• January 19, 2019, 09:09:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: EBC kevlar clutch kit  (Read 8258 times)

600sfx

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
EBC kevlar clutch kit
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »

Installed the newly-arrived EBC kevlar clutch this morning - very pleased. It has cured my dragging issue completely -I guess the old plates must have been a little warped, though I couldn't see anything wrong with them.

Slipping still occured on the first test run, but that seems to have been a matter of cable adjustment rather than any inherent clutch problem.  Now appears sorted.

End result is - I can put it into neutral easily, even when it's hot, and there is no earth-shattering "thunk" anymore on selecting first gear.  It's like riding a new bike.  Gears as smooth as silk.

Bit annoyed at having to fork out an extra 31 on VAT/customs duty though.  I got the clutch kit (all new plates and springs) from Whygostock in the USA, but the package was stopped at the UK border agency and consequently I had to pay extra when I picked it up from the depot.  So all in it cost me 144. But it was worth it.

Incidentally, EBC has a UK base but when I tried to order it from them, they were unable to find the part number (in fact no Hyosungs were listed) so I was forced to get it from the USA.  Ridiculous!  So when the package arrived, I checked the box for any serial number so that next time I could quote it - and guess what?  There is absolutely no identifying part number on the box!  So if I ever need to replace it,I'll still have to get it from the USA.  How stupid is that?
2008 GT650R EFI

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

GTRedline

• Mechanical Maniac
  • Learner rider
  • A Constant Work in Progress
Re: EBC kevlar clutch kit
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:03:54 AM »

Thank you for the feedback. This makes me scratch my head a bit as I too have the dragging feeling. Makes sense to me that warped discs could be the issue. I wouldnt doubt with the quality of HYO parts that dropping the clutch a few times would do that.

Thumbs up
2006 Red GT650R           Solid Black D/B Skidmarx Screen
Polished RS-3 Yoshi Pipe  Chrome2Black Headlight Mod
Black Indicator Mirrors      3K HIDs Low/High
Gold Rearsets                 Gold Windscreen bolts
Gold Chain                     Gold Levers

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:48:36 AM »

gah!

Tell me you tooks pics and videos of the whole process or I will have to find you and hurt you.  :-[

DBM

P.S. kidding yeah? please don't have me arrested..
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

600sfx

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »

DBM: Sorry mate, it just never occured to me.  On reflection, I probably wouldn't have taken pictures anyway because I wasn't really certain of what I was doing, so I wouldn't have wanted to broadcast my incompetence to the world.

Now that I know it turned out right, I wish I had recorded the process - catch 22.

Next time I will definitely record it, and if anyone has any questions I more tha happy to explain the process.
2008 GT650R EFI

MPBikerGuy

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »

Was thinking about installing the kit myself. Just one question. Did you have to use the.EBC clutch tool that is offered for the kit or just a regular clutch tool?
"Live everday as if it is your last, 'cause one of these days it will be." -Jeremy Schwartz

600sfx

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »

No clutch tool is required.  This tool is only needed if you want to take out the clutch basket itself (the tool holds the basket while you undo the retaining nut) though it is not absolutely necessary even then - if you put the bike in gear and have a mate sit on the bike and keep his foot on the brake then the tool is redundant.

To change the plates and springs, all you need is a good quality socket set:

1. Drain the oil
2. Undo the clutch inspection cover (not the full side cover - there is no need)  This is where you need the good quality socket set - don't risk rounding off the bolt heads, make sure the socket fits nice and snug before applying pressure. 
See http://korider.com/index.php?topic=19520.msg183862#msg183862 on changing the front sprocket for details of how I know this. 
Also the bolt heads are not metric.  You'd think they are, but no.  They are imperial and I bought a 6-point 5/16ths Snap-On socket specially for the bike at huge personal cost (about 4).
3. Undo the spring retaining nuts and remove springs
4. Carefully slide out the thrust plate, leaving the central spindle in place
5. Using 2 flat blade screwdrivers, or something similar, gently ease out the clutch plates - noting the order, and that the outer plate is very slightly different to the others (a bit thicker)
6. Put the new ones in and reverse all points 1-5 above.  When replacing the clutch inspection cover, check the O ring - they are re-usable but sometimes get 'nipped' or damaged and need replacing.  Also, it's a good idea to clean the plate edge and O ring with a soft cloth to remove any unwanted detritus, then just wipe a bit of clean oil around the O ring before fixing the plate back in place.

Note - it is generally accepted practice that the new plates should be dipped in oil first.  In times of yore, legend had it that the plates should be soaked in oil for 24 hours, though no-one has ever satisfactorily explained why.  Currently, the fashion is to just soak them for 15 minutes or so.  I didn't bother.  As a token gesture, I literally dipped them into the oil tray from point 1 then put them straight in.  (the oil was relatively clean and new so I re-used it - had it been old and dirty I would have dipped them in fresh oil, obviously).  It worked fine.

If anyone knows why I should have soaked the plates, please enlighten me - I can see that putting dry plates in would be undesirable, though as it's a wet cluch, they would pretty soon be oil-soaked anyway, but I see no logic to the soaking thing.

Oh and don't forget to adjust the clutch cable when you finish as the new plates will have a slightly different bite point (you hope!)

Anyway, there you go, a piece of cake.

2008 GT650R EFI

MPBikerGuy

• Learner rider
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:36 AM »

Thanks for the info. I will try and tackle the job in the coming weeks and upload photos of the process.
"Live everday as if it is your last, 'cause one of these days it will be." -Jeremy Schwartz

ProAktion

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 03:11:40 AM »

where did you buy the kevlar kit? whygostock.com??
LED Undertail Kit
HID Headlight Kit
AIS Kit
Modded exhaust can
Rear Wheel & Tire Mod
Front wheel & rotors
Jetted over a Jet Kit
Modded air filter
Iridium Plugs
Billet Triple Tree
XRT levers
---On The To Do List---
Exhaust mod, Velocity Stacks

600sfx

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »

2008 GT650R EFI

MPBikerGuy

• Learner rider
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »

Yea. That is where I get a majority of my parts for the Hyo. Epfguzzi is the other one I use. Undertail kit from Mototek.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6