• July 16, 2019, 12:03:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 68

Author Topic: The fix for your GT650 charging issues  (Read 164901 times)

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: The fix for your GT650 charging issues
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 12:29:15 AM »

The regulator is under the plastics on the outside of the frame in line with battery on the left hand side.

If it's new take it back an get it done under warranty...

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »

Re wire gauges, there are charts available.  It looks like the stock regulator is wired to a 30A fuse, and there are discussions of the stock regulator rated at 35A.  I would try a 30A fuse and 12AWG wire.  And if the bike is out of warranty you may want to consider a mosfet type regulator.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:04:11 PM by alphamerik »
My pistons go 3e10m/s, my sparks are measured in gigawatts, and my oil is made from the dried tears of newbs.

Ptarmigan

• Training Wheels
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 12:25:06 AM »

Hi there,

Thanks for the information guys.  The bike is brand new, just a 2009 Fi model but will less than 400miles on the clock.
The dealer replaced the stator before I even bought it, after a test ride where it wouldn't start properly... well so they say anyway.

For the benefit of anyone else who might read this thread, who has similar problems I will say that I charged the battery fully on an Oxford Optimate and the bike started and ran for 1 day before I got stranded by the side of the road... again...  Not a good result for a brand new bike.

I can't really start replacing parts at this stage as I risk losing my warranty so I guess I will have to wait and see what the dealer does (or doesn't) and then advise if I have a successful resolution at some point.

Thanks again to everyone and a great forum (except for the random xenaphobia which is really sad to see c.f. http://korider.com/index.php?topic=14701.0)
P

bucketchem

• Learner rider
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 02:21:15 AM »

Thanks again to everyone and a great forum (except for the random xenaphobia which is really sad to see c.f. http://korider.com/index.php?topic=14701.0)
P

Now back to the point of korider..... being positive and helpful ;)

Have you done a ”voltage drop” test?

If not…..run your multimeter (ideally set to mV) from  +ve regulator  to +ve battery post

An ideal  connection will read less than 0.1 V.
A good connection is less than 0.4V

Anything over this is bad news and indicates excessive resistance across a connection. The connection will need cleaning or replacing…….(or as some have done in this thread….bypassing)

If you don't want to run the extra wire due to warranty issues, I recommend upgrading connections .

Hyo connectors are crimped NOT soldered..... if you are concerned about keeping everything looking factory...open up the connectors and solder the wire to contact terminals.

I went down the mosfet path because twoHyo  regulator deaths (as a result of poor connectios)  lead me to not trust the item. I don't want to go on a ride with that doubt in the back of my mind!

Ian

• Regular rider
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 03:04:10 PM »

So where can we pick up a mosfet type regulator?
Full of questions.

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »

Good question Ian, the FH012AA can easily be found on Google, but there are a lot of perfectly good and probably cheaper FH010 and FH008 based regulators out there also.  A lot of the newest replacement regulators for Honda, Suzuki, etc are FET based but it would take a lot of research to make sure you have the right one.  Sounds like an opportunity for our Hyosung stores... (wink wink nudge nudge)  ;)
My pistons go 3e10m/s, my sparks are measured in gigawatts, and my oil is made from the dried tears of newbs.

homoaustralis

• Training Wheels
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »

Firstly thanks to USMCobra who kicked this off, and all posters.
FWIW my small contribution to the puzzle. The stator/regulator on my GT650 EFI died within a month of its first service (1000Km).
Both replaced under warranty but engine still cuts out spasmodically between gear changes when ''cold'' (Australia/Summer/Global Warming - read 1st 5-10mins).
A different, (Seems very professional) mechanic did the 6000Km service. Told him the history and asked him to check the general charging status, and, if the addition of the Battery/Regulator link changed anything.
He reported that:
1/ Stator output was ok.
2/ Charging voltage low at 13.3V max
3/ Evidence that crimped terminal from stator had severely overheated, now replaced.
4/ Additional Battery/Regulator link lifted charging voltage to 13.8V (Will check why he thought 13.9V was the max possible, given others are 14V++)
5/ Regulator is ''Unusual" it lifts Voltage in small steps over time rather than straight to max, ie short trips would not fully recharge battery.
6/ Battery is ''cheap'' - get better quality when it dies.

Point 5/ seems new, the rest supports previous comments.

God I love this bike, it's better than prozac. Cheap, fast (enough for me), and can sound like a complete mongrel  ;D

J-Rock

• Training Wheels
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 01:12:06 PM »

Hi all,
    I have an 08 650gt only 3500k's on it seem's to have developed the same prob
I did the voltage check was getting 12.3 at idle and dropped into the 11's as rpm rose
I ran the wire from the battery to the regulator and got readings of 12.4 at idle and 12.6-12.8 at 4000rpm,compared to everyone else's results these seem a little low?? is it possible these readings are due to damage already being done to the regulator or magneto ?
the bike is still under warranty and the battery wont hold charge now, should i be happy with these readings or send it in under warranty ? also how have people found the dealers with warranty work in sydney, feeling like i got a bit stung with $au 310 for a first service
thanks to anyone who can help 

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »

Hi J-Rock, I think 12.8 is a good voltage, make sure it puts out voltage on entire RPM range.  Sounds like your battery needs to be replaced, it probably had an early death due to the bad wire you replaced.

Ptarmigan

• Training Wheels
Problem Fixed: Fit new battery
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

Hi guys,

I seem to have solved my particular problem although I can't take any credit.  The answer; fit a new, non-Hyosung, battery.
Charging at idle and throughout the rev range increased from 12 ish volts to between 13.5 and 14.1 volts which is a significant increase.

I didn't need to change anything with the internal wiring so perhaps I was lucky to get such an easy fix.  It seems the old battery had a bad cell or similar.

Importantly when I tested the old, bad battery it tested "ok" on a supposedly top-quality battery tester but, when detached from the bike it had a much lower voltage output compared to the new battery.  So I would say a multimeter is still the tool of choice for confirming the quality of a battery.

If possible, I would get a known good battery and fit it before chasing other electrical faults.

Thanks for all the help and good luck to anyone else with similar problems.

Cheers,
Ptarmigan

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 68