• April 29, 2017, 04:43:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 67

Author Topic: The fix for your GT650 charging issues  (Read 119698 times)

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
Re: The fix for your GT650 charging issues
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 05:01:15 PM »

Wow, that really sucks about Jason, rest in peace.  :-[

David I am not sure what you mean by adding a relay so the electricity comes straight from the battery.  From what I can gather the current relay is used for hi-beams, which is tied into pulse control and the VR.  Bypassing the VR is probably a bad idea as everything is interconnected and you may end up causing damage to the rest of your circuitry. 

The wiring around the headlight is particularly vulnerable to movement, I had a wire near the triple tree become caught on a tab which wore through the insulation and was popping fuses.  If you are having problems this is a good place to inspect.

Here is a super large wiring diagram:
My pistons go 3e10m/s, my sparks are measured in gigawatts, and my oil is made from the dried tears of newbs.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

david3921

• Learner rider
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 12:56:52 AM »

I was responding to Cobra's remark that he thought the wire had become weak because of all the current running through it due to the headlamp. A relay would help here. A headlight relay is in the diagram but I think this is used to cut out the headlamp when starting. The type I'm referring to allows the current to go from the battery, through the relay, on to the headlamp. The relay is controlled by the stock wiring.

I'm considering one of these for one of my bikes to cure thin wire/lighting issues.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html

usmcobra

• The Cafe Racer
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 05:43:30 AM »

Isarod has the sort of relays you are thinking of using on his bike because of the HID he uses, and he still had the same problem and got his bike fixed at the same time I did the same way.

I feel it is a faulty or cold splice that deteriorates with time and use and bypassing it is easier than tearing up the harness to redo the splice. Since the repair the bike has performed flawlessly even in cold and rain and starts with a tap on the starter button every time (even if I do have to choke it a little for the cold)

As for the question on the 250, my best guess is that the two harnesses are similar however I would caution that before you use this solution you check all the other components out first, as we did!   

RckStrGtr

• Grinding the pipes
  • Hyosung Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 06:13:39 AM »

OK Cobra I did replace the Stator in my bike as it was bad and wow what a difference now my headlight no longer flickers at idle. Bike starts 100 times better also. At Idle the stator was outputting about 14.7 volts and as you came up through the Revs it never fell below 13.8 volts. This was also tested with a Very well charged battery, I kinda left it on the tender all christmas break, 3 weeks, when i came back and hooked the battery tester to it it showed the battery at 13.9 volts, the charge level was 100%, and the battery health was 105%. The starter no longer struggles to spin the engine over it does not even go Wwwwhhhhrrrr..wwwwhhhhrrrr, it just goes Wwwwwwwhhhhhrrrrrrrrr and the engine jumps to life.

I cleaned all the electrical connections that deal with that wire and discovered some corrosion back where it goes into the fuse block, once they were all cleaned up i sprayed some BullFrog Corrosion stop and water proofing stuff in there actually sprayed just about every plug and connection i found and the headlight is brighter along with the taillight, turnsignals, and horn seems louder.  ;D  I think its all good now but if i start having some issues again i am definatly removing that entire wire fuse and all and replacing it better wire that is also fused directly to the battery.
"Carefull I am a Racist"
"This Aint Mother F@#!ing Checkers, This Is Chess Fool"
"You Really Are That Stupid"
"Bum Asked Me For Change, I Told Him To Go See Obama For Change"

j0hnh0lmes

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • http://crookedh.com
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »

Can you post a picture of the wire by chance? I'm not really a schematics kind of guy.

static82

• Training Wheels
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »

i know this post is old, but i must say ty cobra. i threw on the voltmeter this afternoon and found my charging system displayed the same symptoms as described in the previous posts. so i put in that wire as marked in the circuit diagram and wow, idle charge went from 13.2 V before, and up to 14.4V.
hopefully tomorrow i wont have to reset the time on the clock.
i just have to ask what a healthy charging rate is at idle?

bucketchem

• Learner rider
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »

My 2008 has  destroyed 2 regulators. The first at around 2000Km. It happened in peak our traffic and I got a flat tray to the nearest dealer to have it “repaired under warrantee. New regulator and burnt out loom replaced.

I decided at this stage to twin the positive and earth directly to the battery as shown in this thread. Happy days........ or so I thought.
 The second rec/reg died just over 10 000Km. I still have 4 months to go on my warrantee.
 I have, however, decided to  NOT get it fixed by Neanderthals.

I pulled my head out of my “I’m not paying a cent for this “ arse and decided to get my hands dirty.   I discovered a very freaking ordinary wiring loom! Most connecters had major oxidation  (copper oxide) issues and looked like they had been very hot at some/numerous stages. Most (spade) connectors provided a frightening voltage drop of 0.35 V !

I decided to pull all the charging circuit connectors apart and have a closer look. Most connections provided evidence of a “Friday built” wiring loom. Insulation stripped to 3 mm, half exposed wires folded back then poorly crimped.  Some connections showed charring and burnt plastic insulators............ MMMMMMM very high resistance thus very high temperature.

Resoldering all spade terminals resulted in an undetectable voltage drop over all connections.
 The regulator/rectifier was cooked.  The resistance between the positive output and stator wires was 185M ohms above spec!  The rec/reg was fried again.

I have decided to not go the hyo rec/reg again..... I was going to wire in a suzi rec/reg.... After spending time on the SV1000 forums... It seems that they have similar issues. 

This is one of hundreds of posts i found http://webpages.charter.net/jrandall/vrr/vrr_upgrade.htm
Or  http://webpages.charter.net/jrandall/vrr/vrr_upgrade.htm

I looked wider and it seemed to be a common problem. Poor connectors, high resistance... charred rec/regs.
I have since discovered that rec/regs come in two flavours. 
1.   Cheap crap that sends excess current to ground via resistors...thus producing  excessive heat that would fry an egg and eventually fail due to heat stress.
2.   High capacity Mosfet equipped rec/regs built by Shindergen Electronics. Found on late model bikes such as the R1.

I have since acquired a high capacity mosfet  rec/reg  from an R1 (Yamaha part 1D7-81960-00) and plugs to match.

It’s wired up... and fingers crossed.... with  new high capacity rec/reg, low resistance (soldered) terminals and, low resistance ( high amp) circuit to the battery...... fingers crossed that  my hyo electrical issues are behind me. .... I’ll keep you posted   ;D

Thanks to all those who assisted with their posts in this thread.
I am now ready to return to Tassie and take on her mighty black ribbon again  ;)

Ian

• Regular rider
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 02:42:23 AM »

While I haven't had any issues with my starting aside from having eaten two brand new batteries a month apart, I'm afraid that if I keep running it that way I will destroy a regulator.  What gauge wire would be recommended for use?  If it was mentioned before I apologize in advance.  My bike is currently in storage in California, once I get it trucked back to the east coast I want to tear into it and get this taken care of so I can start modding it,
Full of questions.

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 03:26:47 AM »

If you've eaten 2 batteries in a month it's probably a stuffed regulator that's doing it...

Ptarmigan

• Training Wheels
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 12:24:33 AM »

Hi all,

First of all I have to say that I really appreciate the information that people contribute to this forum; it's a great resource.
I have an ostensibly very similar problem around starting (often vey hesitant or just unable to generate the amps to crank) and relatively low voltage readings on the battery (12.2 when idle, rising to 13.5 when revved).

The bike is a brand new 2009 model.  It had starting problems when I test rode it so the dealer replaced the stator; it charges "better" now but it only starts if I give it a high speed run before stopping.  If I do some town riding or use the heated grips before stopping, it won't start again.

Before I try to fit this sister wire I was thinking to connect a temporary lead with clips (like a small jump lead) in the expected position and check the result with the multimeter.

My questions are:
Can someone actually confirm where physically the regulator is please?
Is there some specification (e.g. guage or mm thickness) of wire I should use?
I was considering to connect a wire direct from the battery positive to the regulator, but with a dedicated inline fuse of 15Amps; does that seem reasonable?  Should the fuse be smaller / larger ?

Best regards,
Ptarmigan (Jon)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 67