• August 05, 2020, 08:30:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Leaking front fork,After replacing the oil seal  (Read 3995 times)

Gauss

• Training Wheels
Leaking front fork,After replacing the oil seal
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:01:52 AM »

Hello everyone,
I own a GT250R 2007,18k~ kilometers.
Would really appreciate some advice.
 Several weeks ago my right fork started leaking.
Yesterday I replaced the oil seal in my leaking right fork,Along with the oil(as stated in the book - 400cc in each fork).
 On the way back home(40 kms~) all seemed fine,Didn't notice any leaks when I parked it.

Today morning after a quick ride(I have noticed a leak. after a longer ride,I saw my entire front wheel is filled with oil  ::)

What should be done next,Before getting a new fork?

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

electric gypsy

• Regular rider
Re: Leaking front fork,After replacing the oil seal
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »

Hi Gauss, I had the same problem with my Street Triple. I found the leak was coming from inside my RF Fork. There is a cap screw and a crush washer inside the RF fork above the axle. You have to take the axle out and replace the crush washer... At least on my Triumph. I'm not sure about the Hyosung. I've never had mine apart. My rim and brake pad were soaked and the oil splashed onto my headers and turned them nasty black.

Gauss

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »

Thank you for your reply,It makes sense.
 I didn't find the internal fork parts(all the metal rings etc..) on hyosung source site,Besides the seals. Are these standard size parts I can get anywhere?

motorhedfred

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »

Not to hijack this thread, but is there a simpler way to check the fork oil level without taking the forks out, draining them and refilling with the prescribed amount ? I want to go over my bike thoroughly before riding as the mechanic at the dealership seems about as sharp as a basketball.

Where's a quote by Mike on the Rock from

http://korider.com/index.php?topic=8006.10

"Presently I am using "POR HONDA SUSPENSION FLUID SS-8 10W"
I use the Dip Stick method when doing a total oil change, more = harder dampening.

The service manual shows the method, with the fork vertical with the spring removed, but {CONFUSION} as to weather the unit if fully extended or retracted?

Several Racers I know use ATF and or Power Steering Fluid and a few use regular or synthetic engine oil in the forks, 30W-40 makes foe very hard ride and 20W-50 is like a solid front end."

I knew there was someone here that had some knowledge about checking fork oil levels without using the remove, drain and re-fill method.

Care to share ?

MHF

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
  • Mesa Arizone where it nevers snows
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »

Checking the Front Fork Oil on the GT250.

With the bike resting on its wheels block to maintain the level (once you remove the top the bike will settle if not supported.).

Remove the top.

Use a bent wire to check the oil level from the front (use the bent wire like a Dip Stick on a car engine.)

Check both sides, fill to same or higher to make harder.

As I do not know how you have your bike "leveled" I do not know what the correct lever for your bike will be.
Factory Speck with the forks vertical 146mm (5.8in) pg.CHASSIS 6-14 Service Manual

Front fork oil one side capacity 400cc =/- 2.5 cc gt250

Front fork oil one side capacity 262cc =/- 2.5 cc gt125
Ride safe Mike on the Rock
All my Rides are Naked.

http://seaies.com
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »

Hello everyone,
I own a GT250R 2007,18k~ kilometers.
Would really appreciate some advice.
 Several weeks ago my right fork started leaking.
Yesterday I replaced the oil seal in my leaking right fork,Along with the oil(as stated in the book - 400cc in each fork).
 On the way back home(40 kms~) all seemed fine,Didn't notice any leaks when I parked it.

Today morning after a quick ride(I have noticed a leak. after a longer ride,I saw my entire front wheel is filled with oil  ::)

What should be done next,Before getting a new fork?

Ok, first can you tell where the oil is leaking from.

The top, "O ring".

The Seal, lower bottom of the upper fork tube.

Bottom Plug, at the bottom where the Axel fits.

Second; Who installed the seal?

Third;Was it a Factory seal?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:32:55 PM by Mike on the Rock »
All my Rides are Naked.

Gauss

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 05:48:45 PM »

The leak is from the seal - bottom of the upper fork tube.
The seal isn't a hyosung factory seal,However it is the specific size - 41 54 11,And looks excatly the same as the seal we took out of the fork(Also I know that when there was still service for hyosung here,The main garage used these seals here).

Me and my friend(who is a mechanic) replaced the seal,We did everything carefuly without damaging anything in the process.
*This is the first time we do this,However it wasn't too much trouble after tinkering with it a bit.I should say the bike felt really good after the replacment of the seal and oil.
 The leak itself I noticed only a day later,As stated above.

motorhedfred

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 05:55:12 PM »

Ok.....I was hoping for an actual measurement but I guess no one's done it and documented it. I was thinking 400cc of oil with the forks installed, the bike standing vertical and level would equal "X" inches or "X" mm down from the top of the fork with the cap removed.

Maybe I'm not understanding the way the forks are designed or something.

I guess that leaves me an opportunity to add something worthwhile to the knowledge base here once I get it home and start getting familiar with it....and I'm getting off topic so I'll stop now.

Thanks

MHF

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »

I am thinking that you used a seal made for a right side up fork, get the factory seal.

Also:
As I do not know how you have your bike "leveled" I do not know what the correct lever for your bike will be.
Factory Speck with the forks vertical 146mm (5.8in) pg.CHASSIS 6-14 Service Manual

Front fork oil one side capacity 400cc =/- 2.5 cc gt250

Front fork oil one side capacity 262cc =/- 2.5 cc gt125
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:59:41 PM by Mike on the Rock »
All my Rides are Naked.

Gauss

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »

Is there any difference in the seals looks?
Because both seals look exactly the same.And I would have used the factory seals in the first place,However my order of parts was somehow messed up, I received completely different set of seals...
Thats why I had to get the one I installed locally.
 Furtermore,As I said there wasn't any visible damage on the "bad" seal.Thats what makes me think that perhaps it is something else,Like electric gypsy said.

Now it'll take some time before I get the orignal seals(shipping from korea). What do you think about the crush washer\bushings issue?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:09:12 PM by Gauss »

Pages: [1] 2