• April 17, 2014, 06:05:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Went and lost my only key like a momo... suggestions?  (Read 403 times)

Christron

• Training Wheels
Went and lost my only key like a momo... suggestions?
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »

Lost my only key to my 2006 Hyosung GV650 and it's right at riding season again. I found 2 blanks online i bought, the quoted price to get it re-keyed seems to be around $150-200. The bike was giving me an issue before i lost the key in that i would turn the key to "ON" hit the ignition button and nothing at all would happen, not even a sound. So i would have to press the button a couple dozen times and randomly flip the key on and off and it would start up eventually. If this is an ignition problem should i just get the ignition punched out and replaced w/ the gas cap? I'm kind of a newb, do they have universal ignition switches and gas caps or is there one that's compatible with my bike that's not the specific model?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

WyKi

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Went and lost my only key like a momo... suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »

Hi Chris, I would get a new switch with new keys and the rear seat lock, you know the whole kit. And the price to get it re-keyed is prob around the same price as the kit so.. in a way its better because the switch and lock are new. On my bike I sometimes have to wiggle the key in the ON psition for it to get it to work.. its like if the connector inside is dirty or something, the kill switch on mine is new so thats out of the question, switches sometimes come buggy new, but its been working hella fine, so I know its the key switch. I'll end up buying the kit later on. But I hope that helps :)

Christron

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »

Thanks for your help... that's kind of the direction I was leaning in. Do you know if the ignitions switches are generally universal?

rdugdale

• Regular rider
  • richard- hyosung gt 125 r buyer and seller
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »

hi chris dont know if your from the uk or not but over here you can replace all the locks for around 70 on ebay, or another option is to fit an alarm system with the start from keyfob option you can actually get a decent one for just 30 over here the cyclone v2 i have found to not draw too much power and be an excellent system, this does however leave the fuel tank locked still id just break the barrel so you can use it with any key but thats not for everyone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyosung-Comet-GT-125-250-GT125-GT250-Ignition-Switch-Lock-Hardware-Set-Kit-/360606128728?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item53f5ccda58
hyosung gt 125 r owner

JamesGRM

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:26:42 AM »

Dont know if its related but my buddy on his YBR had the same issue when turning his key his button would or wouldnt work he had to turn off and on till it worked properly turned out the contacts in the barrell werent quite making a good conection whacked it a few times seems to have sorted it go for a new set of locks I say though.

Christron

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »

I'm from the US (Texas) where Hyosung bikes are quite few and far in between. Looks like I'm going to have to get my hands dirty here... I don't mind getting it shipped over. That last one is one hell of a find!! Will cost me $90 but i'll have to see if the seller is willing to ship it to the US, that might change the cost pretty drastically on it's own. Either way I'll have to get a new lockset thursday when i get paid. Thanks a lot guys.

Christron

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »

Do you think the Parts are interchangeable with the GV650 and GT650?

Burninator_Ko

• Regular rider
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 07:20:58 AM »

I doubt it as the housing around the ignition barrel would be different

Pages: [1]