• May 24, 2019, 01:54:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: gt650 reliability  (Read 4685 times)

woody101088

• Grinding the pipes
Re: gt650 reliability
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »

Now that's a well informed post. Thanks Woody. Btw what was the cause of the blow? Thrown valve?

front cyl exploded.... Coolant and oil everywhere

and i ride the shit out of my bike 46K in less then 1 year. I ride 12 months as long as there is no snow or salt i'm out on two wheels
09 GV650 - ZX6R master cyl, EBC pads, 4POT calipers
08 GT650 - parting out PM for parts. Runs great no issues

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

pumbaa

• Forum Addict
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »

the dealer couldn't figure out what part was stressed most? How was the shape of the piston? What I don't get is why the cylinder went bang? I can understand the valves going or the piston getting destroyed. But a cracked cylinder wall seems a bit odd.
2012 Hyosung Comet GT650
2016 Ford Focus

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 01:44:42 AM »

Maybe someone he rode past shot at him?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

cruzerjd

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 05:11:58 AM »

Had my 07 since November 2010.  The only problem to note was a weak ground to the battery that i replaced and the maddening habit of kicking out of second gear back to neutral under hard acceleration.  Have about 2800 miles and ride most every day, generally to work and back.  I have replaced the exhaust, am running a K&N filter with jetting sorted.  Added a WHygofast fender eliminator and most recently  installed the GT650R adjustable rear set plates.  Also replaced the brake pads this afternoon and moved the shifter and pegs to the second higher position. All in all for $3500 with 300 miles i got a good deal.  Trying to talk the old lady into letting me buy a Triumph Street Triple right now. 

Deviantturtle

• Learner rider
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 01:07:03 PM »

the dealer couldn't figure out what part was stressed most? How was the shape of the piston? What I don't get is why the cylinder went bang? I can understand the valves going or the piston getting destroyed. But a cracked cylinder wall seems a bit odd.

Seen a few motors at hyo HQ where the piston had snapped from the piston rod, which in return destroys the cylinder wall. But this could happen to any motor ever made so i would not sweat it ;D

Oh yeah
07 hyo GT650R 444 miles so far been great and a 05 Hyo GT650R helped restore to running condition and runs great 4500miles
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:28:28 PM by Deviantturtle »
Epiphanizing a hypnotizing and mesmerizing emphasizing regard to the proper tools enabling a bend in the rules

TLTCR

• Regular rider
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »

i have owned a 2007 GT650 for the last 2 years. have personaly rode over 50k on it.  other than general maintenance, i have had to replace the stator and the reg/rec once each and jumped the reg/rec hot side direct to the batt. working in a hyo dealer i have seen some interesting failures of the early motors but the recent ones have been rock solid. i trust my bike with  week long tours around the state and some out of state rides.
Professional motorcycle technician
currently employed at a hyosung dealer
own and extensively modifying a GT650
(stay tuned for dual exhaust, cams, raise compression, and head porting) if i ever have time...

cruzerjd

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 03:32:42 AM »

TLTCR, the local dealer raced an extensively modified GT650R at PIR in Portland Oregon for 3 seasons.  He ran high compression and modified cams, as well as a Leo Vince can on the stock exhaust.  He also did a lot of head work to the engine.  His views are that the engine is rock solid up to 85 or so hp.  After that the engine tends to pull itself to pieces.  His race bike was floating around 85.5 hp with extreme head modification, high lift cams and high compression pistons.  The main problem he had was that modifying the exhaust system wasn't allowed other than adding a free flowing muffler and in tight right hand turns the bike tended to lever itself off the tarmac when the exhaust ground.  Last i knew the motor is still in his shop.  They are racing a Triumph Speed Triple now.  

Snowfox

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 08:22:49 AM »

TLTCR, the local dealer raced an extensively modified GT650R at PIR in Portland Oregon for 3 seasons.  He ran high compression and modified cams, as well as a Leo Vince can on the stock exhaust.  He also did a lot of head work to the engine.  His views are that the engine is rock solid up to 85 or so hp.  After that the engine tends to pull itself to pieces.  His race bike was floating around 85.5 hp with extreme head modification, high lift cams and high compression pistons.  The main problem he had was that modifying the exhaust system wasn't allowed other than adding a free flowing muffler and in tight right hand turns the bike tended to lever itself off the tarmac when the exhaust ground.  Last i knew the motor is still in his shop.  They are racing a Triumph Speed Triple now.  

Hehe i think im friends with a friend of his.
SmartGuard Immobiliser.
Kaneg Sliders (nocut).
Spools.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]