• November 18, 2018, 12:27:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new battery: gt650r wont start. hearing a click!  (Read 9622 times)

velocifero

• Training Wheels
new battery: gt650r wont start. hearing a click!
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »

hello! thanks for any help given. gt650r 2007. the bike has a fresh battery, and always started perfectly. Then after getting off the bike from a 40 minuted ride It wouldnt restart. Now several days later, all it will do is (when clutch is engaged, in N, and pressing the start button) click..one click per starting attempt. I tried to follow the clicking sound.. removed the right side panel to expose  a small black cylinder connected to (+) direct battery connection. The clicking seems to be coming from it..Does anyone know what this cylinder is and if it could have "frozen up" making starting impossible?

Thank you for any help, Im stranded!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

alphamerik

• classic
  • Scraping the pegs
Re: new battery: gt650r wont start. hearing a click!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »

The click is just a relay, you probably have a bad regulator or a bad stator, or maybe bad wire.

Read this thread: http://korider.com/index.php?topic=14684.0
My pistons go 3e10m/s, my sparks are measured in gigawatts, and my oil is made from the dried tears of newbs.

trailridingman

• Regular rider
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »

my starter relay went a few weeks ago. made the same noise, one click when i thumbed the start button. relay is on the right side of the bike. jump the relay, and if the motor cranks, the relay is shot. I landed one off ebay from a 250R for about $20 shipped. I think it is the same on the GV's as well.
2007 UM v2s-650 Naked.
LC Jet Kit
Custom Short Can
AIS Block-Off
Lowered 1.5 inches

velocifero

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »

Thank you for the feedback. I am going to start with a new relay, and hope that cures it.
Found one on ebay for around 20usd. Thanks for the advice!

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
  • Mesa Arizone where it nevers snows
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »

Please post age of bike / battery and location. This is the common click click that usually means you need a new battery :'(
Ride safe Mike on the Rock
All my Rides are Naked.

http://seaies.com
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

cristorey34

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:56:34 PM »

I officially hate my bike for this reason only. I have a 2005 GT650r with about 2300 miles. Well my 2nd starter relay just shit the bed and Im late to work. I first one went at about 2000 miles this one lasted 300 miles. Wow is all I can say. A new one has already been ordered and I officially believe the hype these bikes are a POS. >:(

andtfoot

• Regular rider
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »

Just a reminder that if it is the starter relay that is causing the problem, you can bypass it in a jiffy by shorting out the two contacts on the top with something like a spanner. (I had mine go about 30000km ago, and did this until I found a spare relay from my old Suzuki Across)
As mentioned before, that is also a way of confirming the cause. If it starts straight away when bypassing it, it is most likely the relay.

HyoFuelNazi

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »

I officially hate my bike for this reason only. I have a 2005 GT650r with about 2300 miles. Well my 2nd starter relay just shit the bed and Im late to work. I first one went at about 2000 miles this one lasted 300 miles. Wow is all I can say. A new one has already been ordered and I officially believe the hype these bikes are a POS. >:(

Something I think may save a few relays ...... always try and start the bike in neutral, especially when the engine is cold. The extra clutch drag could be a sunstantial source of higher amperage through the relay and would shorten its life.

cristorey34

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:25:09 PM »

Just a reminder that if it is the starter relay that is causing the problem, you can bypass it in a jiffy by shorting out the two contacts on the top with something like a spanner. (I had mine go about 30000km ago, and did this until I found a spare relay from my old Suzuki Across)
As mentioned before, that is also a way of confirming the cause. If it starts straight away when bypassing it, it is most likely the relay.

I believe I understand what you are saying, in other words take something like a screwdriver and place it so that it touches both metal contacts at the top of the relay?

cristorey34

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »

Something I think may save a few relays ...... always try and start the bike in neutral, especially when the engine is cold. The extra clutch drag could be a sunstantial source of higher amperage through the relay and would shorten its life.

I almost always start my bike this way unless the bike is already warm and Im in a hurry.

**New relay came in and bike didnt turn on once installed. Did the same thing the last relay was doing although I did notice that the relay I was replacing had the date 2-23-2010 stamped on it and the one I ordered had some date from 2008. What are that chances that one was used? ???

Pages: [1] 2