• July 17, 2018, 12:38:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ticking/Rattling - White Smoke - I think I'm screwed  (Read 4460 times)

Unkillable_thrill

• Training Wheels
Ticking/Rattling - White Smoke - I think I'm screwed
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:14:44 AM »

Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem.  I have a 2007 gt250r with about 7500 miles on it.  I have had the bike for about 3.5 months and have put 4,500 miles on it.

The bike was making a small rattling noise for a little while before this, but it sounded like it was coming from behind the instrument cluster, so I figured it was just a plastic piece between the windscreen and the instrument cluster.

The rattling/ticking noise suddenly got worse and now I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust whenever I run the bike.  I have only ridden it for about 5 miles like this because I'm afraid of increasing the damage.  The smoke is pretty heavy and smells like burnt oil.

I have had a couple people say that the smoke can be from the rings, valve guides, cam chain issues, or a gasket, but none of them can explain the noise it's making.

Here are a couple videos.  Thank you!

EDIT:  I was also wondering if anyone could recommend a reliable shop in the SF Bay Area.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:23:24 PM by Unkillable_thrill »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Caligonetx

• FGE Riding; MSRH, TWS, GSS, HMP, HRP
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
  • ForestGnome TourGuide
    • MotoHouston
Re: Ticking/Rattling - White Smoke - I think I'm screwed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:19:45 AM »

To diagnose, especially over the internet, need to narrow everything down as much as possible.

Did the knock and the 'oil smoke' start at the same time?
Noise change when pulling in the clutch?
If you put a towel over the exhaust tip, does the noise change? Can it be located easier?
Is the oil level lower from oil burning?

Pull the spark plugs, which one has oil all over it?

Is the tapping noise engine speed or double engine speed? Double would be valvetrain, normal low end.

Put a stethascope on your ears or use a large vacuum hose, go around the engine, do you hear exhaust leaks? can you pin point the knock?

If you disconnect a coil/spark plug will that cylinder get quieter(w the knock noise)?

All these things help determine the situation. If the oil burning happened the same time during the knock, Id suspect low end damage. A bad valve tapping wouldnt necessarily damage the umbbrella seal since the the excessive interference of the cam lobe to the valve stem seat that is making the noise. GL!

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:29:25 AM »

That sounds really broken, I'd not run it again until I'd pulled the heads off...

Unkillable_thrill

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »

Did the knock and the 'oil smoke' start at the same time?

No, the knock started earlier by a couple weeks.  It seemed to get better when the bike was warmed up.  It got a lot worse when the smoke started.

Noise change when pulling in the clutch?

No, the clutch doesn't change the noise at all.

If you put a towel over the exhaust tip, does the noise change? Can it be located easier?

I haven't tried this yet, I will do this when I get home from class tonight.

Is the oil level lower from oil burning?

Not by any noticeable amount, but I also haven't run it very much since this problem started.

Pull the spark plugs, which one has oil all over it?

I quickly pulled the plug on the rear cylinder and it had oil on it

Is the tapping noise engine speed or double engine speed? Double would be valvetrain, normal low end.

I'm not quite sure what each one would sound like.  Sorry  :(

Put a stethascope on your ears or use a large vacuum hose, go around the engine, do you hear exhaust leaks? can you pin point the knock?

I can see some exhaust coming from the connection between the muffler and the pipe, but I haven't had a chance yet to try and pinpoint it using your method.

If you disconnect a coil/spark plug will that cylinder get quieter(w the knock noise)?

Another thing I'll have to try when I get home.

Thank you for the advice, I'll get back to you with the other information as soon as I can.

Unkillable_thrill

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:50:55 AM »

The towel over the exhaust didn't quiet it at all.  It also didn't allow me to see any exhaust leaks (other than the one where the pipe connects to the muffler).

I used a screw driver to try and narrow down where the noise is coming from and I wasn't able to narrow it down too much, but it definitely sounds like it's at the rear cylinder.

As far as the timing of the ticking, I'm still not quite sure what you mean by "double engine speed", but the ticking would increase in frequency faster than the rpms.  I assume that is what you mean.

Thanks again!

pauly_adams

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »

i had a similar issue. mine was ticking just a little bit and then it suddenly got worse when i was riding to work one day, all i can say is get it too the shop cause mine threw a big end bearing and wrote my whole engine off made a hell of a bang too.

Alantris

• Grinding the pipes
  • Life is just another ride home
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:29:31 AM »

You think right... you're screwed..

kurtp2

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 02:03:19 PM »

What ever happened with this bike?  This thread just faded out.  I was curious what the problem was in case it ever happened to me.
Hyosung GT250R EFI, IXIL Euroline oval slip-on carbon fiber shorty, Skidmarx rear hugger, Puig double bubble windscreen

Alantris

• Grinding the pipes
  • Life is just another ride home
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 04:15:51 AM »

I think its in the shop for a rebuild, must've been the rings and cylinder.

Unkillable_thrill

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 09:48:21 PM »

Sorry guys, didn't think there was a ton of interest.  Here's the update:

I took it to SF Moto and was told that they would have to tear down the engine just to diagnose it.  That would have been $380 of labor to take it apart and $380 to put it back together plus the cost of fixing whatever was causing the problem (assuming it was fixable).  I decided that I'm gonna look for a used motor.

When I took it to my friend's place we compression tested it and both cylinders were around 127 psi.  That's about 8.8 kg/cm^2, just above half of what it should be.  I'm really not sure what to do, I'm having trouble finding used engine.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

Pages: [1] 2