• June 23, 2017, 09:37:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Carbon Fiber exhaust  (Read 18457 times)

BradCCM

Carbon Fiber exhaust
« on: October 25, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »

At one point somewhere in here we were talking about exhaust bolt ons, And I said with the V-twin to stay away from carbon fiber.  Here is the pic I was looking for with the Leo-Vince exhaust, my 2-brothers did the same thing also.

The V-twin blows out the packing in the exhaust making the carbon fiber overheat and get brittle, and they came apart... If you do have a carbon exhaust, you can avoid this by checking the packing in it every once and a while. When the packing is low or burnt, repack the exhaust to avoid this...

At the track I still had my races ahead of me, I cut the exhaust off at the band going around the slip on, packed as much of the material back in the exhaust, and put the cap on making it a shorty exhaust.  I could have avoided this if I was looking for a brown discoloration in the carbon fiber, or tried to check what the packing looked like in the exhaust.  The Leo-Vince lasted most of the year, as the Two-brothers carbon only lasted 2 track days before coming apart. (the Two-brothers what with a full built engine, the leo was with a stock engine)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:23:40 PM by newbymick »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
Re: Carbon Fiber exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »

Anyone thinking about fitting a carbon can to a GT650 should really read this thread

http://korider.com/index.php?topic=12326.10

Paul had the very first carbon can made by Scorpion

It fact - I think it's so important that it's worth a sticky
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:22:15 PM by newbymick »
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

BradCCM

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:43:47 PM »

That was not the link I was thinking about, I don't think I saw that one... :)  I have a hard time finding some of the old posts.  Thanks!

bumbleB

• 06 GT650R Yellow
  • Learner rider
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »

I have a titanium can, so im guessing that wont happen but without racing how long would it take for the fibre inside to burn up. I have replaced it with new fibre sheets.. Used Steel wool around piped then put it extra fibre to silence it a bit and stop can from vibrating much as possible. Still sounds awesome but always ponder how long will it last anyways. After seeing this from racing hard, doesnt look like they last long at all!
Micron Exhaust (Titanium)
Home Made Air filter
AIS removed completely

JackComet

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Spanish speaking Hyosung Comet Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »

:o :o :o :o

I assume that this only happens in the 650 models, isn't it? I say it cause I have exactly the same LeoVince shown at the pics installed in my GT250R and by now zero problems.
Bike: Comet GT250R

Member of www.korider.com & Admin of http://www.hyosungcomet.com/foro/ (Spanish MotoClub Comet forum)

BradCCM

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »

I have a carbon fiber two-brothers on my GT250R... i have not seen the same issues as the 650...

cold356

• Training Wheels
  • my bike
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:38:28 AM »

i have the D&D pipe rode it for 10k now and nothing has happened it is the gsxr 600 one and it sound amazing and no rejeting need but it might be harder to get in out side north America 

RckStrGtr

• Grinding the pipes
  • Hyosung Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 02:06:31 AM »

another thing also they say on carbon cans that you should not make dyno runs with it on there unless you have something moving air across it. Lots of revving can also cause this to happen. It over heats the carbon resin and causes it to get brittle which then breaks and the can comes apart.
"Carefull I am a Racist"
"This Aint Mother F@#!ing Checkers, This Is Chess Fool"
"You Really Are That Stupid"
"Bum Asked Me For Change, I Told Him To Go See Obama For Change"

paulmeldrum

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »

heres another link with photos of what happened to my carbon fibre can

http://korider.com/index.php?topic=9588.10 my titanium was much better until i had an off and bent it into a banana shape so im back to standard exhaust now, not for long hopefully

2007 HYOSUNG GT650R SCORPION EXHAUST,DB SCREEN,CRASH BUNGS, HEL LINES, BLACK REAR SETS+PILLION PEGS,REAR HUGGER,14TOOTH FRONT SPROCKET,HH SINTERED PADS

joe runt

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 09:50:41 PM »

Most of the points above are correct, but a little scare mongering.
Some companys use a lower grade of pre preg carbon to other, some use  cyanseter resins some other use epoxy based and some use polyester.
Scopion use a carbon supplied by ec plaza which has a a very brittle end use and isnt realy for exhaust or pressure systems and also there purpose of making them is very old,it also only has a eend temp use of 200c, a basic compression mould and then in the oven, this is the same way as leo vince and termigoni also use the same process.other use a conventional auto clave, which uses both pressure heat and evacutaion of air, this gives a better finish and stronger overlap, so no blowing apart.it is true any v twin engine will deplete exhaust packing, this is because of the pulsing of the large cylinders and a greater build up of pressure and heat.If the packing used is of the best quality not loft insulation and is checked and replaced regular the carbon will last thousands of miles. The only way to check though is not to buy a hard carbon silencer as its known, it wants to have some but not alot of give when squeezed, if its crackels or sounds like it will break like scopion or leo then avoid fr anything with a remote amount of power.We suppy carbon to companies who use them on aprilias and harleys which are known to be the worst for carbon desruction.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5