• October 22, 2014, 05:46:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Help GV 650SE won't start  (Read 1166 times)

damienlikethemovie

• Training Wheels
  • Damien, yeah, like the movie...The Omen.
Re: Help GV 650SE won't start
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »

>:(
Ok...down to my last fuse...literally and figuratively.

Without fuse:  disconnect starter relay...crossed the wires and it turns over but doesn't start.
Left relay disconnected: replaced fuse...popped as soon as i turned the key on.

Out of fuses...out of ideas.

New Battery
New Electrosport regulator
Ignition on (key) pops main fuse after about 3 seconds

I can't seem to remove the cord from the starter without it turning with the bolt and crimping....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:10:35 PM by damienlikethemovie »
Korean Made
'09 GV 650 SE #900

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

DaBigMac

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 11:03:05 PM »

The fuse popping started with the fitting of the reg/rec, right? I am wondering if someone cocked up the pin wiring. Unplug it and see if the fuse still pops?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Grinding the pipes
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »

Nothing on your bike draws sufficient power to blow the 30amp fuse other than a short (bad wiring or fault/short in something).

The starter relay gets its switch-on power via the fuse but the power it supplies to the starter comes directly from the battery without any fuse (try finding a 100+ amp fuse LOL).

You've got something shorting to ground somewhere.
I would also try disconnecting the RR from the rest of the bike and try again. Yes an incorrectly wired RR output would present a ground connection to the +ve wire (and fuse).
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

damienlikethemovie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 04:10:24 AM »

Am talking with Kyle from Electrosport and he asked if the wires matched up ...red to red ,green to brown at the connector....

unless it was cross wired when built.... ??? 
Korean Made
'09 GV 650 SE #900

DaBigMac

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 06:19:12 AM »

If you unplugged it and the fuse stopped popping, then I am pretty sure the reg/rec will be wired ass about face. ..after all the stock one did work at some stage.

Even if the wire colours match up, it's possible that the wires are crossed at the reg/rec side.

Diagnosis:
1. Unplug reg/rec 2-pin connector
2. Stick a multimeter in it.
3. Determin +'ve.
4. Stick the multimeter in the plug that leads off into the loom.
5. Determin +'ve.
6. Compare.

If the wiring is wrong, get a flat blade precision screw driver and jiggle the pins out of the connector and reverse them.

Easy fix.

DBM
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

damienlikethemovie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 02:21:35 PM »

Detached the connector to the regulator...lights came on and then i saw smoking from behind the headlight right before i blew another fuse.  So, it's not the regulator :)

But I think Gotivera mentioned something about turning the handle bars and it shorting out....I think i noticed the same....when i turn  left a little the headlight dims,,,turn a lot and she pops.

I need some time off work where I have enough daylight to really get elbows deep and find the short...nice weekends are few this time of year.

--------------------------
So... I'm getting caught up now on why DBM said to replace the wiring....I've been reading the other articles in the other forums and i didn't know the depth of a problem this was for LITERALLY EVERY OWNER. 

I keep look on the bright side, that it was this time of year rather than perfect riding weather.
I'm learning a lot about motorcycles and Hyosung. (Not all bad)

And the videos from roadstercycle are helping...and really considering buying the new wiring with circuit breaker.

But doing electrical stuff isn't like turning wrenches , it's more like a puzzle or mind game...with possible painful and expensive consequences.
  But being stranded sucks worse I think.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:48:18 AM by damienlikethemovie »
Korean Made
'09 GV 650 SE #900

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Grinding the pipes
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 09:26:56 AM »

As I said, you have a short or bad wiring.

This is not exclusive to Hyo's.
The vibes and movement of the front of your bike will eventually wear through/fatigue any wires on any bike.

damienlikethemovie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »

AFter having the bike covered for all of Dec. and most of Nov. i finally got her back together and found my little gremlin...  the kickstand switch.

I wasn't being systematic enough when i was searching for initially and now I finally found it when I disconnected the neg. terminal and not the positive, when I flicked the kickstand up it locked up (closing the circuit), and wouldn't let go until i disconnected the battery. 

Soon as i get what little money it is to replace it'll be back on the road...Thanks lots ya'll.
Korean Made
'09 GV 650 SE #900

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Grinding the pipes
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 05:02:38 AM »

They are repairable, quite easily, if funds are tight or time is of the essense.
Even thought these switches are only $16 (GBP 9) to buy a replacement, if you don't do the side stand mod you will most likely have to replace the switch again and again (see below).

Remove switch from side of bike and cut off cable ties and unplug from wiring loom.
Scratch off that black silicone plastic-like sh!t from the back of the switch.
Remove the two small phillips head screws (lazy ar$e factory monkeys may have only fitted one) that hold the cover on.
Lift off cover.
There, you now have all the innards exposed that you can clean. Don't loose any springy bits.
Got a phone? photo innards before you pull apart to help with reassembly.
Remove the brass contact bits and polish the muck off them between your thumb and fore-finger.
Refit the bits and give the innards a short spray with electrical contact cleaner/lubricant.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/CRC-Automotive-Electronic-Cleaner-300g.aspx?pid=13177#Cross
or
http://www.electrolube.com.au/products/contact-lubricants/detail.html?pid=122&section=22

Reverse the disassembly and refit cover, screws, and seal with some bathroom silicone sealant.

Next, remove the side stand and in a vice, ever so slightly bend the small tab that pushes the plunger on your switch, so that the switch plunger is pushed in an extra couple of mm when the side stand is up.
The switch has been badly designed and only just makes the contacts close. This causes small electrical arcing on the brass contacts resulting in early switch failure. By having the plunger push in further this won't occur again.

Refit switch and stand to bike and then cable tie wire to frame and reconnect to wiring loom.

DONE!
Cost = $0.00 (if you already have some elecrical contact cleaner and silicone sealant)
Time = half an hour

damienlikethemovie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »

I tried to clean up the sidestand switch but i only ended up stripping one of the screws. 

Replaced the switch with OEM....still no neutral light and it still pops the fuse when in neutral.

Neutral safety switch on order from dealer... bike still not running.
Korean Made
'09 GV 650 SE #900

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4