• May 24, 2018, 10:21:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: headlight re-wiring  (Read 2729 times)

johnny2stroke

• Training Wheels
headlight re-wiring
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »

4am yesterday morning I jumped on the bike to ride home from work. I went up a steep hill and as I hit the apex my bike stalled. Now there were no street lights to be seen and it was pitch black and my headlights being engine powered I pood myself a little as I knew there was a hard right hand turn coming up very soon but I had no lights to see it. After managing to get the bike started (there was no fault just my own stupid actions) I pulled over and thought to myself "surely there is a way to wire the headlights to turn on with the ignition instead of the engine.

So how hard is it? What parts would I need? How long would it take? Anything I should know about before I start?

Thanks in advance.
Johnny
2008 Hyosung GT650R. First and only motorcycle.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

CurryPuff

• Grinding the pipes
Re: headlight re-wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »

you'll need to run new wires from the headlight direct to the battery. Use a relay, so, they turn on with the ignition on.

The relay could be connected to your parkers maybe.

600sfx

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »

Are you kidding? The headlight already does on mine, and everyone else's I know.  In fact there is a thread on this site showing how to prevent the headlight coming on with the ignition!

I guess yours must have been modified.
2008 GT650R EFI

Snowfox

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »

Brothers 05 bike does the same as OPs
SmartGuard Immobiliser.
Kaneg Sliders (nocut).
Spools.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 12:49:55 AM »

Heya J2S,

As explained, your bikes headlight should already be the way you are asking for it to be. If it's not, then someone has deliberately tried to make it so.

...but to answer your question, you will need:

1. Some thick gauge red and black wire:

I would recommend 12 AWG for this purpose. (The smaller the number, the thicker the wire, so do not go below 16 AWG.)

2. A blade fuse holder:

3. A 12V 30A SPST relay

4. Some thiner wire, of a colour OTHER than red or black. This wire doesn't carry much current at all, so don't worry about the thickness. 16AWG is more than enough.

5. A T-Tap connector

6. Heat shrink tubing

7. Standard electrical connectors, such as spade connectors, ring terminals, etc

8. Some tools, including a wire stripper, soldering iron, side cutters, scissors & a cigarette lighter.

No pictures for this as yet, but I will try and describe it with words:

1. Two wires attached to the battery, one black, one red. Red to +'ve, black to -ve. Ring connectors on the battery side and female blade connectors on the other end. Crimp, solder and heatshrink the connections, if you have the skill and knowledge to do so.

Put the blade fuse holder on the red wire between the battery and the female blade connector.

2. The red wire, with the fuse on it, goes to the pin marked as "30" on the the relay.

3. The black wire goes to the pin marked as "85" on the relay.

4. Put the T-Tap connector on the wire that leads to your tail light and then use the green wire with a female blade connector on both ends to the t-tap and the pin marked "86" on the relay.

5. Identify the wire that is for your headlight, cut it and connect by soldering a thick red wire to it and run it to pin 87 on the relay with a female blade connector on the relay side. be sure to thread two pieces of heatshrink tubing over the wire before you solder. Keep the tubing pieces well away from the heat of the soldering, then move them over the join and double heatshrink the soldered join.

Done. Worlds messiest guide.

Enjoy,

DBM
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:20:50 AM »

By default the design of some bikes for some countries is position lights on and headlights off until the engine is started to allow maximum power to starter and no flat batteries. Dangerous if you accidentally hit the kill switch as you found out.

As an alternative, rather than a complete re-wire, unless you need lights with no engine for a longer period than that needed to safely pull to a stop, say 10 to 15 seconds, I would suggest a relay off-delay circuit like the interior light delay in your car. Easier to fit to relay than a complete rewire. Ask your local auto electrician, should be a stock item for them.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

Snowfox

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Re: headlight re-wiring
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:27:21 AM »

Heya J2S,

As explained, your bikes headlight should already be the way you are asking for it to be. If it's not, then someone has deliberately tried to make it so.

...but to answer your question, you will need:

1. Some thick gauge red and black wire:

I would recommend 12 AWG for this purpose. (The smaller the number, the thicker the wire, so do not go below 16 AWG.)

2. A blade fuse holder:

3. A 12V 30A SPST relay

4. Some thiner wire, of a colour OTHER than red or black. This wire doesn't carry much current at all, so don't worry about the thickness. 16AWG is more than enough.

5. A T-Tap connector

6. Heat shrink tubing

7. Standard electrical connectors, such as spade connectors, ring terminals, etc

8. Some tools, including a wire stripper, soldering iron, side cutters, scissors & a cigarette lighter.

No pictures for this as yet, but I will try and describe it with words:

1. Two wires attached to the battery, one black, one red. Red to +'ve, black to -ve. Ring connectors on the battery side and female blade connectors on the other end. Crimp, solder and heatshrink the connections, if you have the skill and knowledge to do so.

Put the blade fuse holder on the red wire between the battery and the female blade connector.

2. The red wire, with the fuse on it, goes to the pin marked as "30" on the the relay.

3. The black wire goes to the pin marked as "85" on the relay.

4. Put the T-Tap connector on the wire that leads to your tail light and then use the green wire with a female blade connector on both ends to the t-tap and the pin marked "86" on the relay.

5. Identify the wire that is for your headlight, cut it and connect by soldering a thick red wire to it and run it to pin 87 on the relay with a female blade connector on the relay side. be sure to thread two pieces of heatshrink tubing over the wire before you solder. Keep the tubing pieces well away from the heat of the soldering, then move them over the join and double heatshrink the soldered join.

Done. Worlds messiest guide.

Enjoy,

DBM

Haha yes, brother loves you.

SmartGuard Immobiliser.
Kaneg Sliders (nocut).
Spools.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »

Umm.. why?  :o
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Snowfox

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »

His 05 does the same and was giving him the shits lol.
Me -"Aidan, give this a read."
Brother- "Guess whos doing a wire job for my birthday."
Me-"fak"
SmartGuard Immobiliser.
Kaneg Sliders (nocut).
Spools.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »

I'm happy to lend a hand if he wants to bring it 'round..

Got everything needed and its not my first rodeo. ;)

Pages: [1] 2