• June 23, 2017, 06:19:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: How good is your Hyosung? 2010 - 2011  (Read 16747 times)

hotdiggerty

• Grinding the pipes
  • red is faster.
Re: How good is your Hyosung? 2010 - 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »

>:(  get a life !
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT BECOMES ILLEGAL !

08 gt650-s  stock- 13500ks 25/2/11

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Alantris

• Grinding the pipes
  • Life is just another ride home
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »

Chill, some people have had very bad episodes with their hyos, specifically the 2004-2005, with every side denying the fact that the head design was at fault. Somehow, the periodic maintenance chart suggest decarbonize and valve check at 12K and 20 ish mileage, which is absurd by modern standards. The flaw was a design fault and not operator error.

Though the problem has been rectified on the newer model, i don't blame stigger or whoever who owns the 04-05 model, Hyosung disappoints them big time. Big Japs Manufacturer like honda have face similar issue before, like the notorious chocolate cam of the VFR750, and they made similar course of action, introducing oil additive and so on to fix a design fault, but when they fix the probs in the later model, they overdid it with gear driven cams, hence all the grudge was replaced with awe. However, Hyo just fix the issue in a conventional way and try their best to forget the 04-05, not good.

hotdiggerty

• Grinding the pipes
  • red is faster.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »

:o alantris, read stiggers thread, not very polite! to THREATEN to delete the postings of forum users cos they state their opinion?  so where are all these bikes with the faulty design now? the fault could,nt be rectified or modified? was there a hyosung recall cos of their faulty design? just asking, cos i don,t know. have you evaluated all the postings on this forum as to come to the conclusion  that all of those bikes of 04-05 were faulty?   why would anyone buy a hyo. after those problems? let,s just simplify the whole mass- debate by saying that hyosungs are crap, we are morons for buying them,and that proper maintainence and servicing[like all vehicles] has no bearing on the operational life of these bikes. too easy!

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 12:30:39 AM »

OK so I missed a  ;) there my bad...

But I am heartily sick of people blaming failures which are plainly hyos' fault on the owner...

Is it the owners fault that the charging system is crap, causing the reg of stator to go usually taking out the other and the battery with it.
Is it the owners fault that the cranks on the 250's were incorrectly put together causing them to fail.
Or what about the cam chain tensioners being made from children's toys and failing.
And my personal favourite the short guides on the 650 causing the valves to stick and hit thing causing $1,000's of damage.

None of these can possibly be attributed to maintenance, you happily maintain your bike to all of Hyo's standards and none of it will stop any of these failures...

As far as the valves the own people that have ever owned up were the Mainland European importer, they recalled every 650 in the range and replaced the heads, these a rumour that Hyo US repaired all the ones that they had in the warehouse but never issued a recall, and if you ask Hyo Aus it never happened...

So yes maintenance will not save you from a failure with a hyo...

Alantris

• Grinding the pipes
  • Life is just another ride home
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 12:54:34 AM »

Sadly, it's true, earlier model have had design faults. Hyo is improving, but what was done then have been done, nothing can be said to make it go away. As for the earlier batch with the faults, in other parts of the world, I don't know, here where I lived, most owners repaired it themselves. For those who knows and are informed, they changed to the updated heads, for those who dont, they would change the valves which will fail again. Hyo don't communicate well with their customer.

The post 07 Hyo, carburetted, are great bikes, minor issues, nothing more than what you'd expect of a jap bike, and i've seen em running strong past 50 K without major problems. The post 07 also have better rec. which lasted over 30K, the 04-05 tends to fail at around 20K.

What can be said about hyo now, in 2011, mechanical failures are no more since the 07 model, electrical gremlins are there, but most have it fixed DIY. You can make a Hyo lasts, heck you can make any bike lasts, as long as u know what you're doing, you'd be ok. Most of the issues before was due to lack of support from hyo and from the dealers. When the blown head issues surfaces, most dealers don't even wanna know why it happened. It could've been a simple fix, which Hyo ignored.

However, for the money, Hyo is a well designed bike, engine wise, it is improving, and for now, i can say it is mechanically reliable as long as it's not the 04-05 model. :) if you do have the 04-05, please cross check your vin, and please change ur heads or change to single piece stronger valves.

Honda made the same mistake before, but for hyo to repeat Honda's mistake, that is well, ignorant of them. Anyhow, dont be let down by this, the 2010-2011 line up looks strong, and performed great and reliable as well. It's looking good :)

CodeMonkey

• I'll pretend I wanna be here.
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • My general photo blog - minus words...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 01:30:06 AM »

Well, my 2010 gt650r is a big disappointment... mechanically ok, but charging system suck. And rear master cylinder has seized up. So I don't think they really improved much except for the valve issues of 04. Best thing about the new bikes are the front brakes, and that's about it.

hotdiggerty

• Grinding the pipes
  • red is faster.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 01:33:36 AM »

:D thanks alantris, a great informed and positive post,well done. i,ve went back on the 650 pages and there is some good advice there. wotever ya ride,just ride, ok! cheers

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 01:49:48 AM »

Just a couple of points the valve issue extends into 06 as well, basically the first 3 years of manufacture. The 2010/2011's haven't really had time to prove themselves one way or another.

There are only two really bad bits of design that I'm aware of left the stupid position of the water pump that punches though the side case in almost any drop, and the rear master that rusts solid after 5 minutes all the rest just seem to be caused by cheeping out on materials...

By the way @Alantris are you sure about the clutch plate thing cos that may be a way to half the price of clutches...

Bukefal

• Learner rider
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 06:05:58 AM »

Ok the next person I hear that blames poor design and low rent materials on maintenance get all there posts vanished...

I fcuking sick of that cop out...

geez settle down.  no one here is using bad maintenance as a cover for bad bikes.  i'm the first to admit that the build quality of hyos is not the same as the more expensive bikes.  but the fact is that many hyo riders are younger (coz the bikes a cheaper) and many of them are not very interested/aware/careful about taking care of their bike.  i know several riders who don't even know the break-in procedure.  riders that forego proper maintenance, especially on bikes that are of lesser overall quality to begin with, are asking for problems down the track. 

CodeMonkey

• I'll pretend I wanna be here.
  • Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • My general photo blog - minus words...
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 07:02:40 AM »

Well I just replaced the rear master cylinder myself this morning. Very easy to do and at 90 bucks from korea not that expensive to do. It did last me 20,000kms and I think a big reason it rusted up (other than poor design) was that the bike was sitting for 3 weeks due to another problem. Normally I ride almost every day (minimum 5 days a week) and use the rear a lot - so this must've allowed it to last so long on my bike. But yeah, it seized up good.

While I'm disappointed with the bike, I can't say that I regret my purchase of it. I don't know if that is rational or not. I think it will have some sentimental value to me - first bike and all. And admittedly it has forced me to learn some things about bikes I didn't think I'd need to know. I've pretty much given up on the dealer and warranty. They can't service my bike competently nor can they fix any of the issues it has had.

I've resigned to the fact that nobody would want to buy my bike off me - and I would feel a little bad handing the hyo and all its problems onto someone else, unless they knew and were prepared to do DIY fixing.

I'll be keeping it until the day it gives up the spirit to be such a failure of a bike.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:05:31 AM by CodeMonkey »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8