• July 20, 2017, 03:30:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tachometer DIY  (Read 984 times)

krehlick

• Learner rider
Tachometer DIY
« on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »

Now starting this topic, the question is not how to make it, but how to do it?!

A buddy and I already did a test circuit board and it works fine. It was a but slow on declining,but we sorted that out in a minute.
I would like to get your inputs on what you think of the looks? We didn't do the PCB yet so it can be modified.
The process after building the PCB will include some sawing with a dremel, fabricating a few plastic parts to hold the PCB in placew and making the window from plexiglass, taking care that the housing is waterproof...

There's a ton of little things I haven't mentioned, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

[img=http://s19.postimg.org/l1okxcp9b/2016_02_24_19_55_30_RPM4_001_3939_KB_Rhinoce.jpg]

Ignore the fact that it's reving in red in 3rd gear and neutral in the same time, details :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:38:11 PM by krehlick »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Tachometer DIY
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:19 AM »

Nice layout. Is the redline 8,500 on your bike? ;)
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

krehlick

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:24:53 AM »

To be honest, I have no idea where to put the red line! It's there just to...be there I guess
Maybe just one red diode od 10400 :D

I guess redline would be from 10500-13000, but since i kicked out thoose high numbers because they will never light up, not sure does this make sense?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:30:47 AM by krehlick »

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »

I really like this idea. I've been toying with putting a gt650 cluster in my gv to get a  tach but if this is cheap I'd consider it 

Ps good luck with a gear indicator with no sending unit I doubt it would be possible 

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:59:23 AM »

I'd puta couple yellow on the way to 10500 and a red at 10500

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »

EFI ECU rev limiter is supposed to cut in at 10500 rpm so 11k would be all you need.
There are lots of electronic rev counters (tacho) out there to play with to confirm how far you need to go. If you buy one that uses inductive coupling to the front HT lead it must have a times two feature.

Yours looks pretty but it is only a photoshop mock up at this stage, yes?

Would be nice to see a finished product that worked, including the gear position indictor.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

krehlick

• Learner rider
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »

as far as the sending unit for the gear indicator goes, gv650  has a built in sender with 7 positions (6 gears + neutral) .  Mine is a 08 with Mitsubishi ECU. Safe to presume thats it's the same for the gt650. The catch is that you have to open it up and solder al the wires you need, because it only has 2 wires for neutral and some safety switch,  I forgot which one.

Tested it with an instrument and works like a charm,  just waiting for the display to arrive so I can install it.

I can throw a few snaps of the indicator if you wan't, it's quite simple to do.
The harder part is to find a place for it or make a place for it as I will

krehlick

• Learner rider
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »

@hylife

Unfortunatelly, I had a video of the test circuit that shows it in action, but I lost it with my old phone.  I'll do another one just for show when I  put the circuit back together. It's set for 11k, I'm glad you say it would do!

At this stage it is just a mock up.
Wirring is prepared. At the moment I'm waiting for the gear indicator display to arrive and making the final pcb layout before I send it to print. Not until we started working on the pcb did we figured out how many little mistakes I did in the sketch. That's all sorted now.

I'm hoping in a month it will be installed.

And cheap is not the game here, it's gonna be around 55-60$, but I wanted that look.

Making the pcb's is 40$ alone, so...
Maybe important to say that I'm getting three pcb's for that 40$, so if you need one, sign up 😀
parts around 10$ for the tach
gear indicator around 10$ including the epoxy I had to buy to close the sender unit after cracking it open.  10$ more or less overall,  depending what you don't have.

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »

I consider $55 to be very reasonable. Any quality tach will cost that much.

I had no idea there was a gear sender in there. That's awesome!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

krehlick

• Learner rider
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »

yeah, the gear indicator is really the cheapest option. Ebay offers all kinds. You can disable the little green N on the dash and kick a huge N where you want including a gear position.
Not sure for the 250's, but I doubt it's any different

Pages: [1] 2