• August 22, 2018, 03:06:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trouble with bike starting, believed to be issues with fuel...  (Read 5467 times)

HyoJoe

• Training Wheels
Trouble with bike starting, believed to be issues with fuel...
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »

Hi all,

First off let me just say I am new to this (motorcycles/engines) and really appreciate all the help I have already received from this form just from reading previous posts.  

Now, on to my issue.  I bought my 2008 Hyosung GT250R used in January 2009, rode it very little (only about 20 miles total) through October of that year and then left it sitting until now (very stupid i now know but was due to some personal committments I had previously made).  So the bike has been sitting for about 16 months i'd say and only has 2,006 miles on it right now.  I have already changed the oil and tested and replaced the battery.  Now when i try to start the bike I just get that ruh ruh ruh ruh but the engine will not kick on.  I was able to get the engine to fire up by spraying some started fluid directly into the air filter opening (after removing tank of course) but it won't stay on very long (maybe 10-30 seconds) and is pretty much only running on the fluid I spray in so it seems to me to be a problem with not getting enough fuel to the motor.  I checked the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, filter to pump, and pump to carb, and all seem to be flowing fine with no blockages (there is a little bit of air that seems to always be in the filter portion, is this normal??)  Also, the pump seems to be pushing out fuel just fine.  

So i am thinking that the problem is that by leaving my bike sitting for so long the fuel inside the carb varnished and is now causing blockages and the carburetor needs to be removed and cleaned.  Also, when I blow into the fuel line input onto the carburetor I do not see any fuel coming out of the horizontal facing jets but rather fuel comes straight up vertically through some other openings on the top side of the carb (they seem like some kind of overflow???) - Does this indicate that my carb is clogged?

I reallllllllllly appreciate any and all information anyone can provide regarding this carburetor or if they think there is anything else I should check considering the bike sat for so long.  THANK YOU!!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:12:56 PM by HyoJoe »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

woody101088

• Grinding the pipes
Re: Trouble with bike starting, believed to be carburetor issues
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:08:48 PM »

check everything.  All the brake lines, all the fuel lines, the tires, the chain, all the rubber hoses and check the cables and lubricate as necessary. i would also say lube all the points that have bearings as well.

axle re-grease front and rear. Change all fluids, oil, break fluid, and just for fun change the fork oil to a heavier weight.
09 GV650 - ZX6R master cyl, EBC pads, 4POT calipers
08 GT650 - parting out PM for parts. Runs great no issues

lovehatetony

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:42:54 PM »

Since you mentioned it only runs on the fluid you put in my guess is that the carbs are clogged.  You should put some seafoam or some carb cleaner in the tank and let it sit.   Sometimes it might work if not take it out and clean. Thats my guess
07' Hyosung GT250r

HyoJoe

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:39:20 AM »

check everything.  All the brake lines, all the fuel lines, the tires, the chain, all the rubber hoses and check the cables and lubricate as necessary. i would also say lube all the points that have bearings as well.

axle re-grease front and rear. Change all fluids, oil, break fluid, and just for fun change the fork oil to a heavier weight.

I have checked everything i could and all seems fine, lubed (redid the chain today, thank you) and all the rubber hoses seemed good.  Also noted no leaks anywhere.  Didn't change the fork oil yet but once i get it up and running i will look into that.  Thanks for the reply.

Since you mentioned it only runs on the fluid you put in my guess is that the carbs are clogged.  You should put some seafoam or some carb cleaner in the tank and let it sit.   Sometimes it might work if not take it out and clean. Thats my guess

After a days more work, and using a bunch of carb cleaner and watching, i actually think the carb may be okay.  It now seems like the problem is the bike is just not getting gas somehow...  The fuel pump seems fine (we filled the tube with gas and got it started and the pump is definitely shooting gas out towards the carb so it seems like the problem is before the pump) but I think the issue may now be around the fuel valve on the bottom of the tank and the suction tubes, etc, which i really do not have a good understanding of.  Is it possible the gas that was in the tank varnished and is now clogging that valve before it even gets to the pumo? Can anyone shed some light on this or what tests i should run to try and isolate where my issue is and how to fix?  Again, thank you to any and all for the help, i really appreciate it and would like at least to have an idea of whats going on before i get an expensive mechanic involved...

lovehatetony

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: Trouble with bike starting, believed to be issues with fuel...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:08:37 AM »

Did you try to drain the gas in the tank and refill it with fresh gas?  Not an expert on this but I know its frustrating to not get your bike to start
07' Hyosung GT250r

netbug

• Regular rider
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:04 AM »

Just a suggestion. Drain the carburetor  bowl, hopefully this will remove some of the bad fuel in there. Close the the drain screw and try starting again.

HyoJoe

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:35:39 AM »

Did you try to drain the gas in the tank and refill it with fresh gas?  Not an expert on this but I know its frustrating to not get your bike to start

Done already - thanks for the input.

Just a suggestion. Drain the carburetor  bowl, hopefully this will remove some of the bad fuel in there. Close the the drain screw and try starting again.

I was just going to look into doing that, do you know how i can find the drain screw? Not sure where it is on the carb...

Also, I found this previous thread that seems like it could be the same issue as i am having (maybe something with the fuel cock, whatever that is...)  but i am not exactly sure what it is saying i should do... http://korider.com/index.php?topic=12091.0   Can anyone help to clarify this for me?

netbug

• Regular rider
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 02:58:43 AM »

http://korider.com/index.php?topic=381.0
should give you a good explanation about the carburetor. I suggest you go through the whole thread.  Lots of good information there.

Flushing the fuel bowl would not clean the jets, easiest method to clean jets is to take the cover off and spray them with cleaner.
You do not have to remove the carburetor to do this, however cleaning the carburetor is easier when you take it off.

Pages: [1]