• July 19, 2018, 08:24:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Piece of sh!t Hyodung!  (Read 2049 times)

muppit

• Scraping the pegs
Piece of sh!t Hyodung!
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »

Nah not really :) But it's being a pain in the arse! Basicly , i have a new-ish battery. Its about 4 months old and has gone flat about 4 times. Twice because of an secondary siren i fitted , but that's gone now. Once down to it being cranked for ages because of an air lock in the fuel system. The forth time was last night. 3am , freezing cold in the pouring rain in a gravel car park. (You can Imagen how fed up i was bump starting it)

The bike: Heated grips (With an isolator switch so it can't drain the battery)
              HID headlights (No issues with them)
              Alarm (Not armed at the time , and causes so little drain it wouldn't make any difference anyway)

At first i thought perhaps my charging system was weak , but it sat on my optimiser and was fully charged prior to riding. Bike sat for about 8 hours in the carpark.

I've run some basic tests with a multi meter at home. Engine off: 12.6v
                                                                        Idle:14.3v (stays the same give or take .2v if revved)
                                                                        Cranking 10.8v

As far as im aware , that looks like the charging system is working normally?

All i can put it down to is the battery natural discharging due to being damaged by being discharged fully four times, or refusing to hold a proper charge.

I'm going to fit some extra 6gauge grounds soon , to help with any poor grounding that i may have. (Although it all seems fine)

Gimme some input :)

Muppit
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:43:28 PM by muppit »
Ride it like you stole it!

MTC Tri-Oval S/S Exhaust
De-Cat
C.D.I Mod
EBC HH Brake Pads
D.I.D Racing Chain
Carbon Steel Sprokets
LED Running Light
Dynotune LED F/E
6000K H.I.D's
Blacked Out Headlight
Stebel Horns
R&G H/Grips

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

kaki

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: Piece of sh!t Hyodung!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »

hi muppit,
sorry yr hyo is misbehaving :-)
i'll try and put my bit in to help...
charging system seems ok BUT..
if the battery however new has been to d bottom four times it is probably not keeping charge..
u might have noticed it seems to charge fully in a very short time
i would... get a new battery and since u seem to know how to use a multimeter...
with the bike switched off other than any `enhancements` u hv installed place the multimeter in AMPS mode and connect it in series  with the battery (if its a digital meter it wont matter which terminal u use) and check what if any drain is taking place..on a stock bike that should b zero but in your case there might be some reading..
if this is more than a few milliamps there is something installed wrong or shorting and the new battery wont last much !!!
hope this is of some help and good luck :-)

muppit

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »

Now you mention it , it does charge up within a few hours on my optimiser. But it does state within the manual 'Can take between 24-48 hours to recover a fully discharged battery' This leads me to think the battery is to blame. I shall check the draw on my heated grips and such and see what's what.

Muppit

MTC Tri-Oval S/S Exhaust
De-Cat
C.D.I Mod
EBC HH Brake Pads
D.I.D Racing Chain
Carbon Steel Sprokets
LED Running Light
Dynotune LED F/E
6000K H.I.D's
Blacked Out Headlight
Stebel Horns
R&G H/Grips

kaki

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »

are the grips powered when the bike is parked ? m sorry i ask but no battery will last
more than a few hours with any sort of heating element on :-)

u might try fully charging the battery and do the drain test before u get a new batt..
not just the grips though...i would put the bike in your usual 'parked' state and take the drain at the battery
terminal coz then u know if anything is wrong with the wiring with all those electrical addons u put in !!

muppit

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »

The heated grips are connected directly to the battery , via a fused line. The grips have there own controller/switch, but i found that still used to drain the battery over a few days. So i fitted an  in-line isolator switch on the dash to kill any power going to the grips or there controller. And that solved the problem :) HID's use a relay off the standard wiring loom to switch a separate fused loom i put in for them, so they can only be turned on with the bike running , and the dipped beam turned on. So there not at fault either (in theory)

Muppit

MTC Tri-Oval S/S Exhaust
De-Cat
C.D.I Mod
EBC HH Brake Pads
D.I.D Racing Chain
Carbon Steel Sprokets
LED Running Light
Dynotune LED F/E
6000K H.I.D's
Blacked Out Headlight
Stebel Horns
R&G H/Grips

Snowfox

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »

Yeah sounds like the battery has carked it.

Did you charge it from brandnew?
SmartGuard Immobiliser.
Kaneg Sliders (nocut).
Spools.

muppit

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:25 AM »

Yeah , was fully charged before i installed it. By a propper bike battery charger.

Muppit

MTC Tri-Oval S/S Exhaust
De-Cat
C.D.I Mod
EBC HH Brake Pads
D.I.D Racing Chain
Carbon Steel Sprokets
LED Running Light
Dynotune LED F/E
6000K H.I.D's
Blacked Out Headlight
Stebel Horns
R&G H/Grips

darren79

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »

I found the alarm drained my battery, so 1 removed it all together....I also think the capacity of the battery is just to low,for the charging system,and the drain from lights and accessories- I rode around for a few weeks with a voltmeter, and a lot of the time while stationary in traffic, with lights on, the voltage dropped to 10, sometimes 9 volts .... so the battery was as good as flat, even with the engine running .... low voltage and going flat causes sulphonation so eventually that battery failed completely. The new battery holds just over 12 volts idling with the lights on - Still not ideal, so I connect a conditioning charger (Battery Fighter) if I know the bike is going to be ridden for a while.
GV250 2006......more accessories than that photo!

muppit

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »

OK , so I've done some tests today.

Draw on stock bike loom when bike is OFF 0.00A

Draw on HID loom when bike is OFF 0.00A
Draw on HID loom when bike is ON is 6.50A and 5.02 once settled and up to full brightness.

Draw on Heated Grips loom when bike is OFF 0.00A
Draw on Heated Grips loom when bike is ON 2.91A

Draw on alarm when in 'unarmed' mode is 0.01A    And 0.02A when the proximity is breached. (Sensor has an LED and fires a trigger regardless of if the alarm is armed or not)

Alarm armed 0.01V

Alarm trigged 2.10 - 3.23A (Fluctuates because of indicators flashing , and siren tone )

The ONLY thing that is drawing any kind of current while the bike is off is the alarm. But 0.01A?! No way is that draining it! Not in 8 hours anyway.

Should also note: By the time my HID's got to full power , shortly after they started flicking. (As the do when the voltage is too low, so it had killed the battery in just doing that)

Muppit

MTC Tri-Oval S/S Exhaust
De-Cat
C.D.I Mod
EBC HH Brake Pads
D.I.D Racing Chain
Carbon Steel Sprokets
LED Running Light
Dynotune LED F/E
6000K H.I.D's
Blacked Out Headlight
Stebel Horns
R&G H/Grips

kaki

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »

hi muppit :-)

i hv tried to do some research...apparently the stock generator/rectifier setup in an
average (i couldnt find hyosung details) leaves us with 100 - 150 watts of excess power
and even this varies with rpm ie., at 1000 u wld get 100 while at 6000 u might get the peak..
if yr bike is EFI it needs even more and if the fuel filter is at all even slightly blocking flow it will
chop off an EXTRA 50watts to keep going...
yr heated grips are 3amp = 3x14v = 42 watts, hids are say 6x14v=84watts thats up to 126 watts which
assuming all yr electrics are in optimum condition u need to drive the thing at over 6k rpm to leave
anything to charge the battery....imho the battery is getting drained not whn the bike is stopped but when its on d road :-) whn stopped there is no charge and it just gives its last breath !!
since u said there is no drain whn stopped that is definitely not a problem so i disregarded the alarm..is the
battery is charged properly on the road the 100ma its taking should last 80 hrs or more..
and the longer the ride in yr case the battery wont get better it will get more exhausted !!
ps..excess electrical power is what we are left with after taking what the bike needs for computer,fuel pump,
fan if water cooled from the max wattage of the generator/rectifier.

Pages: [1] 2 3