• October 21, 2018, 03:07:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stall on Downshift  (Read 1582 times)

jrose

• Learner rider
Stall on Downshift
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »

I'm experiencing trouble with my GV650SE stalling on downshifting. Not necessarily stalling, but seems more like the engine just shuts off! Only thing that I have come up with is that the bike does not like being downshifted to first gear unless you almost at a complete stop. Anyone else?

I have an assumption that it may be related to my RFL pipes and having not adjusted my TPS after the new pipe install, but I don't really think that is the problem. It acts more like it is some kind of speed sensor saftey kill switch or something...

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
Re: Stall on Downshift
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »

More info please

- idle rpm
- year of bike
- Carb or EFI
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

jrose

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »

Sure... i'm not completely sure what the idle rpm typically is, but I know it is fairly low. The only time it ever idles at a high rpm is on initial start up, when warming.

The year is 2009 GV650SE EFI

Let me know if you need more info. I wish I could tell you the idle rpm, but I can't start the bike right now as I am having the tank painted and can't reconnect it until I get it back from the paint shop.

jrose

• Learner rider
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »

I should also clarify something else... when I say "downshifting" I actually mean "engine braking". I'm a big engine breaker! Maybe that's why my breaks last so long?!  :o Although, I may need the change that habit as I read more about the issues others are having with their clutches... ???

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »

With the EFI you should have idle speed of around 1500rpm - that's why your stalling.  

I expect your riding the bike like a hog.  The motor doesn't have the same bottom end torque of a HD and needs a few more revs otherwise it will stall out.  Remember - the motor is derived from the GT650 as will perform better it you keep the motor up in the higher rev ranges.  

BTW - nothing wrong with using engine braking - just let the motor rev more.  

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

jrose

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »

We'll give it a shot. I rev it pretty good when downshifting wether I'm letting the clutch out and engine breaking or not. Somtimes, just to get the gear to fall into place. It could be like you said though. So, hopefully here soon I'll have it back on the road and we'll find out. I do know that I probably up shift too soon and vice versa as I'm more used to riding bikes with lower rev limits.

What is the rev limit on these... isn't like 11 or 12k?

I know mine sounds better in the low end of the rpms with the RFL pipe. When I get into the upper spectrum it starts to sound like a crotch rocket again.  :-X

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »

Power is between 5000 and 9000 rpm.  The motor doesn't really like lugging right down to 1500.  Try running at around 2000rpm in slow traffic. 

As you have non stock pipes on the bike they may be affecting the performance.  Do they have the lamda sensor installed.   
Jerry Garcia

hotdiggerty

• Grinding the pipes
  • red is faster.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »

Power is between 5000 and 9000 rpm.  The motor doesn't really like lugging right down to 1500.  Try running at around 2000rpm in slow traffic. 

As you have non stock pipes on the bike they may be affecting the performance.  Do they have the lamda sensor installed.   

;)good point mick, need to get that checked JR.may pay to alter your gearing to suit your riding style too. ;)
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT BECOMES ILLEGAL !

08 gt650-s  stock- 13500ks 25/2/11

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »

Power is between 5000 and 9000 rpm.  The motor doesn't really like lugging right down to 1500.  Try running at around 2000rpm in slow traffic.  

As you have non stock pipes on the bike they may be affecting the performance.  Do they have the lamda sensor installed.    

;)good point mick, need to get that checked JR.may pay to alter your gearing to suit your riding style too. ;)

Difficult - belt drive you see ;)
Jerry Garcia

hotdiggerty

• Grinding the pipes
  • red is faster.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »

Power is between 5000 and 9000 rpm.  The motor doesn't really like lugging right down to 1500.  Try running at around 2000rpm in slow traffic.  

As you have non stock pipes on the bike they may be affecting the performance.  Do they have the lamda sensor installed.    

;)good point mick, need to get that checked JR.may pay to alter your gearing to suit your riding style too. ;)/quote]
Difficult - belt drive you see ;)/quote] ;) GIDDAY LAD, YEH DIFFICULT BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE, wack up a coupla pulleys,bingo,bobs yer uncle martha.simple really. :D :D :D

DO IT NOW BEFORE IT BECOMES ILLEGAL !

08 gt650-s  stock- 13500ks 25/2/11

Pages: [1] 2