• December 18, 2017, 11:32:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fuel Relay clicking....bike won't start.  (Read 2167 times)

silverrb

• Training Wheels
Fuel Relay clicking....bike won't start.
« on: December 23, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »

Hey everyone. I bought my '10 GT650r second hand a few months ago and so far it has been great to learn on.....that is until today!!

I rode down the the beach for what i though was going to be a leisurely day splashing in the water....needless to say i never made it. While on my way down i stopped off quickly to have a drink, turned the bike off...then couldn't re-start it!

Dash lights would come on...fuel pump relay clicks like mad but you cannot hear the actual fuel pump prime.

Also there just isn't any spark...or sound of the bike trying to turn over when the ignition button is pushed...the lights on the dash dim...and the fuel pump relay starts to tick again. (I found this out after i had the bike towed home  ???)
Initially i was thinking battery...tryed to push start and also had someone offer me jumper leads to try. Still nothing....i've since had the battery charging
but still nothing. I also tested the battery with a multimeter...12.8v key off and 9v with key on. I'm unsure on what sort of voltage is needed to crank the bike...

Any help would be great?!?

Marc

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Fuel Relay clicking....bike won't start.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:58:55 AM »

Dead battery.

Probably died because of a bad reg/rec.

See charging probs sticky at the top of the gt650 section

DBM
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

pumbaa

• Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »

That clicking isn't the fuel pump relay. That is the starter relay. Your battery is dead. It will show 12v when everything is off. The fact it drops to 9v when the ignition is on shows its dead. It should only drop 0.8v with the ignition on. If you press the starter I bet the voltage drops to 7v or below. It takes about 9v to start the bike.

The next question is in regards to your charging system. How often do you ride your bike? Has the ambient temperature gone down in your region recently? What is the length of most of your trips. If you ride your bike weekly the battery should be fine unless. The temperature has gone down. The length of your trip will make a difference too. If you do a lot of short trips, the battery doesn't have much time to charge. Ideally when the bike is at idle it should be putting out 12v, and at 5000rpm around 14v. If the battery is bad the voltage will read differently due to a bad cell in it. Or if the battery is good, then your regulator may have a burned out diode. Or worse case, your stator has a burned out coil and isn't producing enough electricity. So I say start with the battery and then go from there.

DBM - if I hadn't taken a phone call and totally just wrote an essay I would have beat you. Rofl.
2012 Hyosung Comet GT650
2016 Ford Focus

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »

U snooze, u lose ;)
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

silverrb

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »

This forum rocks!! Normally if I post on other sites I just get smart arse comments and no real help.

The temperature here has recently gone up and was pretty hot today while I was riding. I try and ride at least once or twice a week. My trips are quiet short now that I think about it!

Thanks a bunch....being new to bikes I instantly started to think the worst when the bike stopped. I'll start with the battery and see how I go...hopefully that's the issue and I can back on my bike ASAP.

Marc

CurryPuff

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »

what DBM and pumbaa said above, it is your battery.

The best thing i did on my bike was change my RR to a mosfet one. but, before you do any of that, make sure you check the voltage on the stator on all 3 phases is more than 60v.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »

..and if all that sounds scary, relax. It's not.

Got a multi-meter?

DBM

silverrb

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »

I charged my battery overnight and this morning the charger was indicating full battery power, so I turn the key it made all the correct sounds...eg fuel pump priming, lights come on strong. I hit the starting and all the lights dimmed again, then a loud buzzing from one of the relays.

This has given me a little hope that it could well be just the battery!!

Yer I have a multimeter. I'm sure I've seen a full write up on here in regards to testing the stator.

I will purchase a new battery today and post up my results.

stigger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »

You need to check the reg/rec because it's rarely just the battery something tends to take it out if you replace the battery without fixing the underlying problems you'll just eat another battery.

I don't think the 2010 was fuel injected, the click isn't the fuel pump nor the buzzing a relay.

silverrb

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:03:23 AM »

My bike is fuel injected.

Update: replaced the battery today...held my breath then push the ignition...success!!! She fired up!

So it would be a good idea to check the reg/rec??

Pages: [1] 2