• July 19, 2018, 02:42:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: GVWR values on 650s from 2013  (Read 1124 times)

solarsea

• Learner rider
GVWR values on 650s from 2013
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm considering of buying a Hyosung for my first bike, but I'm kinda torn apart between the cruiser and the naked models. Since I plan on carrying a pillion some times, I'd like to compare the capacity of them. Can you share the GVWR for your bikes ?

Thanks!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
Re: GVWR values on 650s from 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:12:19 AM »

GVWR
????????

Even the GV250 is fine with a pillion. I'm approx 6'1" 90kg and the wife 5'4" 90kg and it handles us two up fine. Crank the preload rear shocks up to 4 for us two. Just got to cool it a bit in corners and watch rear braking on a right-hand turn round-about as that drops the back down and I scrape the 2into1 exhaust.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

solarsea

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »

GVWR stands for gross vehicle weight rating I believe - a maximum value that the bike can carry. Deduct the bike's weight from and you've got the max load for a rider/pillion. I'm asking this as I'm ~130kg, gf's around 100 :)

I'm reading the other topics and I looks like that I'm in for a change of several things as soon as I get it. Can anyone confirm them (for the GV650)?

1. Better battery ?
2. Check if seat is mounted properly ?
3. Get a new stator ?
4. Get a new rectifier/diode bridge ? and new voltage regulator ?
5. Better oil for the forks ?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »

I'm also no light-weight, but my bike is the GT naked.

I took a friend as a pillion passenger (70kgs + helmet/leathers/etc) to Wollongong, a lengthy round trip and had no issues with the suspension. The GT is a mono-shock design, while the GV with it's twin shocks would be even better suited to 2-up riding. The big surprise was that the pillion seat was actually comfortable and that the power was so present that I hardly noticed the difference! Even taking off from lights, it was effortless.

I would say that for the GV, that your list of additional parts would be:

Reg/Rec only <-- invest in the roadstercycle.com product.

The batteries are only an issue with the stock reg/rec and the stator in more modern models seems to me to be reasonable in it's reliability providing you're not redlining all the time.

If you want to spend some money on a top quality ride, get a pair of Hagon shocks for the rear and some Motul 15W oil for the front forks. The Hagon shocks are frightfully expensive though, thoroughly research before deciding.

A possibly more important consideration is your seat. A wider seat would make life a lot more liveable.

There's an Aussie dude who re-works Hyosung seats in a number of ways.

http://www.acmseats.com.au/example-work/hyosung-motorbike-seats

No idea of pricing, but you can be sure it won't be as much as a Sargent Cycle or Mustang seat.

DBM
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »

Bike won't be a problem but, not being rude here, what may be of more concern is can you both actually fit on "a" bike. 130 + 100 means neither of you is small around the middle unless you are both quite tall and your pillion may be pushing you forward for any bike to be comfortable for long unless she doesn't mind you pushing back into her.

Go take one for a test ride two up I say.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

solarsea

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »

Hylife - that's a fair point ;) Though nice to able to, riding two is certainly not the primary use case for the bike.
DBM - Thanks for the info! are all reg/rec shipped dead on arrival, or do they fail regularly with usage ?

I might not be able to test it before buying, though I had the chance to sit upon a 2008/9 version (not the anniversary/special edition) and it was fairly comfortable even with the stock seat.

I'm a bit worried about the plastic belt cover as well, but probably because very few bikes where I live are belt-driven. Are there any occurring issues with it ?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 08:13:59 PM »

Not shipped DOA.. They generally tend to last a year or so before you notice that your battery has died, without much warning.

I don't own a GV, but I have never head of any issues with the belt drive, nor the cover.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

solarsea

• Learner rider
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 08:44:54 PM »

GV650 it is then :) I should have the cash for a new one just in time for the spring.

Granted, I still have to acquire my license. I high-sided on the training grounds a day before the exam, knee hurt like hell. Didn't broke any bones atleast :)

Pages: [1]