• April 29, 2017, 04:42:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67

Author Topic: The fix for your GT650 charging issues  (Read 119697 times)

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
Re: The fix for your GT650 charging issues
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »

Good to have you back Cobby.  You may be holding Aces and Eights at the moment but, at least you can still post useful help and info

Maybe - a schematic and some photos with a newby style "How To"  ;D ;D

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 05:41:27 AM »

I ain't taking anything apart until I get to Tallahassee, but from the schematic this is what I see, there is a splice in the wire to the VR that splits off to the ignition switch and the fuses, This splice may be the cause of the high resistance that fries the VR and stators. It could be badly soldered or what is called a "cold" splice and has a high resistance.

Because of the particularities of Ohms law, adding an additional wire in parallel on the VR side of the splice will effectively drop the resistance by more than half it's original value. Meaning if the original resistance was 10 ohms then the new resistance would be around three or less. There is an actual formula for this that I have long since forgotten.

What really matters is results and I have experienced them.

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »

Worth a sticky
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

rockwallaby

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 02:13:40 AM »

Arrrrgggg, looking at the schematic and the modification you are suggesting I would have to say be extremely cautious as you are bypassing a very important part, a fuse.

As you have draw the new red wire bypassing this 30 Amp fuse, the regulator is permanently connected across the 12 volt battery totally unprotected by a fuse.
So, if something were to go wrong with the regulator, either while your bike was on the road or sitting quietly in the garage, you would have a potential fire risk due to melting regulator, melting wires or worse still an exploding battery!

Please review your suggestion and consider replacing the existing wires with quality flexible wire with the capacity to handle the expected currents and make sure you continue to have the fuse in situation for your own protection as well as for your bike.

In my experience as an electronics / Industrial Controls Systems Engineer I would suggest that the problem you are describing and experiencing is not so much in the wire as it would be with bad connections, creating hot spots at these points due to higher resistance with high currents. The Regulator is trying to maintain a correct voltage and charging current to the battery, and if there is increased resistance as seen by the regulator it will try to increase the output voltage to compensate, thereby increasing the current in your feed to the battery. It can only go so high before the regulator and or stator decide to have a meltdown.

Check the cleanliness of all connections as well as for corrosion about the fuse, as dissimilar metals when in contact may cause corrosion.

Keep yourself and your bike safe, please keep the fuse in situation.

rockonwallaby

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

Perhaps as an electronics / Industrial Controls Systems Engineer you should examine the whole schematic and check the function of this wire, it's not the feed wire and the disastrous scenario you describe can happen anyway even with the normal fuses  or even without this wire.

The wire you see this extra wire connected to goes straight to the ignition switch with no fuse or fuse link in it, you cannot see that in the section I posted but does and the purpose of this wire is to tell the Voltage Regulator what the battery voltage is. It merely shows the internal workings of the VR what the battery state is.

But let's examine what would happen if it was fused and that fuse failed.

I already know what will happen, because it has already happened to me twice before, if  you fuse this wire and that fuse fails the VR will try to maintain a certain voltage until it fries the stator and eventually fries itself.

That is established fact and it is expensive, very expensive.

But what is more annoying than being spoken down by some with the skills to fix this problem that hasn't had to deal with it first hand, is that they would believe that I would recommend anything in this forum that could and would cause a catastrophic electrical failure and a loss of someone else bike. 

Again I say to you look at the complete wiring diagram before you pass judgment, study the schematic as I have done for the last two years trying to find the cause of these problems, and don't ever suppose that I did this without first considering all the possible consequences. 

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 05:00:09 PM »

Oh come on now let's play nice.  To be honest this schematic is hard to read, pixelated and shrunk.  I couldn't tell if you were highlighting an existing wire or creating a new circuit.

But, how would the VR fry if the hot wire is fused?  Wouldn't popping the fuse provide no power to VR?  Anyone have a better schematic pic out there?

Everyone plays the expert, it doesn't hurt to talk civilly about things and work it out.
My pistons go 3e10m/s, my sparks are measured in gigawatts, and my oil is made from the dried tears of newbs.

TOMMYAMBER

• Learner rider
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 04:18:31 AM »

I have quite similar problems with my 07 GT250R.

My bike has starting issues as well as low battery reading, 13V, across the terminals through the RPM range. I have a new battery and I have just changed the stator with no luck. I end up draining my battery trying to get the bike started. It is not a mechanical issue starting due to the fact that when I bridge the gap on the  My next step was to change the Reg/Rec.

After having looked at your post I was willing to give your recomendation a try.

Just a little concerned from your last posts. Do you think bypassing the fuse would be ok?

Here is a GT250 schematic I found on the site but it would be quite different to the GT650

http://korider.com/index.php?topic=12074.0

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 02:13:51 PM »

Hi Tom, I think Cobie went AWOL, but I suggest you carefully check over all of the wiring and do not bypass the fuse.  The fusebox itself may be suspect, inspect it for corrosion, maybe use a multimeter to measure resistance over the fusebox, although I don't know if that would be fruitful with a TDR issue.  Inspect all connections, it looks like there is an extra one between the battery and fusebox.  The only thing I can think of is that somehow voltage leaks up through the indicators /brown wire for a brief moment if the fuse pops, but really I have no idea if that could happen just speculation.  Removing the fuse does seem like it would be more likely that the bike could catch fire.

Good luck!
My pistons go 3e10m/s, my sparks are measured in gigawatts, and my oil is made from the dried tears of newbs.

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 08:16:46 PM »

Actually I moved and just got on the internet.

I have good news and bad news.

First the Bad, Jason the parts guru at Powersports where I had my bike fixed, lost control of his Hyosung in the rain the other night and hit a concrete light pole.

He was killed instantly.

My prayers go out to him and his family he was a good guy and even took parts off of his bike to fix mine while we were troubleshooting this problem.

Now the good news,

this past Sunday I rode my bike from Tallahassee to Ocala in almost freezing weather for a total of 7 hours without the slightest sign of any electrical problem what so ever.

I wanted to call Jason and thank him for his efforts in resolving this issue but found out that he had passed away. 

david3921

• Learner rider
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 01:39:23 AM »

Cobra, sorry to hear about your friend. It's sad to lose a "brother" in the motorcycle community.
I did a search this past weekend and found this site as I'm interested in the GT650 naked. A question popped into my head after reading your first post. If the wire became weak because of the headlight circuit would it help if a relay was installed so that the juice was coming straight from the battery?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67