• September 21, 2018, 01:18:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My First Track Day  (Read 1780 times)

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
My First Track Day
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »

Hi Guys,

On the weekend 07/10/2012 I attended my first track day at Broadford Raceway, Vic, Australia run by champions ride days.

Bottom line is.. I HAD THE BEST TIME EVER! I think I may be addicted now as I want to go again and go to other tracks!

The Hyo done well at the track and ate up a few ZX6R's  ;D

I got the tuition school for the day from a bloke that had raced Australian Superbikes, World Superbikes, Isle of Man TT, Raced in some American series and coached at Californian Superbike School in america and Australia.. He knew his shit!
He said that I took everything in he taught and that It's the quickest he's seen a Hyo go around a track and looked like I'd been doing track days for years, and that I was close to the limit of how fast one could go.
He gave great advise on and off the track about all aspects of riding, best money I've ever spent.

Got some Dunlop Q2's on the bike at the moment and had them balled up heaps, was so proud  :D

I'll check soon how much fuel I used just as a comparison to normal riding also for those that are interested!

I'll post a couple of pictures up hopefully soon of my tyres, outfit  :P, and some on-track action from a professional photographer.

Anyone that is contemplating doing a track day... JUST GET OUT THERE AND DO IT! you won't be dissapointed.

Cheers,

Matt
2008 GT650RL Black/Silver
De-restricted, IXIL Oval Shorty, Black hugger, DB Screen, Fender Eliminator, LED Brakelight integrated blinkers, Flushmouts & mirror indicators, R&G Racing crash knobs, Speigler Braided lines, EBC pads, reflective silver rim tap

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

hornet_sv

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Road Racing SA
Re: My First Track Day
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:32:39 AM »

Hey Matt,

They are very very addictive! After doing one, I sold my road bike and bought a race bike!

I agree everyone should hit the track, the Hyo's handle it very well! Look at upgrading your suspension to Race Tech items for an even more planted bike.

I'll put up some pics and video of my two race meetings in the last fortnight too.

And the almighty Hyosung is the Australian Formula Xtreme 400 champion this year :D
www.roadracingsa.com -South Australian Road Racing Community

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:24:28 AM »

I agree everyone should hit the track, the Hyo's handle it very well! Look at upgrading your suspension to Race Tech items for an even more planted bike.

Yeah mate was going to go down that route but I'm sad to say I will be moving on from a Hyosung shortly. Little bit over it and want something with more power and good handling for the same price. It's treated me well over a few years but time to move on. specially now I've hit the track, lol.
De-restricted, IXIL Oval Shorty, Black hugger, DB Screen, Fender Eliminator, LED Brakelight integrated blinkers, Flushmouts & mirror indicators, R&G Racing crash knobs, Speigler Braided lines, EBC pads, reflective silver rim tap

GT650racer

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:00:48 AM »

Hey Matt,

Glad you enjoyed the day.

If I was you I would keep the Hyo for a track day bike, I know the thought of more power is intoxicating but believe me theres every chance you'll go slower.

The Hyo's are great handeling bikes and if you got an EFI model nothing brakes better on the track, my 18 year old son has three ZX6r race bikes and he still likes to throw a leg over the Hyo just for some fun.
Next year he's getting 2 BMW S1000RR's but I know he'll still want to do track days on the Hyo as loves the fun you can have on the Hyo.

The other thing to consider is the cost of running a high powered bike, a hyo crash will set you back anywhere from $50 to $1000 max  a crash on Jap 600 $1000 to $5000 we've had 3 offs on the ZX6's this year for total bill of $12,000  I've crashed my Hyo 6 times for a total bill of $1000

Then consider the running costs, we use a set of tyres per track day + a set of brake pads the hyo usually does 3 track days per set of tyres and brake pads. I'm not saying you'll go through the same tyres and pads as my son but the principle is still the same a jap 600 will cost 3 times more on the track than a Hyo.

JulieRush

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:18:43 AM »

GT650racer just listed all the reasons I got a hyo as a track bike :)

I plan on keeping my hyo until I can out-ride it, then I'll look at something new. got a long way to go before then in terms of improving my own riding though.

I checked my brake pads on my Hyo before the last track day and the standard pads had heaps of life left in them, and the bike has done around five track days since I got it. GT you need to get some braided lines on yours too ;)

hornet_sv

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Road Racing SA
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:01:46 AM »

Crash damage is soo cheap on a Hyo.

I threw mine down the track that saw it flipping and ended up half on top of the air fence.

Cost me about $260 to repair and I was racing the next day.

Tyres.. the Pirelli super corsas on my bike have now done 3 full race weekends (6 days on the track) and I could probably get another ride day out of them.

As Julie said, I checked my brake pads and they still look to have plenty of meat left on them. Although I might swap them as they are getting a bit spongy.

And like GT said, not much will ever out brake an EFI Hyo on the track. I have managed to out break 1000cc superbikes on the track to get pas them. The only bike I couldn't out brake was a retard motard. But that thing weighed about 1/5 that of my Hyo :P

My wife is already asking what I'd get next.. I think she wants me to have a purdy race bike. If I did get a 600 I'd really like to keep my Hyo as well for the fun factor!

vogstar

• Scraping the pegs
  • Who needs 4 wheels?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:32:33 PM »

I filled up and found that I used 9.4L/100km while blasting it out at the track with 16T/44T combination.
Fair bit compared to less then 4L/100km on the open road (havn't calculated it yet from my fuel list).
So for the full 7 x 15min sessions I used 14.43L. Didn't even have to refuel when I was there!

hornet_sv

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Road Racing SA
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:57:39 AM »

Sounds about right. I top mine up to about 4 bars after every session.

I'm also running 14T/48T

mrenforcer

• Regular rider
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »

planning on doing a track day soon
ive heard once is never enough tho
like us on facebook  mrenforcer engineering
http://i.imgur.com/w5kBPqY.jpg

hornet_sv

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Road Racing SA
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 01:06:38 AM »

Wee after my it st rack day I sold my road bike and bought a race bike :D

Now I'm enjoying waving the Korean flag amongst the SVs :)

Pages: [1]