduce the vibrations to an extent as opposed to just "dealing with it"
But, aside from the "it's normal, don't worry" comments- there have to be things on the bike that can cause excess vibration and noise?

My flatmate and I both have GT650R's, same year, same dealer- however his vibrates and rattles a lot less.

What are the usual suspects for rattles and general noise and vibrations?

+1  You have the same thinking I do.  Obviously stigger is too objective to try and understand what I'm trying to accomplish.
Go big or go home.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10