• December 18, 2017, 03:21:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trailtech Vapor and Indicator Dash Install  (Read 1823 times)

kennylxix

• Regular rider
Trailtech Vapor and Indicator Dash Install
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:48:03 PM »

OK. It has begun. My stock dash has been broken since I got my bike and I'm finally doing something about it.

I just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TYFY80/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By my measurements the mounting bracket will line up perfectly with the two holes on the handle bars (60mm apart). 

I am going to use the double turn signal, High Beam, Neutral and low fuel lights (arduino custom RGB Led coming to indicate fuel level)

I will order the black Vapor kit tomorrow after I pull the temp sensor and figure out what thread it is.

Should be a pretty straight forward install.

Sent from my butt using Tapatalk

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

kennylxix

• Regular rider
Re: Trailtech Vapor and Indicator Dash Install
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:28:05 AM »

I pulled the water temp sensor and determined that its 1/8 national pipe thread (npt).  Unfortunately trailtech does not make a suitable sensor.  So I ended up ordering the kit with the 25mm hose sensor.  I wanted to avoid this since I won't get an accurate reading until the thermostat opens but oh well.

I worked with trailtech and determined that the kit designed for the sv650 is the best option.  It is kit number 752-600.  I'll be installing it and the indicator dash this weekend.

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:52:13 AM »

Got the kit in today. Im impressed by the apparent build quality if everything.  Wires and connectors feel quality.

So far most things look good. The only major issue I foresee is the speed sensor wire is comically short. Now I need to decide if I'm going to wait for an extension or just extend it myself.  I will probably just extend it since this is a pretty low frequency signal. 

More info and install pics tomorrow!

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:53:49 AM »

BTW is anyone interested I this?  If no one is I may not bother documenting the install etc.

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »

Got it partway installed.  I'm going to finish the wiring and take more pics when I get the extension for the speed sensor.  I'm more than happy with how the install is going. Now I can see the actual temp of the bike and adjust my idle (it was low)

Teaser pic

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »

That is one very clean looking dash!
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 03:08:07 AM »

Thanks. I'll get better pics when its done but I couldn't be happier with how it looks. So much cleaner than the chrome monstrosity.

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 08:51:59 PM »

OK so install is done.

I modified the stock aluminum bracket that comes with the indicator lights so I could mount it upside down from its normal orientation (just had to grind a little for wire clearance)

The temp sensor that comes with the inline water sensor is the right pitch for the thermostat housing but isn't a pipe thread.  I used a decent amount of black rtv to seal it in.  I figured since its a pretty low pressure system it should be fine (No leaks so far)

The rotor magnet bolt kit has one that fits but the stock bolt has a shoulder that fits the rotor.  I went ahead and used the magnet bolt anyway. I may decide later to put the stock bolt back and epoxy a magnet on the rotor(or not).

The speed sensor fits on the bottom of the down tube no problem. The kit I got ended up being about 6 inches too short.  I just extended mine but they do sell longer ones as well as extensions.

I used the low voltage connection to a coil.  I tried the inductive pickup but the readig s were erratic.  The stock setting worked for the rpm calibration.

I took the stock gauge harness and grafted the indicator harness into it.  Its a little tricky as some of the lights are power and some are grounding. I also tapped into the key on power and ground in the same harness for power to the dash.  I hooked up l r turn signals and neutral. I decided not to hook up the high beams since its really easy to tell if they are on.

So my impressions are generally good.
The Vapor itself seems to be extremely high quality. The wiring and connectors are top notch.  I love the added features such as being able to actually tell what temp the engine is and the tachometer.

The indicator dash is just OK.  It seems like it was designed and manufactured by a different company.  I'm glad i got it but I don't think its worth $50.

Pics soon.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:00:00 PM by kennylxix »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »

..and it's black!
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

kennylxix

• Regular rider
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:12:30 PM »

Ok here are few pics:

Turn signal on:

Rotor bolt:

Adhesive backed speed sensor:

Temp Sending Unit:

Bottom of Bracket showing required trimming for wire clearance:

View from the top (still need to loom some wiring)

Backlight on:

Pages: [1] 2 3