• August 18, 2017, 10:57:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: no spark and no power to coils  (Read 2585 times)

jay05

• Training Wheels
no spark and no power to coils
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:49:13 AM »

I have a 2009 with 1,100 miles that ran fine yesterday. Today when I went to start it, no start. I checked the spark and it doesn't have any. No power to either coil either. I do have a 2008 that I swaped the cdi box and still nothing. Any help please as I'm not good at electrical! I did check all of the connections and everything seems to be connected.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: no spark and no power to coils
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »

Is the pick-up coil connected?

If you have recently unplugged the reg/rec it is possible that you may have muddled up the connector for the CDI's sensor with the charging circuit for the battery.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

jay05

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »

Yes it is connected. Nothing was touched on the bike between when it was running Saturday until Sunday when it wouldn't start and didn't have spark.

jay05

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »

All connections seem plugged in. If I bypass the kill switch it still doesn't have any spark.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:03:16 PM »

How did you do the test for spark?

Did you press the plug against unpainted metal, such as the brace that your fuel tank bolts to? Keep in mind that healthy spark can be hard to see (razor thin blue arc), but you sure can hear it!

With the ignition on, but engine off, does one of the blades on the coil test as 12VDC and the other test as continuous to ground?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

jay05

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »

Yes I am testing by using the holder bracket for the coils, on the bolt. I can hold it and no spark. I used a test light on the power wire on each coil and it doesn't light up. I tried new spark plugs and still nothing.

jay05

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »

Checking wires to coil, one white with blue and one black with yellow with a multi meter it shows 0. Battery is showing 12 right now but I am going to charge it since I have been having power on while trying to check different things.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »

No power is going to the coils. With the ignition on, one terminal should be live. This is however a symptom, not the root cause.

Checked fuses? Also, check that the fuse is getting 12V with ignition on.

Check wiring to CDI. Is it getting power?

Got the wiring diagram? It'll help.

Check the wiring for the ignition barrel and the plug for your RHS forward controls. Although if either of those weren't right, I would presume that the starter wouldn't fire either.

Bypassing the SSS is a good idea. Do the same for the clutch, although it shouldn't matter. Call it for lols.

Earth wiring is notoriously poor. Run a THICK wire from the battery -'ve to the chassis. Crimp a ring terminal to each end of the wire, undo one of the relay bolts and double it up with that.

jay05

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »

I don't have a wiring diagram. Do you know what color the power wires are for the cdi and ignition? I only saw two fuses on the battery holder. One is good and the other has no power. The second one is only a spare? Is there more fuses somewhere else? Where are the relays? The ignition seems fine as the digital speedometer powers on and so does the starter, horn, signals, etc.

jay05

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

The orange with black wore to the cdi does have power.

Pages: [1] 2 3