• September 25, 2017, 04:08:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Charging system upgrade _ UPDATED June 29 2011  (Read 10101 times)

krakum1967

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
  • Dyslexics of the World....UNTIE!
Charging system upgrade _ UPDATED June 29 2011
« on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »

Well, the new UM has a weak charging system.  It left me stranded after a ride, and dropped the brand new batteries voltage to 11 volts.

I ordered a EX250 stator which fits the measurement standards for our flywheel.  I will be installing a new MOSFET type FH012AA Shindengen RR and rewiring the DC circuit to the battery and ground.

My starter is also cooked.  Seems that the PO torqued on the lead bolt and caused a short to ground in the starter casing.

I will be taking lots of pics.  There are several guides on our friends over at ACD's FAQ section, so I will be using these as guides.

Also have new pegs, and a shield coming in.  The parts are ordered and en route, so I will be tearing down today.  I am reserving 4 replies for added pictures.

Wish me luck!

Update, today I got the side covers off, the solenoid removed, the starter removed, the tank is off, I removed the air-box, and learned a lesson on tool quality.  Went down to NAPA today and bought an impact grade 8mm 6 point socket today.  I was able to remove a stuck starter bolt using the impact wrench using this ratchet. This saved me from loading the bike up to take it to the local machine shop.

I will be pulling the stator, and drive pulley cover tomorrow, and get the old stator.  I removed the RR and inspected the wiring.  Think I got lucky.  I had a new copper starter lead built today too.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:58:28 AM by krakum1967 »
2007 United Motors V2C-650T AE

1981 Suzuki GS750EX - Rat Bastard

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

krakum1967

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
Re: Charging system upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »

Well, I have installed a Fh012AA MOSFET Rectifier Regulator.  I also removed my old poorly wound non-coated Stator, and replaced it with one from a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250R courtesy of Flea Bay.

The kit I used for the RR is available at www.roadstercycle.com.  He provides a kit that includes all wiring and connectors.  He includes a 30 amp fuse and fuse connector, and even throws in the Heat Shrink.  It is designed to be very waterproof, and believe me once those connectors are on, they stay on.

I have the wiring ran to the battery, and I am working on finishing up the stator installation over tomorrow, and the next day.  I have it all wired up, and soldered.  I also have the RR mounted to the frame.  This model does mount on the Hyosung RR mounts, but it is large.  I may have to do some Dremel tooling on the LH Air Scoop, but we will see.

I fried the starter too.  My own dumb fault as I got too hyper with the 10mm and spun the terminal without a backing wrench, so I am sure it shorted the starter out.  Putting in the new RR, new main RR Power Circuit as per kit recommendation, the new stator, and a new solenoid as I am sure I fried my new one in the low voltage issue with the starter.

By the way the kit is all ten gauge wiring, and is the Full Shindengen Model MOSFET regulator rectifier.

I will have pics and updates tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:02:16 AM by krakum1967 »

krakum1967

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »

Okay, so I replaced the starter with one I got from a store called Power Sports Nation on Flea Bay, 80 bucks delivered.  The old one was definitely shot.  I had continuity from the positive post to the starter body, not a good thing.  This explains the sudden and huge voltage drop.

So, I installed the new stator onto the cover last night.  The Ninja 250 R (mine was off a 1996 model) is the correct diameter, and the bolt patterns match right up.  The stator is thinner then the stock Hyosung stator, so I had to trim the mounting bolts by 7 or 8 mm.  They were too long and I did not want to damage the cover by torquing through it.  I de-soldered the connections from the stock stator to use the stock wiring harness, and solder spliced that harness onto the the new stator. 

I cut the wires on the new stator at about three inches from the stator, and did my splicing there.  I was able to pull the stator wires through the rubber grommet so I could use the stock wiring covers for the Hyosung Stator and make sure I had enough room for the heat shrink.  I fed the wires back through the grommet and the long wire shroud running the wires along with the ignition pickup wires.  Once I was done with that, I assembled the connector for the new MOSFET AC connector, and soldered the leads onto the connector pieces as instructed in the kit. 

Once I finished with this, I mounted the stator to the cover using the shortened bolts and blue loctite.  I than attached the ignition pickup onto the cover and used loctite on the pickup screws.  DO not want those bolts coming off in the motor.  I than traced out a new gasket on rubberized cork gasket material using the cover for the outline.  I used the remnants of the old gasket to match up and trace out the internal holes of that gasket.  I used a drill bit to punch the bolt holes in the gasket.  I matched the new gasket to the cover, and glued it onto the cover with black gasket material.  It sat overnight due to a bad storm that rolled through, but I use the soft compound so I can do that.

I mounted the starter this morning, and the stator cover this afternoon.  I plugged in all connectors, hooked up all electrical leads to the start and relay, and hooked up the battery making sure to hook up the new heavy gauge power wires from the regulator to the battery.

I made sure everything was torqued to manual specs, and added about 1/4 of a liter of oil to make up for the oil that was lost when I removed the stator cover.

Put in the key, added some gas.  And she fired right up.  The new starter works great.  The RR rook a few seconds to load up, but once it did the lights got nice and bright, the dash got nice and bright, and the fuel gauge actually came to life rather quickly.  The throttle response is noticeably improved.  It definitely runs better than it did before the charging issue came up, and boy does it put a nice charge on the battery!

I let it cool off (in 27 degree F weather in my shop) for an hour and test fired it again.  The starter just dances over now.  And the bike fired up in two cranks on full choke in this cold weather.  I think the coils are getting correct voltage now, and I think it is helping with the spark and engine performance.

Details on this upgrade are out on ACD.  I am giving proper credit to TD (Tony) and Achie for the work they have done on this upgrade. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:19:05 AM by krakum1967 »

krakum1967

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »

I have to do a slight mod to the LH Air scoop cover.

The regulator is much larger and will not fit under the cover without some cutting, not a problem, and I may relocate the RR.

NOTE, if you are having issues at all with your charging system, do this upgrade.  The bike is running so much better.  At idle, I get 13.8 volts off the battery.  At 2500 RPM I am getting 14.4 Volts off the battery.  Others who have done this upgrade state this upgrade allows them to mount horns, extra lights, and other electrical components with no effect on the battery or the charging system.  The MOSFET FH012AA RR provides a lot more juice and amperage to work with.

One other note.  The old stock RR used to get hotter than Haiti during operation.  I let the bike run, and ran it through assorted RPM on the stand for 20 minutes, and the new RR is cool to the touch.  This is a much better system, believe me.

DO THIS UPGRADE< you will not be disappointed.

UPDATE  Now that the regulator is settled in, I am getting 14 to 14.2 volts on idle, and a nice 14.5 volts at 2500 to 3000 rpm.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:07:59 AM by krakum1967 »

krakum1967

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:57:49 AM »

Project is a wrap.  Successful indeed.  Starts runs and even warms up faster.  Much more heat on the plug.  Can't wait to get the LC Jet Kit.  I am going to chop the stock pipe.  I have a GFL I am going to get from a friend too.  Can't wait to get it installed.

But I am ready for the road at this point.  I am going to stop by a new (well they are actually the oldest in Fargo) upholstery shop.  I have weather rips in the seat from the extreme cold, so I am going to get the saddle Gel Lined, and fitted with a softer passenger pillion.  Going to do a red piped seat similar to the AE, I am eventually going to  paint it Satin Black, and I will Powder Coat the frame next year.

But I am ready for the driveway to drive out.  Pushing it down to the dry barn tomorrow.  After that, the road is open.

Woo Hoo!

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »

Deserves to be sticky'ed
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

krakum1967

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:00:11 AM »

Update.  I was able to get the FH012AA RR underneath the left air scoop cover.  I had to bend the RR mounting braket inwards (down) towards the mtor by almost 3 mm.  Once this was done, the RR is tilted in towards the front cylinder head slightly, and the air scoop fits right in.  The tabs were a loss.  I will replace these with black ones someday, so no big loss.  For now they are in place.

I am over 350 miles so far this week.  Every morning at 17 to 25 degree F, the bike starts, runs for 60 seconds on choke, and I can idle it right down.  it warms up within 5 minutes.  Runs out VERY FAST, and VERY WELL.  I ordered the Sigma 6 Jet kit.  Better value, and I am doing the Leroy Peal AIS removal.  Pretty straightforward stuff actually.

But it has broke in nicely, and I would ride this bike anywhere at this point.

hotdiggerty

• Grinding the pipes
  • red is faster.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:43:04 AM »

;)hi krakum, great work on these threads,very detailed and helpful. interesting outcome,seems to be the increased power and reliabilty factors,which in itself,makes for a necessary/required up-date. as in other posts,worth checking all voltage out-puts with a multi-meter  to see if they are in spec. thanx mate,cheers 8)
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT BECOMES ILLEGAL !

08 gt650-s  stock- 13500ks 25/2/11

krakum1967

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
Re: Charging system upgrade _ UPDATED June 29 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 04:04:48 AM »

UPDATE - ONLY USE the EX250 or EX500 stator from  the 2000 or later models (1992 through 2000).  Anything newer, and the staor will be TOO broad and not fit in the rotor.  Any 5 Pin Regulator off a larger machine will work, do not use ones that have 6 pins.

MOSFET are preferred by 5 pin standard ones will work, and are cheaper.  Not as durable, but they work.

krakum1967

• Global Moderator
  • Grinding the pipes
Re: Charging system upgrade _ UPDATED June 29 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:37:56 AM »

So I have heard from assorted members that the RR upgrade and Stator swap seems intimidating especially if you lack soldering skills.  The solution is at hand my electrically challenged brothers!!!!

Hey I just found the coolest sit this week, and have actually ordered product from him.  He lives in Japan so he is very close for you.  He sells Posi-lock products which allow you to make wiring changes without the need for solder.

There are posi-lock terminals and union devices, and no soldering is required, you can even step down, or use them to make splitters.

He carries the connectors for the FH012AA Rectifiers too.  Here is the site:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Posi-Lock/posi-lock.html

This takes you right to the posi-locks, but check on the home page for the assortment of products, he even makes custom harnesses.  Very cool.

Makes this upgrade possible for you without solder.  And the connectors, junctions, and terminals are AWESOME!!!!!

Check them out!!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3