• June 23, 2017, 06:07:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fork Seal!!  (Read 1862 times)

hyo251

• Training Wheels
Fork Seal!!
« on: July 23, 2011, 08:41:31 AM »

I have searched the search button probably 10 times but I can't seem to find a answer to my problem. I am in quite a bad position. I bought a bunch of tools to replace my fork seals since it was leaking but ARGGGG I can't put the seal back on. When I use a fork drive, for some reason my fork compresses, is that piece even suppose to move? where the fork seal is suppose to be, the outer shell thingy, it slides inside and doesn't leave room for the seal to go in. I have already bruised my right hand from pushing it back out and its killing me!! I am so close yet so far... I tried putting the OEM seal too and that for some reason won't fit either, well it fits but it won't go down. Thanks if someone can help this poor student out.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Snowfox

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Fork Seal!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:52:55 AM »

Is the 250 USD forks?

Give this a squizz.

SmartGuard Immobiliser.
Kaneg Sliders (nocut).
Spools.

hyo251

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »

yes that was the one i was looking at when i tried to fix mine. what happens is that when i hit it down, the golden piece is basically two pieces where the piece for the seal to go in shifts downwards when i hit it too hard leaving no space for it to fit. i am probably considering buying a vice but i dont know if anyone else had this problem.

Snowfox

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »

Care to take some pics?
From what i can understand the golden (outer) tube has two pieces other then the silver/alloy leg?

I've never fiddled with USD forks, but they couldnt be any different could they?

EDIT: http://www.scribd.com/doc/16066620/Hyosung-GT125-GT250-Workshop-Manual#

Upon reading this, have you replaced the following:
When reassembling, replace the slide metals, oil seal, dust seal and damper rod bolt gasket with new ones

Pg 147.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:12:46 AM by Snowfox »
SmartGuard Immobiliser.
Kaneg Sliders (nocut).
Spools.

Trenchant

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 05:21:01 AM »

Put the fork tube in a vise.  Be sure that the end cup(the casing that you slide the seal into) is where you want it on the fork tube.  When you put the whole fork tube in the vise position it so that the cup will run into the vise when you hammer on it.

So essentially the fork tube will be in the vise and the end of the cup(opposite to where the seal goes in) will be against the jaws of the vice.  This will allow you to pound the seal in with the appropriate tool.

hyosung_rider

• Training Wheels
makeshift Fork Seal driver
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »

This will allow you to pound the seal in with the appropriate tool.

I am at the point where the new seal needs to put be pushed back into the golden tube.

Any idea on what I could use if I don't have a fork seal driver? I was thinking about using the old seal but its too hard to cut in half.

Solution:
Home depot has 2" pvc pipe, buy the pipe cut down middle and use plumbing tape to make your own size.

Example below.
http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_fork_oil/pics/?image=352_5205.JPG
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:35:46 AM by hyosung_rider »

Pages: [1]