• December 18, 2017, 11:35:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: GV650 Chain Drive..??????  (Read 8461 times)

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
  • Mesa Arizone where it nevers snows
    • www.seaies.com
GV650 Chain Drive..??????
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »

The GV650 comes from the factory with Belt Drive but some have asked me about converting to chain, also some GT650 owners have asked about converting to belt drove, also we have the question about putting the GV650 awing arm and or the rim on a GT650.

Stock Factory Parts:
GV650xpt#notes
BELTx27600H9500108 Links
PULLEY CAMP,drivex27510HP950328 T
SPACER,engine sprocketx27531HN9100x
LOCK WASHER, engine sprocketx09167H2500128 S
NUT, engine sprocketx09159H20001x
PULLEY COMP, belt drivenx27600H950078 T Links

My 2005 GV650 is on its third pair of tires and still on the factory original belt, I have replaced the tires on several other GV650 and "adjusted the belt" on over 6 bikes, none of the belts have broken. Many have come in with the belt out of alignment and the Nut loos,that had been "adjusted" by some local shop.

Un like some HD, the Hyo does not use a tentioner on the drive built but a single sided cog that must be aligned correctly to work.

See for the belt drive conversion of the Gt650.

See [url=http://
for Chain conversion of the Gv650

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:06:49 AM by Mike on the Rock »
Ride safe Mike on the Rock
All my Rides are Naked.

http://seaies.com
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Loun

• Training Wheels
Re: GV650 Chain Drive..??????
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »

You might have to relink those, the GV650 chain drive goes to the GT650 Belt Drive thread :) 3 pages of my life I will never get back :p 

I appreciate your help with this matter, im kicking it around.  I snapped the drive belt last night on a 2nd gear shift.  They are so pricey and to be honest if 72-78HP can snap a belt that easily... "I dont want any."  Unless of course it was over tightened or something but again I dont understand how it would just snap that easily.  Maybe im just too rough on my bikes..?  Do these have to be babied?

Anyhow, I will check back for the link later on tonight.  Thank you a ton in advance.

-Lou

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »

Check the price on the HD Belt.

My personal experience is that the belt is good, it is incorrect adjustment that has caused most of the breakage.

You will need to change the cush drive and several spacers to convert to chain drive on the GV650, you will still have to correctly adjust the chain or you will have trouble with the chain.

All my Rides are Naked.

Loun

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:05:15 AM »

"You will need to change the cush drive and several spacers to convert to chain drive on the GV650, you will still have to correctly adjust the chain or you will have trouble with the chain."

I understand the chain will need to be properly adjusted but it also will not break with the power produced by this bike.  And at $250-280 per belt... its a costly weak link in my opinion.  Then again I come from sport bikes where you are able to beat on the bike all day long and they dont really break.  So maybe im just hoping for too much out of this GV.

You mention HD belt.  I assume that means there is a Harley Davidson belt that can be used on this bike? 27600H9500 looks like a hyo belt do you have a Harley part number or am I reading that wrong.

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:13:52 AM »

I do not have the HD parts numbers, but the reference was about price.

To use the HD belt would require lengthen the swing arm and having new cogs fabricated.

Belts only available in a few sizes/lengths, very limited and expensive.

From Korea, plus postage:
Drive Belt GV650 ST7
New 108L drive belt for Hyosung Avitar/Aquila GV650 and ST7. Part number 27600HP9500.
   $244.74
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:00:01 AM by Mike on the Rock »
All my Rides are Naked.

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:04:17 AM »

"You will need to change the cush drive and several spacers to convert to chain drive on the GV650, you will still have to correctly adjust the chain or you will have trouble with the chain."

I understand the chain will need to be properly adjusted but it also will not break with the power produced by this bike.  And at $250-280 per belt... its a costly weak link in my opinion.  Then again I come from sport bikes where you are able to beat on the bike all day long and they dont really break.  So maybe im just hoping for too much out of this GV.

You mention HD belt.  I assume that means there is a Harley Davidson belt that can be used on this bike? 27600H9500 looks like a hyo belt do you have a Harley part number or am I reading that wrong.

I think what Mike was saying was that the belt probably broke because it was incorrectly aligned and weaked, and if you do that with a chain it will break too...

Loun

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 02:52:52 AM »

A misaligned chain will wear away at the sprockets unless of course you are an idiot and it doesnt line up at all.  New aftermarket sprockets are in the $40 range.  Id rather be replacing one of those than a $280 belt.  I guess again my thing is, I know a 525 chain will hold up to my riding style.  I now have 0 confidence in the stock Hyosung belt and will always be wondering how weak they are even if its aligned right.

The bike I just bought has 2200 miles on it and was bought with 0 miles from the guy I bought it from in January of this year 2010.  The belt hasnt been abused it was stored inside in a garage, I rode it for 1 day and it snapped.  Yes maybe it was misaligned by the dealership that put it together but is that my fault?  Is that something I should have to pay $280 + labor to replace at 2200 miles?  Whats to say its not going to happen again after the next dealership installs and "aligns" the new one.  Then if it does break do I have a leg to stand on if its a couple thousand miles later or do I get the lube out and shell out another $300's + for a one off crappy part with no better alternatives?

Those are the things im questioning right now and the reason I PM'd Mike about the chain conversion last night.

Jim Stephens

• I ride a 2007 GV650. Ride safe
  • Learner rider
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 07:12:43 AM »

I have an 07 that I bought new in 2010, January. I have just over 10K miles on my bike. "Knock on wood" I have not had any issues with the bike. I usually cruise at about 70 to 80 mph everywhere I go. Whether I'm going 20 or 112 mph, it seems to handle and like the same at either speed. I don't think it will be worth all the hassle of changing it over to chain versus what you will get out of it. If your planning on putting a quiter exhaust on the bike, you will probably end up hearing the chain over the exhaust. I cut one of the baffels out of the stock pipe. It sounds real good going down the road, but at a stop light, its pretty quiet. Like you said, even the chain could break, if that happens it could cause a lot more damage. Don't know if that helps at all. I get on the bike pretty hard now and then and the belt still looks new after 10k miles in Texas.

You might have to relink those, the GV650 chain drive goes to the GT650 Belt Drive thread :) 3 pages of my life I will never get back :p  

I appreciate your help with this matter, im kicking it around.  I snapped the drive belt last night on a 2nd gear shift.  They are so pricey and to be honest if 72-78HP can snap a belt that easily... "I dont want any."  Unless of course it was over tightened or something but again I dont understand how it would just snap that easily.  Maybe im just too rough on my bikes..?  Do these have to be babied?

Anyhow, I will check back for the link later on tonight.  Thank you a ton in advance.

-Lou
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:17:11 AM by stigger »
Rangers Lead the Way

ActionOrlando

• Regular rider
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »

I think whygostock has a 520 chain drive conversion for the GV650.   Comes with front and rear sprockets, 520 O-Ring chain and spacers.  I think around $150 which is much less than a new belt which is around $300 by the time you order off of Ebay. 
The other benefit that has not been mentioned is the ability to change front and rear sprocket size. 
I see people talking about dropping a GT650R motor in their GV650 just to get a 6th gear.  What would this cost???? $3 - $4K.  Once you go to chain you can change sprockets for about $20 bucks!!!

ilksonson

• Learner rider
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 04:28:19 PM »

Hi I am going to change by bike from belt to chain, the main reason being I intent to tour alot next year in europe and do not want to be worrying about belt breaking in the middle of nowhere, you can get a chain from all most anywhere. I like the idea of a belt but I am not sure if I can trust it for the trips I am planning.

safe riding

Mick D

Pages: [1] 2 3