• February 20, 2018, 02:56:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Throttle 'lock' for GT650?  (Read 1523 times)

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
Throttle 'lock' for GT650?
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »

Hi guys,

For long trips my right hand get quite numb and to rest it you have to speed up then clutch for like 5 seconds to get any relief. Annoying.

My question is has anyone fitted a cruise control device to their bike?

I've looked them up and the "Vista Cruise" throttle lock seems to be the best. Anyone used/fitted one before?

Also another good one is the Breakaway throttle lock, they don't make them for the Hyosung but looks like the best design I've seen before! expensive at $200 though.

Also the throttle palm rests give some relief but I'm looking for something that can let me take my hands completely off the bars.
2008 GT650RL Black/Silver
De-restricted, IXIL Oval Shorty, Black hugger, DB Screen, Fender Eliminator, LED Brakelight integrated blinkers, Flushmouts & mirror indicators, R&G Racing crash knobs, Speigler Braided lines, EBC pads, reflective silver rim tap

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Rick122

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: Throttle 'lock' for GT650?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »

Have you thought of modding a 4wd hand throttle lock? Most proper 4wd's have them, they are just a turn out or pull out knob, attached to a cable. The turn out ones unlock by pushing the knob in, the other type (Toyota mainly) you pull out the knob while the throttle is depressed and then turn it 1/4 turn to lock. To unlock you turn it back the other way. They are all one hand operation. You could make a simple bracket to position it on either handlebar and cut the cable to length after determining how much throttle is needed. You should be able to pick one up from a wreckers for a few dollars or even new they are cheap.

Or, if you want a proven product, get one of these:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/6218-21MC-0509.pdf

They are only around $40 US with postage to Aust.

Scotchbo

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:26:09 AM »

i use one of these, and you just wrest your wrist on it then stretch your hand works a treat for me and a cheap and easy fix http://www.motoimage.com.au/default/throttle-rocker-wrist-rest.html

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »

I've seen ones similar to the kuryakyn type lock. One of my mates has one on his SV but says that because of the connecting rod it flexes and doesn't hold tight when you first press it down. I've seen them made for other makes that are only located between the throttle and the switchblock, kinda what I'm looking for.

The palm rest things seem to be alright but I think it would get in the way a bit while I wasn't using it.
De-restricted, IXIL Oval Shorty, Black hugger, DB Screen, Fender Eliminator, LED Brakelight integrated blinkers, Flushmouts & mirror indicators, R&G Racing crash knobs, Speigler Braided lines, EBC pads, reflective silver rim tap

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:25:44 AM »

I've had a thought.
Has anyone put aftermarket grips on their bars? I'm betting some have. The question is do you have to grind off the locating prong things on the throttle to get them on.
If this is the case I might be able to get new grips and grind down the plastic to use the throttle lock I want.
Has anyone pulled the throttle apart? can you order just the throttle tube or something?
Anyone think I'm on the right track

chainmeup

• Chain Me Up
  • Training Wheels
    • Chain Me Up
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »

Hi Vogstar

I have an after market throttle lock that I bought from the "motor cycle accessories" shop in Nerang Queensland. The owner is Brett and very helpful. http://motorcycleaccessoriesshop.com.au/

I don't remember the brand but is was about $65 or so. It mounts on the handlebar between the kill switch block and the brake fluid reservoir. An arm links back to the ring that mounts on the throttle grip and there is a lever that turns it off and on.

They are excellent for highway riding and its easy to change the throttle position with it turned on.

Push the thumb switch down to lock on and flick it up with your thumb to release. I love mine  :)

photo here (how can I insert a photo????)

http://www.chainmeup.com.au/images/dscf1417.jpg

Cheers

Ross

Dyrt_shadow

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »

Yeah I seen these but my mates have had some troubles with them. They have experienced that when they lock on they get a bit of slack and it drops the revs. But Not sure about how much of the grip it takes up? is it still comfortable? I just put shorty levers on so might run into trouble with that.
Has anyone put aftermarket grips on? I'm guessing you would have to have a smooth throttle outer for that, thinking I might be able to get hold of one of them and then use the other type.

chainmeup

• Chain Me Up
  • Training Wheels
    • Chain Me Up
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »

Hi Vogstar

The lock the throttle exactly where it is when you push the lever down.  If your friends get a bit of slack, they probably haven't adjusted the spring correctly. The parts that go on the throttle grip are nearly 20mm wide, but I don't find that it gets in the way, but I do have small to medium hands.

I don't know if short brake levers would be an issue as you only use 2 fingers anyway.

I used the throttle lock today on the highway and I still LOVE it. In fact it gets used most rides.

My 2 cents.

Cheers

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:27:36 AM »

Thanks for the pics and info,
I'll have to look into it

Pages: [1]