• October 20, 2017, 12:46:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GT 650 Top-Heavy  (Read 2241 times)

Bill R.

• Training Wheels
GT 650 Top-Heavy
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:52:22 AM »

I have an '07 Naked GT 650, love the look and ride, but I've laid it down twice in a month on the left side when parking it.  With no protection on the left side the shift pedal broke off both times, and the handle bar puts a dent in the tank, not to mention the scrapes and bruises to my precious body.  Seems once it goes so far, I can't stop it from going over and it's too heavy to lift back up by myself, so I have to solicit a passer-by to help me right it.  Then it runs very poorly. 

Conclusion:  After having a hundred or so bikes, the HY650 is top-heavy.  I took the tank off, full of gas and it's very heavy to be that high on the bike.  It needs a third wheel on the left side or something.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
Re: GT 650 Top-Heavy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »

I guess the bike's steel frame (and steel tank) make it a bit heavier than some of the competition, but I found my Suzuki SV650 harder to move around with it's low, clip on bars and fairing limited turning.......

So, I haven't dropped my naked GT650 yet, but I have been warned!

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:51 PM »

How much does the tank weigh when empty I wonder..
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

IL-rider

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »

the bike is not the heaviest in the group. i lifted my devirsion 600 and it is one heavy bike.
there are some thecniques to lift a bike, check youtube. and you can buy some frame slider for cheap on ebay. mine cost me like 20$ or something.

5h4d0w

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 05:01:43 AM »

Ive had my hyo gt650r fall on me just after i first got it cos i was slightly off balance. and it fell towards the left side to. I would have to agree that i tried my hardest to stop it and there was no way that I would have been able to prevent it from falling. luckily i was on my front lawn so i had a soft landing with no damage at all. mind you i was still trying to save it when it was 50 degrees from the ground. i see all these guys throwing around 140-160kg bikes. bastards haha. luckily my other mate has a 300kg bike so im not the heaviest one around haha

evo90

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 11:47:52 PM »

Yes, every thing Bill R said is true, I could have written it, just change to say Gt650S (Half faring). The only bike I've ever owned I couldn't pick up by my self, that includes an 1990 FXRS Harley weighing about 640 lbs.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:24:53 AM by evo90 »

beachpitcrew

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:00:00 AM »

After bike falls its too late. To lift bike place your back to the bike and walk backwards and the bike will stand up.....see ride like a pro dot com.

Next time put side stand down when you park and let that hold it when you get off. Other technique is keep the front tire straight and put side stand down before getting off. 

If this happens as your moving at slow speed. Don't turn handle bars hard right at low speed with front brake locked up.  If this happens at faster speed try not to lock up the rear wheel in a turn.

Seen lots of lightweights put way bigger mototcycles back up single handed using Gerry paladino technique.
2011 GV250, 2013 IRON 883

masush

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »

even 250 is heavy for me..
one day i was using my 250 for going round (small 8 figure mark area , where only small bikes can rotate, its basically mark for giving trials on bike here in our country to claim license), i knew my hyo couldn't do that but i was trying.. then it almost fail on left side.. I locked it with my left leg at 50 degree but couldn't lift it up.. so i called my friend right away and lift it up..

spit051261

• Learner rider
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:23:15 AM »

After dropping my 650 (no damage luckily having just fitted sliders) I have changed my mind and can tell you it is indeed a heavy bike  :-[
Seems a lot heavier than my mates GSXR 650. Not sure if that is due to the weight distribution or what.
Oh yes , if you do drop it , my advice is to just try to get out of the way if you can . The bike can be repaired a lot easier that a broken foot .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:33:39 AM by spit051261 »

albertinhouston

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »

just curious...
what is y'alls height and weight.

Pages: [1] 2