• September 03, 2014, 07:54:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: No Spark to Front Cylinder  (Read 271 times)

Jackflash

• Training Wheels
No Spark to Front Cylinder
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »

I borrowed my son-in-law's bike, a Hyosung GT250R, for a ride day (washed out by our ongoing rain) at the Whitsunday track 120km north of here. My '03 Honda 650 Transalp isn't quite the bike for an 1100 metre sealed track. The Hyosung hasn't been ridden since early last year, and hasn't been run for nearly as long, though I've previously ridden it on a go-kart track and it was well suited.
Yesterday, Saturday when I went to pick it up the battery was dead so I carted it home and used a car battery to crank it over. This resulted in "hydraulic lock" which I cleared by removing the plugs and cranking by hand (top gear and turn rear wheel), then winding with the starter.
I tried again with the same result, so I cleared it again and gave it away as a bad joke.
Today I looked a bit deeper, and ended up removing the carbs, cleaning them out and later this afternoon, got it running smoothly if idling a bit slow. I suited up as the tyres were an unknown quantity, and headed off for a ride. Within 100 metres I knew something was wrong as it was low on power and slow to pick up revs, the tacho wasn't working either. I persevered for about 3km (2mi) and when I got home, pulled the front plug lead, with no effect to the engine. I have now tested both plugs in both coils, both fire on rear coil , neither on front coil, swapped the coils and got the same result, both fire on rear coil , neither on front coil.
I suspect the CDI is defective, but as they back onto bushland I'll be checking the wiring loom for mouse etc attack, as I've seen that before.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Jack

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

aeon_floss

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: No Spark to Front Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »

The front coil wire also feeds the tachometer.  To make sure the problem isn't the tacho you could run a parallel wire to the front coil, or disconnect the tacho feed wire.  Test the wire for earth leakage. 

I have not had this problem myself but a lot of people have mentioned it.  I wonder if a tacho problem can actually fry the CDI circuit to the front coil.  It's nearly always the front coil system that people mention playing up.

Currently riding:
2005 Hyosung GT250R
Ducati 848
Triumph 675 Daytona (now for sale! low km's, Sydney AU)

I read this forum only on weekends

Jackflash

• Training Wheels
Re: No Spark to Front Cylinder
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:25:04 AM »

Thanks for that. It had crossed my mind to check the tacho circuit for ground faults, I just need to get back in the garage and investigate further.
Cheers
Jack

Pages: [1]