• July 20, 2019, 02:24:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How good is your Hyosung? 2008 - 2009  (Read 18530 times)

harosung

• Training Wheels
Re: How good is your Hyosung? 2008 - 2009
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 04:03:54 AM »

Build quality is quite poor. The bolts on my 2008 model must be made of plastic as they keep snapping.

I had an '88 model Honda Spada 250 which I crashed. It slid about 30 metres along concrete road. I replaced a mirror, bent the gear selector back to its original position and it was good to go again. I now have an '08 model GT650 Comet with crash knobs. It slid about 10 metres on gravel and is now leaking oil and coolant. Rear brake is seized and the water pump cracked and was pumping rocks into the engine.

You get what you pay for so can't really complain I guess.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Croakie

• Learner rider
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »

I really can't say good. Maybe not terrible, but an otherwise good machine is let down by it's faults
Namely:
Wiring - the bigegst issue since it leads to so many other things
Seizing Brakes and in general bad quality brakes
I have owned a number of bikes and only one other made me swear at it constantly - and that was an '85FJ1100 which was older than I was at the time that just had problem after problem. But even then it still had an awesome feel to it. The Hyosung has usually just left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Right now every time I ride it I just hope that it's actually going to start
Also cannot forget the lack of attention to detail eg the forks and oil problem. A sub standard rear shock and the wiring. i know I mentioned that, but it really irks me. In general it seems the bikes just have not been built with care and thought and rather slapped together with whatever goes. and then also poor after sales service.
I get delivery of my bike tomorrow. Then it's on to some well needed maintanance and fixes and then, i hope to enjoy riding it again
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:52:12 PM by Croakie »

shedhead

• Training Wheels
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 02:53:10 PM »

dead thread resurrection i realise but cant leave a last impression comment of moaning minnies.

personally im impressed with my gv650 08 injection considering the cost of it.

i bought into it knowing id have to upgrade and change stuff,but after 50yrs of riding,building chops blahdyblah,its nothing i cant handle.
indeed i enjoy it.part of biking for me.

its a 650 cheepo oriental bike,its not a 20k harley nor a 25k ducati..

i would suggest people who find the hyo's hard work stay well away from bikes in general as theres no such thing as 100% reliable anything,if its made by humans its going to Break

im member of ducati and hd forums, ;)  theres pages n pages of ****ups from both those makes,the bills to fix their problems are sometimes big enough to render the bikes a complete write off.

drro85

• Training Wheels
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 07:02:51 PM »

dead thread resurrection i realise but cant leave a last impression comment of moaning minnies.

personally im impressed with my gv650 08 injection considering the cost of it.

i bought into it knowing id have to upgrade and change stuff,but after 50yrs of riding,building chops blahdyblah,its nothing i cant handle.
indeed i enjoy it.part of biking for me.

its a 650 cheepo oriental bike,its not a 20k harley nor a 25k ducati..

i would suggest people who find the hyo's hard work stay well away from bikes in general as theres no such thing as 100% reliable anything,if its made by humans its going to Break

im member of ducati and hd forums, ;)  theres pages n pages of ****ups from both those makes,the bills to fix their problems are sometimes big enough to render the bikes a complete write off.

Throwing my thoughts out there, i'd agree, people seem to think cheap = bad and that jap bikes are perfect, i knew id have some work to do on my GV650, and i don't mind doing it, but Ive done less work on it then i had to do on my so called high end\expensive jap bike (xvs1300) which had a starter motor fall to pieces after 20k miles, wiring loom faults, bad\non weather proof relay wiring, crap rear caliper, or my honda which has the coils directly in line with the crap thrown up by the front wheel and nothing to protect them.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 09:18:16 PM »

They are cheap. That makes them instantly attractive to new riders.

While many are very mechanically savvy, most are not comfortable tinkering with electrical systems. This quite often squarely lands them in the 'too hard' basket.

To compound this, the electricals are going to go bad. ..no, not might go bad. ..are going to go bad.

Mechanically, these bikes are tuned well within their limits. While 80hp out of a 650cc motor might seem like an ambitious level of tune, I have never seen one of these bikes throw a rod. Never seen one blowing smoke, or lose compression either. There is a caveat to this though, the bike has to be one with the post 2007 revised head, stamped with a dot. On those earlier heads, the valve guides were too long. They would heat up the valve stem and seize it open, smashing it into the piston.

Here is where things get a bit shittier. Management of the company. Instead of fixing the known bad heads, the company used it's entire back stock of those flawed heads and sold them on new some bikes up to 2008, knowing that there was going to be a failure rate.

The company have known for over a decade about their poor charging system and have never, not in 10 years of manufacture, thought to fix it. ..and it is SO SIMPLE to fix.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 07:04:04 AM »

As you said,  as long as you are comfortable doing electrical repairs , buying an EFI Hyosung is a no brainer .
I'm more than happy with mine , after fixing all the electrics that is .
A very underrated bike.
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]