• October 22, 2018, 03:09:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Chain conversion with and wthout GT650 hub.  (Read 4113 times)

xequtor

• Training Wheels
Chain conversion with and wthout GT650 hub.
« on: March 24, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »

I'm in the process of conversion to chain on my GV650 after my belt snapped few days ago.
There are two versions,
one with the GT650 hub and extra 60mm spacer (you can use the original left 35mm and extra right 25mm spacer)
one with original hub and washers between hub an the rear sprocket

what are the pro and contras with GT650 hub and original hub?

I'm aiming for the original hub and washers between hub an the rear sprocket because no need for extended spacer and lower total cost.
I'm also collecting all the information scatter over few forums and treads to put a ultimate guide for chain conversion with all needed parts, prices for the conversion kits run for $200-250 or more when you can buy the parts your self for $100.

My parts for now:
16T 525 GT650 front sprocket - $13
44T 525 GT650 rear sprocket - $26
525VX reinforced 120 link X-Ring chain $55
washers - need to experiment what combination is the best
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:07:33 PM by xequtor »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Chain conversion with and wthout GT650 hub.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »

I thought anything would be better than a chain.... I'm guessing the belt isn't?  Don't all Harleys and some BMW's use belts?

Just wondering.....

Dodgef25

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:11:52 PM »

Nice good job.

I thought anything would be better than a chain.... I'm guessing the belt isn't?  Don't all Harleys and some BMW's use belts?

Just wondering.....

The problem isn't that the belt drive is bad, it is that a belt costs well over $330 plus shipping from Korea which can be another $30-50, plus wait for it a month or so.

The put together kits are around $200  and $10 shipping 2 days.

Now this user pieced it together for around $100.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »

Belts are far superior to chains for all sorts of reasons but you must keep them clean if you ride in the wet or dust and check that they are adjusted for the right tension every 1,000km (finger test). Too tight or too loose and the pully teeth wear and then the belt get chewed up.
You should be able to get 60,000+km from a belt.
A good belt supplier should be able to find you an after market equivalent belt far cheaper than a chain conversion.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

xequtor

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:40:47 PM »

@Hylife
Maybe theoreticly but in real live it is different, I drive ony in dry conditions w/o dust or such mostly on highways and after 10k Km belt snapped, the belt wheels are in perfect condition.
I don't know if you know but there is no aftermarket for the Hyosung belt, so the only option is to buy direct from dealer in addition to both belt wheels which should be changed at the same time just like with chain and sprockets.
But this would not be a problem if the price for a set would not be so high, I got quote for a set for 530!!! This is insane and there is nothing you can buy elsewhere, just OEM.
This is why I do chain conversion for about 140 in price riveting tool is included, DID 525VX chain and 16/44 sprockets.

xequtor

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »

got a GT650 hub for my conversion today and this is the way to go.
To have enough clearance between wheel/tire and chain (DID 525VX) you will need GT650 hub.
I'm waiting for few new front sprockets to see which will fit the best, tomorrow I will get them and make some pictures of the setting and BOM for all the parts I used.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »

after 10k Km belt snapped

Faulty belt or tension not adjusted correctly. No way it should fail in 10K km.

in addition to both belt wheels which should be changed at the same time
No need to replace pullys if they are in good condition. That would be like changing your camshafts every time you fit a new  timing belt. Just crazy.

there is no aftermarket for the Hyosung belt

Yeah there is, just approach a reputable belt distributor with your old belt. Shouldn't pay more than $150 for a belt. Sure not everyone is comfortable with that extra work to source a part and then doing the job yourself, but that is what the dealers are relying on.

would not be a problem if the price for a set would not be so high

Original brand prices are always high, just like OEM car timing belts, because owners won't get off their butts and do the ground work to find an alternative supplier and also they wont do the job themselves, they get a dealer to fit it who naturally will always sell you the high priced OEM part because it makes him more profit, and make you mortgage your kidneys for the labour costs.
With no obvious choice, owners, unhappily maybe at first, cough up the $$$ and the manufacturers & importers & dealers make a killing. Complain we may at the initial shock, but when most owners actually do the math and have had 60-80,000km or more of trouble free riding without having to mess about with dirty old chains, we factor in the price we would have paid adjusting and replacing chains and sprockets, and, quite frankly $500 is still cheaper and worth the near zero maintenance of belts.
Heck, even dinosaur designed HD's use drive belts now between the engine and gearbox, and very few HD bikes sold are now anything but belt final drive.

The average 4 cylinder car timing belt lasts for 100,000km and is sold by OEM dealers for $300+ but any good auto parts store can get you an after market one just as good for $50, but your dealer won't touch anything they haven't supplied.

2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

xequtor

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »

little update, while still waiting for different front sprockets.
I got first the hub from GT650i R 2009- (will have to send it back) but the rear sprocket was 0.08 mm smaller as the from GV650 so I ordered one from GT650 N 2006 (cost me about 18EUR) which I got today and it fits perfect (well is about 0.01 mm smaller but still in norm)
The rear sprocket from GT650i R 2009- was too loose on the hub.

The main difference between GT650 and GV650 hub is that the one from GT650 is 8.8mm higher which gives you the needed clearance between chain and tire and if you add few washers between sprocket and the hub you can gain additional 3mm.
I'll post bunch of pics if I'm done, maybe this weekend.

xequtor

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 08:33:24 PM »

update:

Parts used:
I used sprockets from JT Sprockets
Front sprocket: Suzuki SV650 JTF520.16 with 1.4mm washer, you can use F1537.16 for Kawa KLV 1000 w/o washer
Rear sprocket: Hyosung GT650 R1074.44
Hub: Hyosung GT650 2006 w/o washers between sprocket and hub.
Rear left wheel Spacer from GV650 to make 60mm distance for the GT650 hub, Hyosung part # YL1267
Chain: DID 525VX 118 links (116 may also work) with 118 I'm on 3rd marking counted form swing end.
no need to spent $250 for a kit. I paid for all parts 140 EUR plus DID riveting tool 40 EUR.

The aliment front and rear sprocket is almost perfect, chain to tire clearance is perfect.

Chain covers and swing plastic cover (top and bottom needs some plastic removal) need some work to avoid the chain hitting the covers

don't buy a cheap riveting tool like the one in eBay with 14-13 pieces for about 20 Euro, the metal is too soft.
I used one for DID, cost about 40 Euro and wort the investment.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:09:33 PM by xequtor »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 10:30:31 PM »

xequtor,

Curious why you used a 520 front sprocket and a 525 rear and 525 chain?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Pages: [1] 2 3