• December 18, 2017, 01:51:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: GT650R '12 track project blog  (Read 4729 times)

Schmik

• Training Wheels
Re: GT650R '12 track project blog
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »

The prep continues:

Ill wont be using the side fairings, having rather a semi naked 650S look: everything is secure without them attached. I like the look of it!
Made a fibreglass plug for the headlight.
Moved the foot controls up and back.
R/R dedicated positive lead to the battery.
Trickle charger cable/plug.
Velcro on the instrument panel to mount my old phone. Can still see the temp and fuel readouts.
Checked fluids and took it for a quick twist :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:24:43 AM by Schmik »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Schmik

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »

Final prep:

Chopping board chain guard
Camera mount using pushbike light mount and cable ties
Unplugged AIS pump power plug
Item Check list for the track day
Put it all on the trailer the night before ready to go.

Schmik

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:11:36 AM »

Track day #1

First session: I didn't push hard by any means, I just wanted to do three or four laps and come in to check the bike for any issues. The bike felt good. The brakes did shake a lightly under braking, but they were brand new and over the next few sessions this went away.

Unfortunately the lap timer didn't work for a full session. I think the vibrations switched off or reset the GPS module.

The front guard was rubbing on the 70 profile front wheel, so off it came.

Second session was also good. I did a few more laps and started to work the brakes more. The suspension felt really good, but keep in mind Hidden Valley has been surfaced recently, so its very smooth.

The third session is were I met the first real issue of the day: The upper cooling pipe separated from the pump and dumped the fluid. Hose clamped both pipes and refilled with distilled water. Fairings, seat and side panels need to come off to refill water.

Forth session short to check, all ok.

Fifth Session was longer and opened it up coming on to the front straight as usual, it miss-fired in a big way. I brought it straight in. It then stalled rolling in to my pit area. Temps ok, didn't check the voltage. It started with difficulty.

I decided it was enough for the day, but wanted to do just one lap to observe symptoms. Putted around hardly on one cylinder. I'm assuming (and hoping) that the battery has just lost voltage during the day. Ill check later in the week when I work on it next.

If the problem is only as suspected, then I'm very happy with the choice: Go the Hyo! Handled good, wasn't floaty at all and felt confident/great/predictable under brakes.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »

A great track day report.

I too hope it is either the reg/rec or a coil as these are easily fixed for better gear.

If it is the coils, then let me know, as I may be able to help.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Schmik

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 01:18:57 AM »

Ive now tested the R/R and its working fine. The battery was also near to fully charged. The bike is running fine on start, idle and with blips in neutral. I am unable to put it through its paces until the next track day.

Now, this opens questions:

Did the R/R fail under heat/overuse? Did a coil start to fail under heat? I was using 95 Octane and will go back to 92. Did some of the leaking coolant get into the plug/lead contact or even some of the electrics? Ill check the plugs to see if that can tell me anything.

One other thing about my track day: I remember one friendly guy who came up to my bike and pressed down on the front forks. I saw the surprise on his face as the bike firmly and securely resisted his attempt to expose one of the Hyo's known flaws :) In saying that, Ive noticed the forks seeping a very small amount of oil.

Oggy knob kit has been ordered for the next meet.

ertert

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »

Did the R/R fail under heat/overuse? Did a coil start to fail under heat?

This is pretty likely. How many km's are there on the original parts?

My R/R failed @ around 5000 km's and was only failing to charge when hot. Also suspected the wiring harness contributed to this. Replaced with MOSFET R/R and connected new R/R directly to battery with an inline fuse.

My coils and/or HT leads failed @ around 13000 km's. Coils checked out fine when cold but after about 30 minutes riding bike would shut off. Replaced coil and leads with suzuki sv650 items.

Schmik

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 01:48:20 AM »

Thanks for the comments. The Bike has done 6,000 and Ill keep an eye on the coils and leads. Still dont know what would the best replacement will be for a 2012 EFI.

Track Day #2

Detailed blog and pics at http://trackagt650r.blogspot.com.au/

Changes:
- Fitted Oggy Knobs - The kit says only fits up to 2010, but it fit fine on my 2012. Fitting only took 15 mins.
- Cleaned and lubed the chain. Flushed the cooling system. Lifted the front wheel guard and refitted.
- Added a 14 tooth front sprocket - Needed to adjust the chain tension 1 mark out in compensation for the smaller sprocket.
- Rear tread - Fitted and balanced Q2.

I haven't been on a bike since the first track day, so it took me a while to get back into the flow. The bike is working fine, the brakes are great and other than the main straight where we are down on speed compared to the 1000s and sports 600s I was able to circulate with the pack, which is highly satisfying.

No problems with the R/R this time. I was keeping the revs down changing around the 8-9k down the main straight, but keeping the revs down in the 4-5k range around the rest of the track.

I had a low side! Im fine. I wasnt smooth on the throttle (the AIS plug is back in and may have contributed) and was moving my about body mid corner... rookie. Ground sliders, ground front axle bolt, ground handle bar end, the gear lever C-clip popped off..... and that's it. The Oggy knob did its job perfectly and did not bend up or break. I used lock wire which fit into the C-clip groove securing the gear lever in place and the bike was good to go again. Did another 2 sessions and was improving my lap times. Timing with Racechrono and internal GPS (ok for ball park lap times).

What a great bike :)

Softy325

• Training Wheels
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »

I recently bought an insurance write off 2013 GT650 EFI to do some track days.  I was surprised to find, during the prep, that the fork seals were leaking with only 5000km on the bike.  I pulled down the forks, bought new seals (41 x 53 x 8/10.5) and while putting the forks back together found there was a rediculous amount of play in the bottom fork bushs.  My theory is that there is so much play the seals can't hold the fork stem in place and oil seeps passed.  I did some google searching and found some bushes that matched the size and wow, what a difference.  PERFECT fit, NO play, no leaking fork seals.  This has got to be the fix for all those out there complaining about their seals leaking on relatively new bikes.  The Bushes are Tour Max (made in Japan).  Part number 34-001-03.  And dont believe Pyramid parts or ebay sellers that try to tell you their fork seals fit all GT650/s.  Rubbish.  They will send you 41 x 54 x 11 which is for the older models.

Schmik

• Training Wheels
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:46 AM »

found there was a rediculous amount of play in the bottom fork bushs.  My theory is that there is so much play the seals can't hold the fork stem in place and oil seeps passed.

Yes, you are absolutely correct! I have a little bit of seep on my 2012 and I will be changing the bottom bush on the next service. My friends 2013 has exactly the same problem as you. That part number is for a Harley KYB fork, but did the job just right.

Schmik

• Training Wheels
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »

Video from track day: a few laps under 5 mins long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwrUaF8oTk

The Track is Hidden Valley, Darwin, NT, Australia. The Camera is on my mates bike (the 2013 GT650) and following me on the 2012 GT650. Tyres: Dunlop Q2.

I think that the GT is a great bike to learn on! Its doing about 200 down the (long) straight and I feel comfortable and smooth in the corners.

From my conversations, there's about 8 seconds to gain around the track from were I am now. Ive got a fair way to go and the Hyo will be with me for a while yet.

Yes, I need to get my backside off the seat prior to the corner. Im moving across a bit, but didnt realise how little.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4