• October 17, 2017, 04:45:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Project: 03 GT125 Restoration / GTR "Face Lift" Conversion  (Read 15174 times)

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
Project: 03 GT125 Restoration / GTR "Face Lift" Conversion
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

Hi All,

As I said in my introduction, I hope to create a project thread to keep you updated with my progress. I will include my current problems, solutions and parts status.

If you have advice as I progress please chip in.

You can find all pictures here. I did not want to clutter this thread with them all.

Parts for sale:
Coming Soon!

Work Log:

14/04/14
Current status shows that my bike has been on fire at some stage. I have a lot of parts missing (seats, fairings, etc). I've just pulled the engine out and removed the harness (which has been chopped to bits) and gave the frame a wash. I noticed that the rear of the frame has been completely chopped. Petrol tank was a rusty ball, someone had previously attempted to change its color and successfully left it to rust over the years with several blobs of catty stuck in it. Gave it a quick sand down and blow over with grey primer to show the high spots.

21/04/14
Managed to locate a donor frame which should be arriving shortly and allow me to repair that. Gave the frame and wheels a well needed wash with TFR.

22/04/14
Wiring harness ordered, part numbers were from the GT250 but everywhere I looked said it also fit the GT125. Part number on my original harness is "36610HM7960 GT-125". If anyone can confirm that they are the same, it would be appreciated. Ordered a full lock set since mine came with no keys.. or locks  :-\. This will allow me to finish the petrol tank and fit the lock to finish it up. Did a bit of reading about alarm systems, I figured since I'll be fitting the harness, now is a good time to fit one. I've had several attempts by people to steal my bikes so I know the importance of one, and if it saves the bike once, its paid for itself. I've always used the xena disc locks on my smaller bikes however I've heard good reviews regarding hawk alarms and also the cheap clones. Any views are welcome.

23/04/14
Front suspension removed. Frame has been prepped ready for the donor, lots of grinding  :o.

29/04/14
Donor frame has been prepped and slotted into place. Ready to be welded back up. Once that's welded I can then get ready to paint and put the bike back together a piece at a time.

02/05/14
Frame has been welded together and a quick coat of red oxide on the joins. This should prevent them from rusting while I get time to paint stripper the frame and spray it.

Had a quick look into the carbs to check for blockages, gradually putting parts into the small ultrasonic cleaner I have. I think someone has got the jets the wrong way round, it seems I have the 90 in the rear and 87.5 in the front (throttle linkage carb). Will double check this before I put them on the bike. I can tell they have been removed previously by the marks on the top of the jets. If someone can confirm which jets go in which that would be appreciated. There is also a lot of gunk in the carbs so I will finish cleaning the smaller parts and dunk each of them in the cleaner.

03/05/14
Removed the swing arm and began removing the paint off the frame. Doesnt seem to be touching the front half of the frame however the rear (250) seems to be bubbling away.

I also had a deeper look into the carbs and have started to soak them in the cleaner to remove the crud in there.

05/05/14
Replaced all the screws on the carbs with some stainless steel cap screws. Damaged the diaphragms getting the screws hot (they were rusted solid). Only a slight mark on the diaphragm but no point taking the risk. Whilst there I will replace the fuel bowl gaskets.

09/05/14
Order from HyosungSource cancelled after they messed me around regarding my wiring harness. I stated in my order that I needed a 2003 model and the code however they tried to send me a 250 for a 2013 model *sigh*. I've got one from ebay which should be landing shortly which matches the code from my original harness.

13/05/14-15/05/14
OK so the harness that I was assured matched the code off my 125 harness also turned out to be wrong, and chopped. I've decided to start to build up one of the harnesses which you can see in the latest photos. Progress is slow in the time I'm getting after work. Still, its highlighted that someone has drastically chopped into the ignition switch at some point.

15/05/14 - Ignition coil feed separated and taped up, indicator wire added (green + earth), all earths re-soldered after they had crumbled away. Tomorrow should be the be opposite indicator and the missing plug (white plug middle of the harness). I have all the wires but they are located near the clocks.

16/05/14
Wiring harness complete and checks out with my old harness and wiring diagram. I just need to finish wrapping it in harness tape but the major connections are there and working. A lot of work for something which was sold as "good working order".

04/06/14
Slow progress of late, been working on other projects. Wiring harness completely taped up now ready to go on bike. Ordered the carb diaphragms and service kits to finish them off. Still looking for a center stand, emailed a few places.

07/06/14 - 10/06/14
Ok, What a F*CK on getting those diaphragm's on has been. NRP did not send the model which slide on and simply glue to the slide. They sent like for like. Now that would of been great had I sent the slides to them for them to fit. Also worth mentioning, I tried phoning them 5 times and not once did they answer. Something to keep in mind if anyone is thinking of ordering off them. Anyway, the photos show my dads solution which will allow me to safely remove the diaphragm and replace easily. You can also see a full shot of the carbs as I start to put them back together.

The good news *drum roll*... Frame has gone into the shot blaster today, I will post back at the weekend with the results and of course some photo's.

15/06/14
Frame back from shot blasting ready for painting. The rebuilding process can now start.

21/06/14
Few coats of red oxide primer to stop the frame from rusting.

22/06/14
Carb service finished, and a few more coats of red oxide being applied to the frame before primer.

23/06/14
Few coats of grey primer applied.

25/06/14
Front forks getting seals replaced and painted. They were leaking so might as well fix and paint in one go. Took a pic of the oil that came out, it smelt like gear box oil, not fork oil.

26/06/14
Dad created a custom tool to split the forks (see pics). That's all the good news I'm afraid. As I mentioned yesterday the second was also filled with gearbox oil, that's not the worst, take a look at the pics, they have used some grips on the fork tubes and seriously ruined them. No wonder they were leaking, they would tear in no time.

I either buy replacement fork tubes or look at buying the forks to start a proper GTR conversion. Anyone have the full parts list for this? I know I need Forks and Yoke. Advice would be appreciated.

28/06/14
WeeDave shamed me into having a cleanup of my oil cooler. Pics of before and soaking in oven cleaner. I've ran out of the stuff so will finish that up later along with straightening out some fins. Whilst there I cleaned up the oil cooler cover to restore its shine.

30/06/14
Finished oil cooler cleanup.

05/06/14
Another coat of primer on the petrol tank to show the remaining areas that need work.

19/07/14-20/07/14
Began testing a few methods of using electrolysis to remove rust from inside the tank. I began using baking soda which was put in the oven for 20 minutes (read from a guide on the net) and a bit of copper tubing. Results were good but nothing was sticking to the copper tube. Changed the solution this morning and tried some steel tube and the results are brilliant. I need to shape the tube to sit right inside the tank, this is purely testing stages but from the photos you can see rust is now sticking to the sacrificial tube. I plan to buy some caustic soda and use that with the shaped steel tube for even better results. Also worth mentioning that the battery charger I'm using is only 4-5amps, most guides are using 10-50 so results will be slower for me, however its not cost a penny so far.

22/07/14
Changed to caustic soda and using steel bar. Results are much better and the inside of the tank is almost clean. Just created a cap to allow me to work on the tank upside down to remove the last bits. Results have been amazing, for something that's cost 4 for the caustic soda I totally recommend it. Added a few more photos just to show progress.

28/07/14
Working in the garden today and decided to pour some oil into the cylinders. I quickly noticed oil dripping and assumed it poured straight out the exhaust port. On closer inspection its leaking from the head. Looks like that will be getting a tear down in future. Also you will notice a nice shiny painted swing arm.

21/08/14
I've been delayed a few months but progress has picked up with some very shiny gold forks landing on my door step (brand spanking new!). I have a center stand, cowling brace and rear grab rail arriving in the post soon which should see me complete the frame modifications and get back on track.

27/08/14
Grab rail landed today and Cowling Brace any day soon. Once they land I can fabricate the mounts needed to finish the frame. Once that's done, finish painting the frame and get back on with making it resemble a bike once again.

02/09/14
Center Stand arrived today with the mounting kit. Cowling Brace has landed in the UK and should be here this week.

04/09/14
Cowling Brace arrived, hopefully I can get the mounting points welded to the headstock and rear to complete the GTR frame conversion this weekend.

17/09/14
GTR rear frame landed today. Removed the grab rail bracket and welded to my frame. Headstock mounts also welded. Photos should help anyone who wants to do this to achieve a full GTR conversion.

02/10/14
New 250R harness landed today along with a new fuel sender unit (I never had one with my tank). I also managed to grab a GTR top yoke for dirt cheap. You can see from the photos how tatty it looked and I gave it a quick sand ready for primer.

11/10/14
Frame painted gloss black today, sneak peak here. Will leave it for a few weeks before putting the harness in. Headlight and Tach are on route. In the meantime I can primer and paint the top yoke.

21/10/14
Quick splash of silver on the top yoke. Highlighted a few marks, will flatten and go again. Pic

23/10/14
GTR Tach, Headlight and mount arrived tonight. I rigged the harness to the battery charger and managed to get the clock and headlight working. I will post some photos once the harness is in the frame this weekend. Tonight was just about confirming they worked.

01/11/14-02/11/14
Center stand fitted. Bearings and front suspension installed. Top yoke off to get some lacquer. Test fit with the headlight and tach which need a clean up and modding.

04/11/14-07/11/14
Clear lacquer mixed and sprayed onto the top yoke. Unfortunately I had some muck appear from no where and land bang in the center of the yoke. Had to flatten it out and spray silver again. Just applied some more lacquer to it now.

Whilst that's drying I've managed to loosely fit my harness in place. Ive left it loose as now is the ideal time to fit any other modifications such as an alarm. As usual, pics uploaded to my site.

03/01/15
First update of 2015, Happy new year all! On with the usual business, ordered a pair of clip ons which should arrive next week, this will allow me to fasten the top yoke down. I've also uploaded the christmas present off my brother. I hadnt even noticed it was missing from my "to do box". Santa also packed some Spada this year.

07/01/15
As usual with this bike, one step forward and two steps back. Handlebars arrived, I fitted those and tapped the threads of the top yoke out. All good, till I tried to fit the top yoke to the bike. I've uploaded a photo for you to see, the top yoke wont fit the forks and stem. Its like the top yoke is too small. Now I know for sure the top yoke is a 125r yoke however I do not know the year. The forks are 250's I believe, surely they should fit? Any advice I would be extremely greatful.

08/01/15
Think I've found the problem. This will have to wait till the weekend so I can use some acetylene and a piece of bar. On a lighter note, that square is older than me.

24/01/15
From the christmas present to this. Spring now looks like this. Will apply a few coats of lacquer and re-assemble.

08/04/15
Been a long time since I've posted but I've been busy on another project bike. I managed to get the new bottom yoke fitted after a paint and lacquer. Then on with the suspension. Surprisingly I tried the top yoke on (which is still being painted) and it fell into place. Update.

On another note I had the rear master cylinder lock on me on my other bike. I thought people might like to see what I found inside: Pic 1. Pic 2. I cleaned it out and re-assmebled however after I tried to pump the pedal it shat itself. Fortunately I had a spare master cylinder but apart from whygostock is there no other supplier of rebuild kits? Surely its not economical to just keep replacing the full cylinder?

10/03/16
All parts obtained for conversion and face lift. Awaiting some nice weather to perform another rear frame swap.

25/03/2016
Managed to get a few minutes to look at the new rearset, MC and caliper I picked up. The rear brake was solid. No movement on the lever and I suspected another stuck MC. I was very wrong. It was actually the steel bush rusted solid to the footrest. Anyway after a quick service it shouldnt happen again. Pics here, here, here, here, and here.

They need a repaint but it was something that had been annoying me for ages.

31/03/2016
Any further news will continue on page 15. This post is getting too long.

GTR Conversion:
  • GTR Grab Rail Bracket
  • GTR Headstock Mounts
  • GTR Cowling Brace
  • GTR Grab Rail
  • Forks
  • Bottom yoke
  • Steering head spindle + bearing
  • Axle
  • Top yoke
  • Clip-on handlebars
  • Fairing-mount mirrors
  • Headlight
  • GTR Rear Sets
  • Fuel Sender Unit
  • GTR Gear selector
  • GTR Tach
  • Speedo Drive
  • Tach/speedo mount bracket
  • All Fairings
  • Screen
  • GTR Front Brake Lines

Regards

Joss
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:04:45 PM by Joss »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Re: Project: 03 GT125 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:36:16 PM »

Do the comets have a center stand?
Funky.
I wish you all the best of luck!
Hyosungsource and eBay are your friends here.

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »

Do the comets have a center stand?

I'm pretty sure its an additional item, however it will most certainly help me when rebuilding. I've checked under the frame and the mounting points exist.

I've only seen it in stock here, unless anyone else knows somewhere or has one.

*Edit* As usual, click post and one turns up. WhyGoStock have them in here.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:26:44 PM by Joss »

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:26:14 PM »

Updated first post with status. Uploaded photos to website.

Regards

Joss

Icurus

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »

Hi Joss, regarding the alarm; I have the Hawk x60 talking alarm and immobiliser with shock and movement sensors. Fitted myself quite easily albeit with a little help from the guys here. I used bullet connectors with waterproof cases. Had to extend a couple of wires. I mounted the control module on top of the battery, LED under rear light, siren and speaker in front of battery,(were in "boot" but it lets in water). All works really well and does not drain battery. Great deal on same system on the bay of E.
Hope this helps, Icurus.
Fixed '10 GT125R. lovin it at the moment

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »

Hi Joss, regarding the alarm; I have the Hawk x60 talking alarm and immobiliser with shock and movement sensors. Fitted myself quite easily albeit with a little help from the guys here. I used bullet connectors with waterproof cases. Had to extend a couple of wires. I mounted the control module on top of the battery, LED under rear light, siren and speaker in front of battery,(were in "boot" but it lets in water). All works really well and does not drain battery. Great deal on same system on the bay of E.
Hope this helps, Icurus.

Thanks for that, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

weedave

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »

Where do the front indicators clip on to? I am changing front end from a badly put together gt125r fairing to stock gt125 headlight. Cheers.

Andygtcomet

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »

They fit onto the forks mate!

weedave

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 12:26:26 AM »

They fit onto the forks mate!

Yeah I want to know what type clips they are and where I can get them. Any idea? Cheers.

Andygtcomet

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »

best bet is to find someone breaking one and grab the front indicators, the clips are part of the indicator stalks on the Comet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19