• December 17, 2017, 10:32:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Little silver pill tofix the Hyo rear brake cylinder.  (Read 11142 times)

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
Re: Little silver pill tofix the Hyo rear brake cylinder.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 12:11:21 PM »

Probably.  How would you put it together

PDF documents, Wiki or forum thread.

Send me an email
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

chrissmallwood

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:47:10 AM »

So I decided to look at the whole cylinder and decided that the poor part is the spring. Its just plain not strong enough. Further thought on the matter had me decide to find a spring that I could fit inside the existing spring.  I sourced one at the local hardware.
Its a CSC C612. ( I tried the C614 but it was a tad too strong so i backed it off to a C612 ). The great thing is that this spring can be fitted merely by removing the top banjo bolt, dropping the spring in then reattaching the banjo and bleeding the banjo.

Voila its great now. Didn't even need to clean it! or pull it off the bike.

What length of spring did you use and did you put this in place of the old one or does in it go in alongside the old one?

HyoFuelNazi

• Grinding the pipes
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:53:12 AM by HyoFuelNazi »

chrissmallwood

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 01:01:53 AM »

Its a century spring co. C612. Google it I've lost the packet.

It just slips inside the existing spring.

http://www.centuryspring.com/Products/compression.php

http://www.mayohardware.com.au/products/catalogues/cs/2011/CenturySpringf_FullCat_Nov10_web.pdf

http://www.doitbest.com/Door+springs-Century+Spring+Corp-model-C-612-doitbest-sku-749293.dib

Thank you very much. I wasnt sure if that was the universal nam and pn or specific to a certain store. I didnt want to go to the hardware and look like an idiot asking for a spring. LOL

No need to trim the spring, correct?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:03:55 AM by chrissmallwood »

HyoFuelNazi

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »

No, no trim needed, the preload is just perfect ( for the C612 ) when that full length is compressed under the re-fitted banjo bolt.

chrissmallwood

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:30:36 AM »

Thanks alot. Ive got a Do-It-Best hardware store down the street from me. Ill go check it out tommorow and see if they have anything.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »

And so you know how you just wander around Bunnings just to find something to do, right?

Well, here is what I saw, over near all the stainless steel hex bolts I am always finding 'reasons' to buy..

Voila! Something to do!! yay!

So anyway, I happened to have near me a set of spanners handy and a pair of blunt nose pliers..

Anyway, the brake fluid in the rear was old.. so I figured, I would put the pliers to good use..

Ohh and by the way.. Brake fluid + painted surfaces = bad, ummkay?

In goes the silver pill..

Don't over tighten, because you will need to bleed the air from that banjo bolt..

A particularly bad video of how to bleed air from a banjo bolt:

You will need a new, sealed container of brake fluid. The bleeding process will require you to use about a third of this size of bottle.

Once you have bled the banjo bolt, you will also need to bleed the rear caliper, from it's bleeder nipple.

You will need to do this A LOT.

I am not here to debate the pros and cons of the various vacuum bleeding/plumbers tape bleeding methods. The whole pump, pump, squeeze, twist, close, repeat method works fine for me.. The trick is to close the nipple off BEFORE the pedal drops to the bottom.

DBM
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 01:29:59 AM »

good thing you bumped this and updated it, there have been a lot of new threads about rear calipers. Worked a treat for me and still going strong.
I've got a vacuum bleeder (Mityvac) and it works a treat cuts down on time and wastage. I always finish with the pedal and release method though
2008 GT650RL Black/Silver
De-restricted, IXIL Oval Shorty, Black hugger, DB Screen, Fender Eliminator, LED Brakelight integrated blinkers, Flushmouts & mirror indicators, R&G Racing crash knobs, Speigler Braided lines, EBC pads, reflective silver rim tap

HyoFuelNazi

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »

You will need a new, sealed container of brake fluid. The bleeding process will require you to use about a third of this size of bottle.

Crikey! I used about a third of a cap of that sized bottle!!?? You must have done a full flush as well?

Great picks by the way, how easy a fix is it ...... mines still going great. Never a problem like with the single spring.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »

Yeah, I did a full flush of the rear brake system. All the old fluid was drained and fresh fluid added

That's why I used such a large amount..

DBM
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7