• August 25, 2019, 12:09:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Battery not charging.. What to check first??  (Read 2792 times)

peculiarfish0

• Learner rider
Battery not charging.. What to check first??
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »

Haven't used the bike in about 6 months.

Battery was mostly flat, Jump starts perfectly but went on a 8 mile ride n borrowed n borrowed a trickle charger for couple hours but it still won't even try to start.

Volt meter puts it at 10v whilst running.. Should be about 14 right?? so alternator doesn't seem to be charging it. (same when earthed to the frame)

Could it be the battery?
Or loose wiring?
Whats best to check first and how?

Gotta use it tomorrow morning so need to sort it asap!
Cheers

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Re: Battery not charging.. What to check first??
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »

That'd be your stator(alternator) not charging your battery. Stator swap time!

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:12:51 AM »

Before you go dissaembling stators and RRs etc consider that it may be a bad battery.
A trickle charger won't cut it for recovering a flat battery, they are only for maintaining a battery in a fully charged state to prevent self discharge.
If the battery is a 12AH or 14AH (AH = amp hour) you need to charge it for a minimum of 10 to 12 hours at 1.2 amps.
Disconnect the battery from the bike and connect it to a decent charger for overnight. Check the battery voltage in the morning, after disconnecting from the charger but before connecting it to the bike, should be at least 13.2 volts or slightly higher. Less than this is a dud battery.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

serp

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Serp's world
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »

Check the battery voltage in the morning, after disconnecting from the charger but before connecting it to the bike, should be at least 13.2 volts or slightly higher. Less than this is a dud battery.

You can't make blanket statements like that without mentioning the variables.
If the battery does show 13.2V but doesn't hold a load it's still a bad battery and showing less than 13.2V does not automatically make it a dud, mine for instance has never shown more than 12.8V but it starts my bike just fine every other day and has been doing it for 5 years now.
I can't slow down, the Langoliers will get me.

ertert

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 04:54:59 AM »

If the battery is healthy then under no load* conditions it will always read better than 13 volts.

When loaded it will always be better than 12 volts.

*No load = disconnected from the bike

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:01:09 AM »

You can't make blanket statements like that without mentioning the variables.
If the battery does show 13.2V but doesn't hold a load it's still a bad battery and showing less than 13.2V does not automatically make it a dud,

Sorry Serp but yes I can make that blanket statement and yes it does make it a dud. I made no statements about what if it does read 13.2, only about if it reads "less than" 13.2 because the OP's battery read 10V.
I agree that a battery can charge up to 13.2 and not hold be able to deliver a high enough current, but a failing cell that presents a high resistance to load also presents that resistance to voltage and shows up as a lower than normal terminal voltage when fully charged. There is no magic VooDoo with batteries, good batteries charge up, bad batteries don't and bad batteries self discharge (don't hold a charge) fast. The normal self discharge rate for lead acid wet batteries is approx 1% per day. If you suspect your battery is not holding a charge the test is easy. Charge, measure, let stand disconnected for a week and measure again.

Straight off a charger (before you connect up to your bike) I would expect probably 13.4 for a good battery.
A good fully charged battery WILL read 13.2 or higher. Doesn't matter that your bike starts with your battery, if your battery is reading 12.8 then either your battery is failing or your multimeter is not reading correctly, or you measured whilst connected to your bike.

The OP requires help for a battery that measured 10V and assumed that an "alternator" wasn't charging it.
Ninja postulated that is was time to swap the stator.
My suggestion is to verify the battery 'BEFORE' going down the track of considering RR & stator issues.
The Hyo 250 charging system is really quite well built and reliable although the RR like most small cc bikes is weak on the output current.
Verifying if your battery is the problem is not only the simplest and easiest check, but a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing stators and RRs and then discovering that the problem still exists and that the darned battery wasn't checked properly and it was the problem.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

perjam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

From the manufacturers website.
A 12-volt motorcycle battery:The six cells are connected together to produce a fully charged battery of about 12.6 volts.

serp

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • Serp's world
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »

Sorry Serp but yes I can make that blanket statement and yes it does make it a dud. 

Doesn't matter that your bike starts with your battery, if your battery is reading 12.8 then either your battery is failing or your multimeter is not reading correctly, or you measured whilst connected to your bike.
Connected to the bike or on the table the reading is the same since I have no leakage current (measured on a 300 ma scale) and I know for a fact that both of my Fluke 10 and Fluke 73 meters are accurate and working just fine. So my battery has been "failing" for 5 years now and shows sign of continuing to "fail" for the foreseeable future. I past experience holds true I should get another year out of it.
I do have a weak charging system, it's been that way since new but having gone trough 3 stators, 4 RR and 3 batteries (under warranty) I've learned to live with it, I just don't run any accessories.
I just monitor my battery closely waiting for the day when it goes tits up but so far it has never failed to do it's job and it's holding at a steady 12.8V.
Pretty impressive for a "dud".
I can't slow down, the Langoliers will get me.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:27:51 PM »

Perhaps fixating on numbers a bit too much.  ???

Battery not charging.. What to check first?? The battery.

If the battery check sout, then there's three potential issues:

1. Inadequate/damaged/corroded wiring.
2. Reg/Rec. (Regulating Rectifier, or Rectifying Regulator, take your pick).
3. Stator.

The first thing to do is to test the battery. As to what constitutes an effective test, for my peace of mind, I take it to a battery shop and have them test it. They have special equipment that does a range of tests and its usually free.

If the battery checks out:

Test to eliminate 1, visually. Doesn't hurt to give things a bit of a roughing up with a round file.

Test to eliminate 2 & 3, refer to the service manual, or come back and ask for the steps. I am sure you'll find someone willing to help.

The charging system is not very complex. Everything has its role and each part can be tested for failure. For my money, even if the battery IS bad, which it probably is, I would suggest that the reg/rec and wiring are the root cause. The wiring makes the reg/rec fail and the reg/rec has failed, so the battery has eventually died by discharging too deeply. Sorry to be a kill joy, but these bikes are known for this issue.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:33:14 PM by DaBigMac »
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Pages: [1]