• October 23, 2014, 04:05:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49

Author Topic: The fix for your GT650 charging issues  (Read 60488 times)

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
The fix for your GT650 charging issues
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »

Once again I have been plagued with Lucas like electrical failures, and my Hyosung ate the stator.

So I purchased a new one (another nightmare with my bank that I don't want to get into occurred during the purchase) from the good folks at Power & Play Warehouse in Pompano Beach after they tested the system.

Today I had it installed and while the stator was bad (which I verified by visually inspecting the melted coils) it did not fix the problem.

Oddly enough the parts Guy was very sympathetic to my plight,that must be because he had to push start his own Hyosung that very morning for the same problem I was having,and Our old Buddy Isarod just so happened to show up with, you guessed it the exact same charging probelmo...

Now even with the new parts we had a problem with the charging system, despite changing the stator and the voltage regulator, and here is how it showed itself. At idle the volts are fine if a bit low 13 to be precise, once you rolled on the throttle they dropped down into the no charge zone of 11.2. Not good, so The Tech Edsel (remember that name folks because he has solved the riddle) started checking wires and found that a wire between the battery and the Voltage regulator had issues. The issue was that one the VR end the voltage was fine and at the battery it was not.

My guess was that for what ever reason this wire builds up resistance in it, and with that higher resistance comes the failure of the stators and eventually the VR, because the charging system senses a low voltage it cannot correct.

Yes all those years as an Avionics man in the United States Marine Corps didn't go to waste.

And from there the fix was brutally simple and showed an immediate and remarkable improvement, The fix was to sister in a new wire from the Voltage Regulator to the Battery by cutting the wire at the VR and slicing the new wire in and then attaching it to the top of the battery positive post.

The Improvement?

The volts were 13.5 at idle and 14+ through the rpms as they should be.

Personally I don't know why the US bikes have this issue but I will venture a guess, our headlights are on all the time and it is my belief that this particular wire breaks down over time from the added strain of supplying the proper voltage to the battery causing the stator and the VR failures, so many of us have experienced in the past.

After mine was repaired, Isarod got his fixed as well in under 20 minutes since his stator and VR had not yet melted down with the same results.

Anyway I like to salute Jason and Edsel for solving One of the great mysteries of our bikes.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
Re: The fix for your GT650 charging issues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:26:22 PM »

Interesting, did you replace the wire with a thicker gauge?  As far as I know wires don't really break down or increase resistance from old age or use, so it must either be a mechanical issue like the insulation wearing off or the wire almost breaking (probably not likely considering placement), or too many watts are being pushed through too tiny a wire.  I know the voltage regulator produces a ton of heat so it wouldn't surprise me if it simply needs a thicker wire.

Could you describe some of the symptoms you/isarod were having for reference here?  Does/did your speedo work properly with keeping time and mileage?
My pistons go 3e10m/s, my sparks are measured in gigawatts, and my oil is made from the dried tears of newbs.

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:59:12 PM »

I beg to differ on the issue of wiring getting weak and changing resistance from use, I have used what is called a Time Domain Reflectometer to locate such problems in aircraft wiring and it locates the resistance spot by actually timing how far along a wire the spot is by a means of transmitting a pulse through said wire. The read out tell us where the spot is so we can visually inspect and repair it.

When you are dealing with hundreds of feet of wiring that you have on aircraft such a tool is a life saver, I must add that however rare it does occur in ordinary vehicles. it could be something as simple as a pinched, kinked  wire or one that has been overheated, whatever the case I'm telling you that I have seen the results first hand on my bike and two others. More importantly this problem has vexxed countless US riders as long as I have been posting on this board and even before that.

My speedo gave up the ghost years ago and my clock I ignore to the point where it has never been right since the speedo died. The best way to check your bike for this problem is to put a voltmeter to your battery and check the volts at idle and through the rpm range, if your volts drop off, as the rpms rise, you have the problem, it they rise and stay at 14 or a little bit more (within a half a volt) through your RPM range you do not have a problem.

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 12:19:48 AM »

Great information, thanks for the link!  This particular sentence on Wiki caught my attention: [TDR] are indispensable for preventive maintenance of telecommunication lines, as they can reveal growing resistance levels on joints and connectors as they corrode, and increasing insulation leakage as it degrades and absorbs moisture long before either leads to catastrophic failures.

Do you live in a particularly humid area?  I suppose the bike probably vibrates enough to weaken the connectors over time also.

Too bad about the speedo it seems to be a common problem too... I take it that there was no speedo improvement with the new wire?
My pistons go 3e10m/s, my sparks are measured in gigawatts, and my oil is made from the dried tears of newbs.

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 01:07:10 AM »

The Australian bikes have the lamp on all the time too. So maybe not the cause but it does seem strange that US bikes seem to suffer most? perhaps they all came from the same batch...

Did the wire seem particularly thin? If so then I wonder if then just went too building down to a price. In AU Holden reduced the guage of the wire in the engine looms of their version of the Cavalier to save money, and caused no end of electrical gremlins to cause trouble.

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 03:32:34 AM »

Miami what can I say about the weather, rain I ride in it

Gaultier (sp) had the same problem and never found a fix, Zoran bought his bike after the motor grenaded.

The wire did seem a bit thin and the connection to the stator and the VR showed signs of high temps.

Anyway I took it out tonight for a long ride with a lot of stops that would have left me stranded before and it started each time with just a brush of the button.

Needless to say I now feel that I could ride it until I got tired without problems.

RckStrGtr

• Grinding the pipes
  • Hyosung Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 05:03:24 AM »

Sweet Discovery Cobra i appreciate you posting it up,

Before you did this mod did your headlight kinda flicker, I have yet to stick a meter on my bike yet but will tomorrow and sometimes when i am coming to a stop when i hit the brake lever it seems the headlight gets brighter then when i crack the throttle to take off it seems to dim a little. I don't know it could be the forks compressing and extending but the lights do flicker at idle its noticable in the headlight and the tail light.
"Carefull I am a Racist"
"This Aint Mother F@#!ing Checkers, This Is Chess Fool"
"You Really Are That Stupid"
"Bum Asked Me For Change, I Told Him To Go See Obama For Change"

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:16:03 AM »

I've never noticed a  problem with the headlight except that it dimmed or should I say was always dim. Something I have gotten used to over the years.

However during last nights ride it was strong, not HID strong but better than normal. 

HY-044

• Sutherland Shire, NSW Australia
  • Scraping the pegs
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
    • Sam, Archery & Motorcycles
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »

Thanks for posting this usmcobra.  :D
Ulysses Club Member.
2008 Hyosung GT650SL Tourer (Mango Yellow)
MODS:- DataDotDNA, ResArt Fender Eliminator, LED Indicator Strips, Skidmarx Wheel Hugger, NGK Iridium Plugs, Gold Pazzo Leverset, Shark 100W Audio, Kisan chargeGuard battery monitor.

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 01:23:53 PM »

One more note on the wiring, I haven't torn apart the harness to fix the problem but I believe I will find a smashed, pinched, or burnt wire in it that was causing the high resistance.

Personally I am betting on smashed and pinched as the culprit, possibly from the initial assembly. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49