• September 21, 2018, 01:07:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First GT250R Track Day  (Read 1167 times)

bat333

• Learner rider
First GT250R Track Day
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »

Well first Track Day at Napa Speedway, worked pretty good. Need to work on gearing. Went down one tooth in front which was too much. Need to go larger on the back by one or two teeth. The fairing dragged in hard right hand turns. The race tire I used on the back is so much lower than stock I am sure is one reason. That also effected the gearing. But got home and made some different Dog-Bones which raised the ride height I hope enough. Looks like it does.

No other 250's came to the Track Day so nothing to compare it with in speed. The 600's were alot faster, not so in the corners. I hit the rev-limiter way too much, I will work on gearing for next Track Day coming up April 6th at a different track that should help.

Suspension worked way better than I thought for stock settings. I am only 150lbs, I am sure someone heavier would have a problem.

The EBC HH brake pads worked great. Couple of things to do and we are ready for more testing on the 6th. First race is April 14th.

Haven't ridden a 250 in years. Rode TZ250's and have to learn momentum again. With the race tires it stuck like glue.

I will keep you all informed. They are saying 15 or more Ninja 250's will be at the first race.

Alan

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

joel352

• Regular rider
Re: First GT250R Track Day
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »

My insurance MCE do deals on track days for me. I can get 20% off track day prices at cadwell park (my fav track). I am getting a GT250R and I am thinking about going some time in the summer.

What would you recomend I change to make it a bit better for the track. What was it like taking a 250 on a track.

bat333

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:58:18 AM »

I never rode a stock one so real hard to tell you to jump and do this or that. Tires may hold you back from feeling comfortable. Stock ones are hard. Good sticky tires give you confidence street tires don't. Before I did anything else, that is what I would do. They do cost a bit but last a full season of track days. Not sure how long they would on the street.

Just ride it and check your lap times and see if you can improve on that. The EBC HH front brake pads probably would be next.

With mine I tried a one tooth lower front gear and it was too low with the race tire. The stock tire is so tall, when you put on a lower race tire it is like gearing it down anyway. I think they call it aspect. Like going from a 70 series to a 50 series.

Besides that go ride, get comfortable and consistent and add speed. And have fun. No need to do a lot to the bike till you are ready.

My bike on the track felt great. I put a race fairing on it and it dragged so I made some shorter dog bones to raise the ride height about an inch. Again with the taller stock tire everything was fine. Lower tire lowers ground clearance.

I am going tomorrow to a different track, with the ride height higher, went back to stock gearing, so it should work fine. There should be a few Ninja 250's there to compare. I will let you know.

Alan

joel352

• Regular rider
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »

Cheers for the info. Pads will be one of the first things I will change anyways same with the tyres. I want to do it the only thing thats sort of puttin me off is I will have a brand new bike im a bit scared of stacking it.

Dukxing

• Regular rider
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:19:24 AM »

no results on ur first race? have you tuned up everything u wanted to address prior to the race and was there any impact on performance? u seem to know ur stuff, so best of luck to ya.

Pages: [1]