My 2008 has destroyed 2 regulators. The first at around 2000Km. It happened in peak our traffic and I got a flat tray to the nearest dealer to have it “repaired under warrantee. New regulator and burnt out loom replaced.
I decided at this stage to twin the positive and earth directly to the battery as shown in this thread. Happy days........ or so I thought.
The second rec/reg died just over 10 000Km. I still have 4 months to go on my warrantee.
I have, however, decided to NOT get it fixed by Neanderthals.
I pulled my head out of my “I’m not paying a cent for this “ arse and decided to get my hands dirty. I discovered a very freaking ordinary wiring loom! Most connecters had major oxidation (copper oxide) issues and looked like they had been very hot at some/numerous stages. Most (spade) connectors provided a frightening voltage drop of 0.35 V !
I decided to pull all the charging circuit connectors apart and have a closer look. Most connections provided evidence of a “Friday built” wiring loom. Insulation stripped to 3 mm, half exposed wires folded back then poorly crimped. Some connections showed charring and burnt plastic insulators............ MMMMMMM very high resistance thus very high temperature.
Resoldering all spade terminals resulted in an undetectable voltage drop over all connections.
The regulator/rectifier was cooked. The resistance between the positive output and stator wires was 185M ohms above spec! The rec/reg was fried again.
I have decided to not go the hyo rec/reg again..... I was going to wire in a suzi rec/reg.... After spending time on the SV1000 forums... It seems that they have similar issues.
This is one of hundreds of posts i found http://webpages.charter.net/jrandall/vrr/vrr_upgrade.htm
I looked wider and it seemed to be a common problem. Poor connectors, high resistance... charred rec/regs.
I have since discovered that rec/regs come in two flavours.
1. Cheap crap that sends excess current to ground via resistors...thus producing excessive heat that would fry an egg and eventually fail due to heat stress.
2. High capacity Mosfet equipped rec/regs built by Shindergen Electronics. Found on late model bikes such as the R1.
I have since acquired a high capacity mosfet rec/reg from an R1 (Yamaha part 1D7-81960-00) and plugs to match.
It’s wired up... and fingers crossed.... with new high capacity rec/reg, low resistance (soldered) terminals and, low resistance ( high amp) circuit to the battery...... fingers crossed that my hyo electrical issues are behind me. .... I’ll keep you posted
Thanks to all those who assisted with their posts in this thread.
I am now ready to return to Tassie and take on her mighty black ribbon again