• October 22, 2018, 12:10:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Am I An Idiot?? Or Just Cautious????  (Read 1853 times)

jbrough7

• Forum Addict
Am I An Idiot?? Or Just Cautious????
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:32:31 PM »

I gotta relate this 'almost deal' that 'nearly' happened today at the Toronto Supershow.  A little background.

I bought my Bandit for $6999 a year ago from a Toronto dealer and that really is a fantastic price as MSRP in Canada is about $8800!

So the very same dealership is at the show today and MY salesman is there and remembers me and my deal and we yak for a bit (I just love yakking to these motorcycle guys!) and then I say I love the Bandit but want to try something sporty.

He has several Gixxer 750s there and they MSRP at more than $13000 here.  His price is $10900 and I've never ever seen one that cheap.  Then he tells me he will give me $6500 for my Bandit on a trade sight unseen!  But he says we HAVE to do the deal 'TODAY'.

So I would basically ride the Bandit for six months and 10000 km. for $500!!!

Plus the tax I would have to pay (14% in Canada) is only calculated on the difference, a huge savings!!

I told him I never jump into a deal without a lot of thought and I walked away.  I mulled it over and thought I might go back but didn't.

I figure if he really wants my business, the same deal should be available in the spring.

Would you have jumped at that deal?  Getting almost exactly what you paid for your year old bike??

Basically, all I had to do was give him $500 today and then switch bikes and do all the paperwork in the spring!!!!!!!!!

jim

edit:  by the way, the most incredible thing I sat on today was this Ducati Sport 1000 - it was freakin' awesome!!  No Triumphs at the show! :(

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

infearno

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 11:54:48 PM »

Would have jumped at it myself, hope you can still get the deal

KungFuZing

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 01:51:15 AM »

I would have jumped at the deal, after going over the bike front to back.
With $500 loss on your old bike who wouldnt. I lost almost $1000, just turning the bike from brand new to second hand!
Mods List: Home made tail tidy,  Cheeter Alarm,  L.E.D. Front Indicators, Small C/Fibre rear Indicators, Honda CBR600F Brake Lever, Ventura Rack,  Flashy blue thing on the rear tyre valve. Rear Seat cowel in shed waiting to be sanded and painted, will pos

zoran

• Forum Addict
  • the older I get, the faster I was
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:45:07 AM »

I'd say, go for it, Jim. You're obviously ready to change/upgrade and it seems you'd get a decent deal. I've no clue what the dealer's cost is, but I'm sure he's not loosing on the transaction.
What the heck, do it and six months later trade it in on a Daytona...

zoran
life is too important to be taken seriously...

deadmeat

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 08:15:01 AM »

8O

psychedelic

• Forum Addict
  • Hyosung's first bagger
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 12:21:14 PM »

Jbrough7 I dont know about canada. But state side thats a hell of a deal.
Wouldnt expect to see that this spring. But I would go with safe probley too.
Hey mabie this explains it. Isnt the Canadaien Dollor (in coin) called a looney?
You dont have to like it. But its for the best

wookie

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 12:30:14 PM »

This is a tough one ... been looking and reading about this bike and loving everything about it.   :twisted:  8) Doesn't hurt a friend of mine rides the litre Gixser.

However jumping into big deals is something I steer away from.  It's the battle of the heart v head.

I would have probably wallked away too.  It's a bit unfair to pressure you into decideding on the spot.  But that's why he's the salesman. :dunno:  :D
"You can do everything with bayonets, but you are not able to sit on them" -Otto Von Bismarck

jbrough7

• Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 12:33:46 PM »

Psyche:

:D  :D
yeah, it is!  And my house is NOT a looney bin! :wink:

Thanks for the input, guys.

I had just paid the Bandit off so part of me didn't want another monthly again right away but it only would have been $100 a month or so.  Give up Susie the plastic blow-up doll and her friends and it would have been like free.

I shoulda done the deal but I'm kinda conservative with buying stuff, I guess. :oops:

BTW, I've been looking up tests of the Gixxers and went back to the intro of THIS model - 2001 - and the MSRP in the States back then is the same I could have paid yesterday!  Don't get it!!

Wookie:  What colour does your friend have?  Apparently that black and orange Halloween look is by far #1 in Canada on the 1 litre.  On the 750, I think I would go with that graphite colour.  It looks pretty good in the flesh...

Cheers...

jim

wookie

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »

I think he has the 2003 model in the standard blue & white.
"You can do everything with bayonets, but you are not able to sit on them" -Otto Von Bismarck

jbrough7

• Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »

You know, I always thought that colour combo was boring but it looked kinda cool yesterday.

You're up and at 'em right now!  It's nearly 7 in the a.m. here.  Afternoon there?

jim

Pages: [1] 2 3