• August 21, 2017, 05:28:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: um gone out of business  (Read 6149 times)

courtney

• Training Wheels
um gone out of business
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »

has um gone out of business called hyosung headquarters in atlanta,was told as of last monday the were gone and they(hyosung) do not know how warranty issues will be handled because i have one, waiting on crankshaft.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:55:33 PM by courtney »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
  • Mesa Arizone where it nevers snows
    • www.seaies.com
Re: um gone out of business
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »

Search for UM Motorcycles returns a lot of empty pages and "Can Not Find" but did find the China web page http://www.umglobal.cn/ that seems to be operating.

I under stand that "Hyosung Motors America" sold all of the Hyosung bikes to UM that where sold under the UM name, so I think that maybe you need a lawyer to get them to pony up on the warranty.
Ride safe Mike on the Rock
All my Rides are Naked.

http://seaies.com
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

motorhedfred

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »

I noticed this the other day when I was searching online for the UMAmerica website. The nearest UM dealers to me have all dropped UM in the last 6  months.

MHF

jam-up

• Training Wheels
    • http://www.jamupscycle.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 04:30:34 AM »

:)Great news,UM was causing great confusion with everyday people because UM dealers were telling their customers that they manufactured bikes for Hyosung and then that same would be told by the other so the guy or gal would think somethings fishey and go  buy a kawasaki or honda! Good BY Identity crisis :)

DjZave

• Advanced Medical First Responder
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • St John Ambulance - Oakville Milton Halton Hills
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »

just a quick write up on it here....

http://blog.guidoebert.com/2010/02/09/united-motors-goes-out-of-business.aspx

Powersports vehicle supplier United Motors of America (UM) has gone out of business.

A source tells me UM officially closed its doors Feb. 1. The company’s website – umamerica.com – is down and the phones have been disconnected. Plus, it’s alleged finance firm GE took possession of most, if not all, of the vehicles that were in the company’s warehouse.

Led by the Villegas family out of Colombia, UM spent the past 13 years distributing motorcycles, scooters and ATVs from a 36,000 sq. ft. facility near Miami, Fla.

The Villegas originally were assembling Jincheng motorcycles in Colombia when, in 1995, brothers Jose and Juan ventured to the U.S. to launch Jincheng USA. However, in 2001, the company’s name changed to United Motors USA when the Villegas discontinued buying from Jincheng and the Chinese company moved its distribution to the now-defunct Panda USA.

Since then, UM imported product from several Chinese suppliers, including scooters from Wangye, dirtbikes from CPI, and scooters and ATVs from Qian Jiang. Sales were relatively mediocre until 2005, when the Villegas inked a supply deal with Hyosung Motors whereby the Korean manufacturer would allow UM to rebadge Hyosung motorcycles with the UM logo.

The partnership proved valuable to UM, which attracted a few hundred dealers with its product line-up and soon was selling more motorcycles in the U.S. than Hyosung Motors USA.

What ultimately caused UM’s house of cards to fall? I’m still investigating, but a friend says he recently heard Hyosung’s CEO say UM hasn’t been meeting the terms of the supply agreement because of their lack of available funds – yet another clue as to why GE allegedly cleared out the company’s warehouse of vehicles.

Another interesting piece to the puzzle: the continued existence of UM Global, a company in China that operates as “a registered brand of the United Motors Group” and distributes product to countries like Venezuela, Peru, Argentina, Dominican Republic, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala.

UM was supplying product to 150 dealers when it closed last week.

skadamo

• Administrator
  • Forum Addict
    • http://www.korider.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:54:57 PM »

Thanks for the links and info. Very interesting, unfortunate for UM. Luckly korider members are around to help owners of UM with issues.

Hope Hyosung US does better as a result.

Wonder what UM Global is all about?
2007 GT250R

pops

• pops
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 05:03:55 AM »

so does that mean that we, as Canadians,that ride in the states will have no line of defense or place to do a fix it as we go thru that land of your?

IrishComet650

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 05:08:07 AM »

so does that mean that we, as Canadians,that ride in the states will have no line of defense or place to do a fix it as we go thru that land of your?

Nope. You poor Canadians with your snooty ways and bad manners will have to suffer whenever you decide to cross into our border......
2007 GT650R
S/D Carbon Fiber Shorty Exhaust, BMC Air Filter, Larry Cook Jet Kit, NGK Iridium Plugs, Sylvania Silverstars, Pro Grip Gel Grips

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »

Nope. You poor Canadians with your snooty ways and bad manners will have to suffer whenever you decide to cross into our border......

They do say that Canada has a couple of downsides - It has a border with America and they speak French  ;D ;D
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:20:16 AM »

:)Great news,UM was causing great confusion with everyday people because UM dealers were telling their customers that they manufactured bikes for Hyosung and then that same would be told by the other so the guy or gal would think somethings fishey and go  buy a kawasaki or honda! Good BY Identity crisis :)

Not that good news if you own one though,

Pages: [1] 2