• January 19, 2019, 09:49:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: how to take apart front fork cap  (Read 1755 times)

hyosung_rider

• Training Wheels
how to take apart front fork cap
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:26 AM »

How do you remove the top fork cap from the rod to change the oil seal?  Do I need to remove the bottom 10mm hex bolt first? I loosened the top off but I can't unscrew the cap off the rod.
 I have taken the forks off the bike and loosened up the fork caps.

Also do I need to change the triple tree if I put the gt250 handle bars on (non-clip ons)?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:13:32 AM by hyosung_rider »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

commuter

• Learner rider
  • Miles of smiles
Re: how to take apart front fork cap
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to removing the cap from the rod. I have just been reading the workshop manual for the upside down forks and they are describing the use of special tools in pidgeon english which is dificult to understand without the parts in front of me. If possible, I would have a look at the manual for yourself. In UK we have the manual on our owners club website and so it is very useful to consult in instances like you have.
 Bazzabear has put convenional bars on his GT650R and I am sure that he drilled his top yoke and instaled some handlebar clamps. It does look like if you have the funds, you can just fit the GT top yoke in place of the GTR item though.
 I hope this can be of use to you,:)

hyo251

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:59:06 AM »

i did not take out the inner tube since i don't see why it was necessary when replacing the seal. to remove the very top cap, unscrew it and pull it out, it should come off. taking out the very bottom bolt won't take out the cap.

i too am replacing my fork seals and i found a way to take off the seals but i dont know how to put it back on. remove the dust seal, chain above it and slide the two pieces against each other to separate it, remove the top cap and take out the spring. there are many videos that show this. what happens though is that the fork when i use a fork driver for the seals, the fork compresses and gets shorter. i can't even put the oem seal back, i use a 41mm driver. has anyone ran into this problem?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:36:49 AM by hyo251 »

Trenchant

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »

If you are following the hyosung manual you should have the front tire off already.  loosen off the cap using the hex head ontop of the fork.  Once it is unscrewed you will be able to push the fork cylinder up.  Right below the cap you will see a machined area that you can put a wrench on.  This will prevent the internal cylinder from spinning and you can use the same hex bolt used earlier on the top of the cap to unscrew the cap from the internal cylinder.

Now that the cap is off the entire internal cylinder should slide out of the fork housing.  I would recommend doing this all with the fork completely out of the bike.

spyrius

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »

do I need to take of top fork cap to change oil seals ? I cant undo top cap with 17mm spanner and the bolts are rounded.

Pages: [1]