• September 21, 2018, 07:25:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: clutch or carbs?  (Read 5201 times)

stutit

• Training Wheels
clutch or carbs?
« on: November 01, 2015, 03:52:16 PM »

Hi :).  Im new here and read alot of usefull info already.  I have gt125 naked 03 and i stripped it down and rebuilt engine as best i could. I have it running and ticking over nicely but when i try to pull away in gear it loses power and cuts out(not the side stand switch).  I thought it might be clutch but my friend says carbs.  I have no idea how to set up carbs.  My question is basically would the clutch slip that much the bike would shut off under load?  Thanks :)

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
Re: clutch or carbs?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:20:14 AM »

If your clutch was slipping the revs would increase without the engine and gearbox engaging. Are you able to give it some revs while sat in neutral to go from pilots to mains? What sort of cut out is it. Gradual die or instant shut off?

It sounds like the symptoms of a blocked or partially blocked main jet at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:31:32 AM by Joss »

stutit

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:42:34 AM »

Hi . it revs fine in neutral.  When i knock it in to first with clutch in it revs fine too.  When i slowly release the clutch the bike seems to want to edge forward but then it cuts out.  If i pull clutch back in quick enough i can catch it and keep the engine idling.  I stripped down carb yesterday and cleaned everything i could.  It got too dark to put carbs back on bike so i will do it later after work.  Thanks for the reply mate :)

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:41:03 PM »

Probably should of asked this earlier but when you said you've rebuilt the engine did you have the clutch out? Have you adjusted it up properly?

stutit

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »

Yeah i had clutch out. I took the side casing off and double checked i put it back right.  As far as i can see its all ok other than i may have over tightened springs a little.   I stripped and cleaned carbs and put them back on bike today.  The clutch iis fully released then a second or so later bike will move forward a little now but then cuts out again

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 08:19:36 AM »

Then you have something wrong with the clutch. That's not slipping it's just not engaging smoothly and sounds like your stalling it.

Slacken the clutch off at the lever. Remove the clutch and refit properly (check plate thickness if you didn't put new in) also while there you might want to use some 400/600 wet and dry on the steel friction plates again if you haven't put new in. Use a torque wrench to tighten the springs and adjust cable up properly. All this is in the manual.

stutit

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »

So i just rub down the metal plates to generate more grip?  I didn't use new plates because it all seemed to work fine before i stripped it.  The plate swere out the bike for a week or so and i didnt resoak them before i put them back in. Do you think that would make it slip more?  Im definatly not stalling it lol

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »

Your just putting an abrasive edge for the friction plates to generate.. well... friction against. If the plates are too worn your wasting your time. You need to measure them first, then decide from there.

I'm not saying you are stalling the bike, it sounds like the clutch is not engaging smoothly, you said you had the lever fully out, then a second or two later the clutch bites, that's going to choke the engine and cause a stall.

Disassemble the clutch and start from scratch. I cant remember off the top of my head if the steel friction plates are numbered on the 125's. I think not but I noted them when I did my clutch to be sure they went back in the same order. Your not soaking them wont of made much difference at this stage. If you fit a new clutch I'd recommend doing it.

stutit

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »

I have another set of clutch plates and friction plates i can try from a spare engine i have.  I never noticed they were numbered or anything.  Thanks for the info mate.  I will reply with my progress if thats fine with you :)

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »

Yeah that would be great.
Heres some pics of when I did mine (I post them all on my website for both bikes). You can clearly see the difference in thickness of the old versus new. You can also see how I measured them. Make sure to measure them from the other engine too, you could be replacing worn for worn and wont get anywhere. You might as well stick new plates in since you've got it to bits.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6