• August 22, 2018, 03:06:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Brand new GT650R starter died?  (Read 1383 times)

Crashtastic

• Training Wheels
Brand new GT650R starter died?
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »

G'day All.

Took delivery of my brand new GT650R yesterday, and took her for a 10 KM spin to the servo.

Went to fire her up, and get that heart sinking "click", no starter turning over.

Tried roll starting it, but it was a tiny servo area and I'm not super confident handling large (well, heavier then 150KG) road bikes as of yet. She tried but kept compression locking the rear on TDC.

Called a mate to pick me up and whisked home to grab the multimeter and the tools.

Shorted the solenoid. Nothing.
Tested the battery voltage, 12.6v
Continuity tested the solenoid when I hit the start button. Beeeeep. So that's all good.
Tested earth to the starter motor. Seems good.
Continuity tested the live lead from the solenoid to the motor. Also good.
Measured 12.6 V at the motor terminal when I hit the button.

My guesses are either cooked motor, or a cooked lead that craps out as soon as any kind of current is presented to it. Money's on the former.

Bikes gone to the RACV depot, lets hope the dealer will cover transport costs.

Is this something that other people have encountered? If so, are there any related issues I should get the dealer to check? (looking at you R/R. Not that I'm sure how that would cook a starter...). Just my luck eh?

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Brand new GT650R starter died?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »

Hyosung are known for the quality of their reg/recs. They're so good in fact that the Chinese are eager to learn the secret of making something so magnificently temporary. Probably why your dealer is looking at it. Admiring it even. Praising it for keeping them in business.

Do get warranty if it's so new, but be under no illusion here. Any bike with a stock reg/rec cannot ever be relied upon.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »

Upside-Down,  you always fill me with such confidence in my 5 year old totally standard bike!! :o :o

Ha! Ha! Seriously though, I know the reg/rec can be a weak spot, but on a brand new bike??

Crashtastic - get that dealer working hard under warranty.  Good luck.

Crashtastic

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »

Not sure if I wrote that a bit ambiguously, but as far as I know the reg/rec is fine. I was saying that I'll have it looked at while the things down for warranty work.

Any catastrophic failure on a brand new bike is unacceptable in my books, but I guess quality control is the first thing that goes on the chopping block when it comes to price cutting.   

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »

I had a re-read of the symptoms.

I'd say that the battery is faulty, even though it's showing 12.6V. My guess is that under load, it is dropping to a useless level. I base this opinion on the click noise.

I wonder if they filled the battery properly?

Else, it might even be the reg/rec, it could be that reg didn't clip voltage as it should and let the voltage go way high, like 16+V and the battery 'boiled'. (Not actually boiling, just looks like it from the bubbles made as the bat charges). This would present as a low fluid level and high initial voltage, but with no follow through. (Fits scenario pretty well).

My suggestion would be to check the fluid level in the battery and top up /charge / replace the battery and also test the voltage at the battery as the bike hovers around 5k rpm. If over 14.6V, then a diode in the reg/rec isn't shunting properly.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 01:44:11 PM by umop-ǝpisdn »
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Crashtastic

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »

My moneys still on the starter, based on the fact that I had 12.6 volts while I held the button (solenoid/relay open). So there's an open circuit in the motor. This is based on the fact that when the motor was fed 12.6 v, the battery voltage didn't drop, at all. So no/mininal load. With starters, if they fail they'll either generate and open circuit or a short.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »

+1 on a flat battery. If you have just ridden her she should read over 13 volts.
Try jump starting with a car battery.

1. Key on, gears in neutral.
2. Neg jumper lead to a good unpainted part of the bike.
3. Swipe over the pos jumper lead to the terminal under the small rubber boot on the starter motor itself.

does starter motor turn over?
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

Crashtastic

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 12:00:10 AM »

Tried jump and roll starting. Even left the leads on for 10 mins running the donor car to try and top up the battery.

Greenhornhyo

• Regular rider
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 05:41:43 AM »

I say bad ground wire.

Crashtastic

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 06:30:07 AM »

There was continuity between the motor and the ground batt terminal, but as to how good the connection was, who can say.

That being said, I would expect something from the motor at least, rather then nothing at all.

Pages: [1] 2 3