• July 19, 2018, 02:39:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Radiator GT650R  (Read 876 times)

Marsh

• Training Wheels
Radiator GT650R
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:54:43 AM »

Hi guys,
love this forum it has helped me on many occasions I just have a quick question, could I install an R1 radiator in the GT 650r?
At the moment my temp gauge is fluctuating, up high then down low. How can I fix this? I will flush the radiator out next weekend to see if this helps.
On hot days I get about 20 km into riding and the bike just cuts out, I had my stator changed about 2 months ago I don't think it is this though
Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Radiator GT650R
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »

The R1 radiator is curved as well as being significantly deeper.

I'd imagine that if you didn't crush it when you hit a speed hump with the front wheel, then the back of it would be touching the front head.

Nothing wrong with the stock radiator. I have ridden for hours in 40 degree Celsius heat and it was steady at 3 bars out of 10. The problem isn't the radiator. Look elsewhere.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

600sfx

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:07:49 AM »

I agree with DBM - the radiator is extremely unlikely to be the problem.  I'd be thinking thermostat, water pump or fan (not necessarily in that order).
2008 GT650R EFI

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »

I will flush the radiator out next weekend
Agree that this is the first step. Flush not just drain. Connect up garden hose.

Make sure you refill with a 50:50 mix of "Distilled" water and an "Ethylene Glycol" based Antifreeze (important) suitable for use in Aluminium radiators.

Please don't use tap water. All tap water contains imputiries which is why it is so important that you use "distilled" water. It isn't that expensive, a couple of bucks for a 5 litre bottle, or buy a good brand of premixed coolant from a reputable auto parts outlet.

Have a look at the brown muck inside your electric kettle to see what I mean. That cr@p gets circulated around and eventually deposits itself onto your entire cooling system. Thermostats don't open properly, thermatic switches don't turn on your fan when they should, engine temperature sensors don't send the corrct signal to the CDI or ECU, and the vertical tubes of your radiator become blocked.

I had my stator changed about 2 months ago I don't think it is this though
It actually could be this or another electrical problem. A flat battery/bad voltage would account for the fluctuating display and engine stopping. Take a pocket digital multimeter with you on your next hot day and if the engine dies measure your battery at the terminal posts.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

Pages: [1]