• August 20, 2018, 07:53:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: How to derestrict an EFI Hyosung GT650 LAMS model  (Read 81351 times)

650Comet

• Regular rider
How to derestrict an EFI Hyosung GT650 LAMS model
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »

Stop searching. Stop debating. This is it. How to unrestrict your 40kw EFI LAMS 650 Hyosung.

This afternoon I and a friend set to work on unrestricting my GT650. Theres been a lot of debate on the web:

Q1. is it a physical or computer restriction?
A: Think about it, Hyosung does everything on the cheap. Is it cheap to make 2 ecu flashes? no. Is it cheap to put a physical governor on a bike to make it weaker? Heck yes.

Q2: Is it easy to do?
A: yes. there is only one gotcha that most people might not have in their regular tool box.

Q3: Alright enough talk, how do it do it?
A: Read on.

You will need:

10mm spanner
12mm spanner or socket
Phillips screwdriver
A Torx screwdriver set/head like this

A cold chisel
Mallet or hammer
A vice

1. You will need to remove your left side fairing if you have an R model.
2. Remove seat and remove petrol tank, theres only one bolt under the seat slip the tank backwards and upwards, prop it up and disconnect hoses and cables underneath. Set aside.
3. remove airbox lid. once this is done you can easily see the restrictive measure. Open your throttle full. look down the air inlets at the butterfly valves, they will be barely 45 degrees open. Obviously this is the restriction.
4. crouch next to the left hand side of the bike, look for the upper throttle body. twist the throttle should help you see it better.
5. You will see the special torx screw holding the cable plate onto the throttle body
6. You can drill out the centre of the torx screw like we did or if youre special use a proper tool. pull that sucker of a bolt out.

7. disconnect the throttle return and open cables, loosen off the 12mm nuts holding it on to the silver bracket, remove any other supporting bolts and pull the bracket off.
8. at this point it should be apparant youre looking at a dodgily done Hyosung special. This is the restrictor that is governing the throttle. if you flip it sideways you can see that the two plates are tack welded together. You need to knock that crappy additional plate off. Cold chisel ready?

9.Put the bracket in a vice and attack those spot welds. We used a drill and cold chisel and mallet. CAREFUL THOUGH the bracket is a soft metal and bends easily.

10. Once you have succesfully removed the tacked on plate you have won the battle.

11. Reattach the newly single piece plate to your throttle body. Reattach throttle cables. Install airbox cover, install fuel tank, reattach seat.

ENJOY YOUR NEWLY ACQUIRED 22KW!!!!!

I noticed it mostly in the top end. You will obviously have more throttle to twist now so give it a good twist of the wrist and you will immediately see the improvement!

DISCLAIMER: I assume no responsibility, you are your own person and make your own mistakes and efforts. This guide assumes a decent degree of mechanical ability. Do not attempt this solo if you are not confident in you ability.

Hereth Endeth the Lesson.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

hotdiggerty

• Grinding the pipes
  • red is faster.
Re: How to derestrict an EFI Hyosung GT650 LAMS model
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »

;D yeh stop debating, if we all do it, it,s called mass-debating? great helpful detail in the post 650 comet,post ya results guys.
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT BECOMES ILLEGAL !

08 gt650-s  stock- 13500ks 25/2/11

benk

• Regular rider
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »

Nice Post.

Still not 100% on the ecu though. Mine has been de-restricted for nearly a year now by removing the throttle stop like you have ( although I remade the stop so I could re restrict with the original if I wanted to) and I think the fueling lower in the revs (sub 6K) is better with the restrictor in place. This is why when a power commander is available I think there will be good mid range gains to be had.

650Comet

• Regular rider
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »

that doesnt stand up to the Hyosung 'cheap and functional' philosophy.

A power commander will give good gains to pretty much any bike but again, given Hyosungs usual approach I reckon there could be a good 10nm hidden in there.

It really sings after 5500rpm ive noticed. it likes the cruise around in the lower revs though quite happily.

PMJYDNL

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:21:32 AM »

Seriously and honestly hate to dissapoint you.....but all you have managed to do is to unrestrict the Throttle travel. By no means have you "Deristricted" the bike.

Beleive it or not flashing is extremely simple and it does not require any manufacturer to absorb another cost such as having a different ECU or throttle body etc. Mapping odf the computer is a very simple process and the devcelopment of various maps is as quick as you can find the time to do it.

Your ECU is controlling your Fuel and Air Mix, Your fuel flow and your timing.

In regards to Hyo, what they have done with the ECU is done so precisely to stop people like yourself unscrewing a few bolts or griding off a little lug and rejetting as you would with the non EFI model.
The EFI uses the Neutral light sensor to advise the ECU what gear you are currently in. As part of the mapping process, you would increase the fuel and air mix as your revs increases. The whole concept of the EFI is to have this woked out to obtain the optimum mix to allow the engine to produce the best result as at that point in time. What the restricted flash does is that it will limit the amout of air/fuel mix as at a certain point. Basically if you look at the graph on the dyno, it will rise and then taper off and you will not get any further improvement therefore power from there. In the preEFI they had a hole on top of th slide which would allow more Air intake (make the bike run leaner to restict any further increase). What the unrestricted flash does is that it is set to seliver the max Air/fuel mix at any given range especially when the throttle id further opened up.

Power commander does not give you increased power. It is purely an ECU with multiple points where it allows you to map/program your Air/Fuel mix at many different points between the closed throttle and the full open. So basically you can program an air/fuel mix to suit the engine at that point in time.

I can guarentee you this...take your bike to the Dyno and you will not be getting your 82bhp.

650Comet

• Regular rider
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:41:48 AM »

What proof can you offer to this statement? Have you had your 650 EFI derestricted and witnessed a Hyo workshop do a flash on the ECU?

CodeMonkey

• I'll pretend I wanna be here.
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • My general photo blog - minus words...
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 05:51:44 AM »

Considering Australia is the only market I know of with a restricted hyo... I'm not convinced.hyosung would go through all that effort to restrict a bike for a small market like us.. And yes, op, my bike has already been derestricted. You send me a pm on netrider asking me.

PMJYDNL

• Learner rider
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:25:03 AM »

Consider this. Australia has one of the toughest (if not the toughest) of emission control systems in the world.
QLD RTA started the ball rolling on demanding that Hyosung met their requirements and also conforms with their LAMS approved program. Thsi was done with almost next to nil consultation with the industry. QLD RTA  (in particular) were also extremely concerned with the ease with which the deristriction placed on the 650 could be overridden. The other States having the same LAMS systems, jumped on the band wagon. Hyo had two alternatives 1. conform to the RTA's rquirements and find different ways to apply restriction as well as remaining below the emission control 2. No longer be able to import the 650 and sell as LAMS approved (which happens to be HYO primary market in Aust). Now take a guess at which way they went. If you think that I am sniffing too much exhaust, you may be able to search the RTA for Info. I will simply say that I am in that industry.

Codemonkey,yes I do recall our discussion re same. As an aside, i too have remove the throttle restriction on my bike, but because I was unhappy with its performance and response, I have had th bike up on the dyno and as they say the rest is history and has been expressed in my previous post. I also had the opportunity of riding a fully derestricted 650 last Friday (and it did not have a power commander) that had been reflashed and let me tell you the difference is more than just noticable. If your BMW friend still has the flash program, get him to do it and we can then compare apples with apples.

Another alternative is to get someone in the states to provide a Dyno chart of their unrestricted bike and compare it to a throttle restriction removed bike.

Comet
To answer your two questions...in short YES as early as last Friday. Although it is was not my personal bike.
You have removed your throttle stopper and you also have changed your exhaust, so technicaly you should be in a position to have the full HP out of your engine. Have the bike Dyno and then we will know if it reaches it full capacity through all gears.

You are putting too much emphasis on Hyo doing things on the cheap. A Map does not cost anything to produce....this is not just restricted to motor bikes, it also applies to cars....such as my SS

PMJYDNL

• Learner rider
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:25 AM »

Please understand that I am not trying to discredit what you have done or said, but it is a common thought amongst many but I thought needed clarification. If it were that simple, we would not have been discussing this or trying to find solutions almost 2 years on.
Cheers

hotdiggerty

• Grinding the pipes
  • red is faster.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 06:44:54 AM »

:) many thanx for you thread pmj, factual and detailed. much food for thought,mmm meaty! cheers
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT BECOMES ILLEGAL !

08 gt650-s  stock- 13500ks 25/2/11

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16