• October 17, 2017, 02:27:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Carbon Fiber exhaust  (Read 18878 times)

PaulF

• Learner rider
Re: Carbon Fiber exhaust
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »

hey everyone, Apparently close motorcycles in Redfern have a Carbon Fiber exhaust for the GT650 and it is around 650 AU dollars fitted if i'm not mistaken. Might go for it soon  :)

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

dcheripka

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 02:15:22 AM »

I have about 8K miles on my Two Brothers Carbon slip on. No problems at all. Even went on a very hot trip to Texas last summer. 800 miles. It was very hot. Like 110F. No sign of any of these problems. Of course I also use my bike as more of a sport tourer, my RPM's are not usually in the red.

HyoFuelNazi

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 03:07:57 AM »

hey everyone, Apparently close motorcycles in Redfern have a Carbon Fiber exhaust for the GT650 and it is around 650 AU dollars fitted if i'm not mistaken. Might go for it soon  :)

You did read about the pitfalls of CF in this thread?

Pretty much SS all the way for me and if lightness is important then Al. in the not so hot bits ( external can, brackets etc.).

Titanium would be ok for the outer can also but have had trouble some years ago with titanium headers splitting.

If you really like the look of CF why not just wrap it in a CF sleeve that you can replace as it burns.

BradCCM

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 03:20:20 AM »

I think the point of this is more that if you are running a Carbon Fiber exhaust, it would be a good idea to have the packing checked more often, look for the fiber or look dried or browning.  My Leo Vice pipe lasted almost a year before splitting, the Two Bro's lasted a track day and a half before coming apart. Granted the bike was track only.  But if you want an exhaust that will last, stainless, or Titanium is the way to go.

If you have a carbon fiber exhaust you may want to have the packing checked every 5 to 7000 miles of street riding. If you are on the track with it, check it every few track days.  The packing does not last, titanium and stainless packing burns just as fast, but, carbon comes apart, ti and stainless will stay together.

joe runt

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:40:42 AM »

Most of the points above are correct, but a little scare mongering.
Some companys use a lower grade of pre preg carbon to other, some use  cyanester resins some other use epoxy based and some use polyester.
Scopion use a carbon supplied by ec plaza which has a a very brittle end use and isnt realy for exhaust or pressure systems and also there purpose of making them is very old,it also only has a end temp use of 200c, a basic compression mould and then in the oven, this is the same way as leo vince and termigoni also use the same process.other use a conventional auto clave, which uses both pressure heat and evacutaion of air, this gives a better finish and stronger overlap, so no blowing apart.it is true any v twin engine will deplete exhaust packing, this is because of the pulsing of the large cylinders and a greater build up of pressure and heat.If the packing used is of the best quality not loft insulation and is checked and replaced regular the carbon will last thousands of miles. The only way to check though is not to buy a hard carbon silencer as its known, it wants to have some but not alot of give when squeezed, if its crackels or sounds like it will break like scopion or leo then avoid  anything with a remote amount of power.We suppy carbon to companies who use them on aprilias and harleys which are known to be the worst for carbon desruction.

profff1

• Training Wheels
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »

what do you mean by repacking? need this info cause i have the same pipe, did you have to re-jet?

BradCCM

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »

Repacking is when you drill out the rivets that hold the can together and replace the packing inside the muffler.  I would say that with every slip on you have to rejet. If you are looking to get more power.

PackDaddy

• Learner rider
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »

Paul that bike is sick man. Sorry off subject bit had to give props

Aidanh

• Training Wheels
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 04:03:36 AM »

I have a 2010 model 650S, fuel injected, and fitted a 2Bros Carbon Fibre with a P1 tip.
I have done 10k so far and fitted the can about 3K ago and have had no problems at all.
I use my bike as a commuter/tourer and whilst I do not red line it I do travel long distances in relatively high temperatures.

uponone

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 12:21:04 AM »

i run a pipemaster can wicked note to it no issues , wanted to ask Bradccm what shock you got on your bike couldnt make it out as i think this is my next change
sorry officer,but i had to

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5