• October 23, 2018, 03:43:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pic's of Aus GT650 lams restriction  (Read 3821 times)

benk

• Regular rider
Pic's of Aus GT650 lams restriction
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »

Thought I'd put some pic's of how much the lams throttle restriction actually is. Here is the butterfly at full throttle

And here you can see the restrictor tack welded onto the throttle stop.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

CodeMonkey

• I'll pretend I wanna be here.
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • My general photo blog - minus words...
Re: Pic's of Aus GT650 lams restriction
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

Hey. Thanks for the pics.

I haven't pulled my bike apart yet to look at the throttle stop up close. And from the previous thread about de-restricting these bikes I could see the difference between the restricted and the unrestricted throttle stop.

I've been planning on doing this as soon as I'm on my fulls (end of this month :) ). Just before I do tho I'll try asking my dealer if they would de-restrict the bike - as they said they would when I first bought it... but I'm pretty sure they won't budge.

If your keen, I'd appreciate any help to do this to my bike - I live in slacks creek (I see your in Ipswich). Let me know. Happy to reimburse you for your time.

benk

• Regular rider
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:15:41 AM »

Mate it's pretty simple to do if all you want is to de-restrict and you don't want it to be reversible. If so pull the LH side fairing off. Loosen the jam nuts on the throttle cables and remove from throttle stop bracket. then remove the bracket, you will need a security screwdriver set if you don't want to damage the upper screw. Once you have removed the throttle stop bracket it will be dead obvious to you how the restriction is done as you can see the second plate tack welded on to the standard stop in two places.

Now if you want to de-restrict it for good drill the two tacks, remove the limiting plate from the throttle stop bracket and refit the bracket in the reverse order to above.

If you want it reversible like I did. You are going to have to make a new throttle stop bracket wich is a little bit of stuffing around as the bracket is not just the stop but also the support for both throttle cables. I made my new bracket out of 0.080" 304 stainless steal. If you go this way you are going to want to pull the fuel tank off and remove the lid for the air box so you can make sure your new bracket is giving full throttle.

To do this remove the pillion seat then there is two bolts on the back of the main seat to remove, once this is done the seat will slide out rear wards. Remove the RH side fairing. Then there is one bolt on the aft side of the fuel tank and once you remove this the tank slides aft. Ideally you would have removed the two small fairings under the seat that run back to the rear seat cowl, I didn't do this but it would make removing and re-fitting the tank much easier. Once the tank is free enough to get access underneath underneath there is two lines and two electrical plugs to undo, then remove the tank ( be aware that the tank is going to drain fuel so either have something to blank the line with or do it at near empty). Then all you have left is the screws that hold the lid on the air box and you can see the throttle bodies.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions just ask.

I'd be glad to give you a hand but wont have time to remake the throttle bracket as it is a bit of stuffing around.

Also not sure if there are other restrictions fitted to the bike but this made a massive difference to the top end power delivery.

CodeMonkey

• I'll pretend I wanna be here.
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • My general photo blog - minus words...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:55:53 AM »

If I carefully cut the tack welds off with, say, a dremel I should be able to weld it back on in case I wanted to re-restrict it no?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:59:57 AM by CodeMonkey »

benk

• Regular rider
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:06:33 AM »

You could do this but it wouldn't be fooling anyone unless you could get the cad platting re done on the bracket otherwise it would be pretty obvious what has been done.

A better option would be when you want to change it back, to ring round some wreckers and just get another bracket to replace the one you have modified.

Pages: [1]