• October 19, 2018, 06:11:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2012 gv650 pro, not running well.  (Read 2313 times)

blues

• Training Wheels
2012 gv650 pro, not running well.
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm having an issue with my 2012 gv650 pro. The bike seems to be missing at idle and at low revs (particularly after it has warmed up, seems ok when cold and idling) , it runs fine above the 80 k/h mark but once you start slowing down below that it starts to run rough, no backfiring or anything like that, just like its running on 1 cylinder and will stall when stopped at lights and starts fine straight away but then when you accelerate you almost have to use full throttle till all of a sudden the power kicks in and your almost on 'ya back wheel...
The bike is completely standard which I've owned since new. I have replaced the spark plugs and leads to no benefit and was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction before i spend cash on things i might not need.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

hydrax

• Regular rider
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: 2012 gv650 pro, not running well.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 11:17:28 AM »

I have the same model/year of bike. I was experiencing fairly similar symptoms where even at low speed it was STRUGGLING to move and the gear changes where often near impossible. Would get worse when I'd been riding for a while. Was ready to set fire to the thing lol.

But, I changed the oil and oil filter and then it was good as new. Was expecting to do a lot more, like I bought plugs ready to replace but haven't bothered yet because it is running great now.

I used Silkolene Super 4 Motorcycle Semi Synthetic Oil.
2012 GV650 Aquila Sport EFI

blues

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »

Thanks Hydrax for your reply, I'll order myself a filter kit and see if it makes a difference although it seems electrical but it is about due for a servce. I'll report back at the end of the week when i have changed the oil. Certainly rather try that than start looking at regulators and coils.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »

...just like its running on 1 cylinder ..

Get yourself some carby-injector cleaner in a tankful of NEW juice.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

blues

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »

Thanks Hylife, I'll add that to my shopping list.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »

Does one cylinder seem hotter than the other?

If you want to try something that will only cost you some time but zero dollars;
Remove the spark plugs and compare the colours. They should look the same. If one is different then it is either a fuel or spark problem (of course).

If you have already changed the plugs and leads the next step is the coils.
If you remove the left side cover and go for a ride there may be a markedly different temperature to each coil and this is a sure sign that one is failing. You can remove the coils and refit them on the opposite cylinder (swap). EG use the front one on the rear cylinder and the rear one on the front cylinder and test again. If the same one is getting hotter in the other position then replace both coils.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

blues

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »

That was my next step after the service, the only reason i was trying the oil change first is that when i changed the plugs they looked almost brand new with both being the same colour (not black or burnt but rather light grey).If i finish work earlier enough today i will certainly change them over and act on your advice. I haven't noticed Any temp variations between the cylinders but will check also.
Thanks again for all the tips.

blues

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »

Think I might have found the problem, my voltage is 13.4 at idle and when i Rev it it goes to 14.5 when cold but when it's hot and I Rev it it reads 13.4 so the ecu is shuting down 1 cylinder
I hope to run a heavy wire from the regulator to the starter relay or directly to the battery with a fusable link, will let you all know what happens tomorrow

blues

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:43:33 AM »

Thanks for all the help guys but the problem was the regulator. All back together and running like brand new. Best of all it was a $10 fix.
Happy and safe riding everyone.

hydrax

• Regular rider
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:49 AM »

Nice one, so heavier gauge wire did the trick?
2012 GV650 Aquila Sport EFI

Pages: [1] 2