• January 19, 2018, 10:18:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We trusted the hyos for a long road trip and they did not disappoint us.  (Read 955 times)

TwisteR

Was just doing some calculations and figured out that 1700 miles cost me $94. Roughly 24 gallons, which means that I got about 70mpg on the trip. 

This is with the danmoto, BMC filter and a 15t sprocket. We were running over 8k rpm the whole way doing a min of 80-90mph and I also topped out at 105 once or twice. 

Respect the hyo guys. She can deal with anything you throw at it. Including running up mountains to a height of about 5k feet without a single hesitation. 

Truth is, I didn't think the Hyos would do the trip without some problems. All the little issues that caught us off guard were things like a bald tire or a chain ready to be changed. Mechanically they started up every morning with out as much as a second push of the starter and off we rode. 

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

WestSiide

• Regular rider

That's great to know, thanks for sharing.  I ride my bike everyday to work. Been doing it for almost a year now.  At first it made me a little uncomfortable getting in the 80+ MPH speeds because of how high the rpms would get. These engines are built tougher than most of us think, it seems. Now I dont really mind doing longer highway trips if I want to.

I also average about 70mpg's. I usually fill up after 200-210 miles just to keep it on the safe side, and when I do I usually fit about 3 gallons in there, meaning there was still about a gallon in the tank that could have probably taken me closer to 300miles. I don't like cutting it too close.  Better to be safe than stranded.

serp

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Serp's world

In 09 I took the baby GT for an 8,000 mile road trip around the country to include 3 days at better than 115*f and a 40 mile long sand storm out in California and it never missed a beat.
I can't slow down, the Langoliers will get me.

jererx7

• Training Wheels

Just checked my mileage today: 76.8 mpg.

Thats just short trippin to work and back. Taking it on a long trip this weekend, we'll see how it does.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:49:21 PM by jererx7 »

hartleracing

• Goodbye chickenstrips!

i was with twister on this trip. my bike was running 8-9k the entire way as well clocking 2116miles round trip and never missed a beat either. plenty of times we dragged both our bikes all the way too 10k on the odometer and the bike never hesitiated to continue pulling. i would never hesitate myself to take the bike on another long distance trip and i can now stand behind these motors being nearly bulletproof! got over 8k on the odometer total now and ill be taking it in for its first EVER service this week..

Ansan2000

• Learner rider

I just did 600km over the last two days along the East Coast of Korea and have to concur with what everyone else has already said. I keep on underestimating this little 250 and she keeps on proving me wrong. Did a lot of highway cruising around 120km/hour and 7K RPM, and had no problem passing all of the cars (speed limit here is 80km/hour max). I'm now looking to fit a windshield next week to keep from getting blasted by all the wind.

This is my first time riding a V-twin, so it has taken me a while to appreciate revving into the higher RPM's. My previous bikes were a BMW and Harley, and I always kept the RPMs pretty low before upshifting. After about 3,000 kms of riding the GT250, I now realize that it's OK to play around in the 7-10K RPM range without destroying the engine. I was worried that I was going to quickly outgrow this bike, but that was before I discovered all of the extra power starting at 8K RPM. I normally like to cruise around 4,000 RPM to save gas and have a smoother ride, but it's nice to know all of that extra power is available when you want it.  Love it!

CrazyChris

• Goodbye chickenstrips!

I totally agree with you guys. I've done around a 1500km a weekend with no problems (except for the ones that came with the bike). Motor does scream a bit at 120km/h 9000rpm though. As far as I know its running original sprocket sizes. Will make sure this weekend though. Bulletproof motors if treated with respect. A lot of power for a 250 if you think the amount of weight I lugs around including my 6 foot 100kg frame.
I only ride as fast as my guardian angel can fly and she is damn fast

kkbong

• Training Wheels

Was just doing some calculations and figured out that 1700 miles cost me $94. Roughly 24 gallons, which means that I got about 70mpg on the trip. 

This is with the danmoto, BMC filter and a 15t sprocket. We were running over 8k rpm the whole way doing a min of 80-90mph and I also topped out at 105 once or twice. 

Respect the hyo guys. She can deal with anything you throw at it. Including running up mountains to a height of about 5k feet without a single hesitation. 

Truth is, I didn't think the Hyos would do the trip without some problems. All the little issues that caught us off guard were things like a bald tire or a chain ready to be changed. Mechanically they started up every morning with out as much as a second push of the starter and off we rode. 

This MPG is nice. may i know your bike is 650 or 250 ? It will be real good if 650.

TwisteR

We are on the GT250 sub forum...  ::) 

I have a 2010 GT250R EFI with some mods and a 15t. 
We had a 650 with us on the trip... 

The 650 over heated right before me and sharpy met in NYC to ride to the gap. The 650 also stalled after a 2-3k foot climb up the  Cherohala Skyway and would choke unless you revved past the 3k rpm. We thought we were going to tow it back... 

The 250s had 1/4-1/3 tank left whenever the 650 had to refill.

Suka

• Goodbye chickenstrips!

Awesome!

I just did my first "long distance" highway run, and i am both impressed and a bit bummed.

She did really well cruising 200km's both ways to the shop were i had to buy spare parts.

Cruising at 120km/h at 9k rpm no problem, besides the intense winds without a windscreen.

The disapointment came when the bike felt like it just cut out on me, almost as if i ran out of petrol (sudden loss of power)
and no matter if i pull on the accelerator, nothing would happen.

I pulled over and the bike switched off by itself. I put her in neutral, and she struggled to start at first, but then back to normal and she was running fine again. (This happened again 10 minutes later, but the return trip was fine, no problems.)

I remember reading someone had this issue, so will need to find it and try sort it out....

I'm really happy these engines are reliable if taken care of properly.

:)

Pages: [1] 2